I just saw Led Zeppelin.

PDA

View Full Version : I just saw Led Zeppelin.

pbskl
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
So I'm studying abroad in Prague right now, and tonight me and some friends went to a local music bar for a "Led Zeppelin Revival". I could not have possibly anticipated what was in store. You know how cover bands usually can nail everything except the vocals? You know how if there's one singer you're never gonna be able to imitate, it's Robert Plant? Well, you were wrong. So was I. This guy sounded EXACTLY like Plant, you could close your eyes and you'd never know the difference. The drummer captured the raw energy and exuberance of Bonham flawlessly. And the guitar... oh sweet mother of God. This man shredded impossibly hard the entire show. It was 50% right off "How the West Was Won" Zeppelin goodness and 50% this guy literally melting his guitar -- Page himself would have been impressed. Would have let this guy play on stage with him, even. I could not believe it, I have never witnessed such outstanding guitar live, EVER... Paul Waggs, Rodriguez-Lopez [EDIT: originally listed the singer, d'oh!), Hammett, Eric Krasno, no one touched him. The only remotely comparable performance I've seen was Anastasio and I still think this was better. They played four, count 'em, four encores... you could close your eyes and you might as well have been at a 77 Zeppelin show, and I saw them from four feet away in a tiny intimate venue in a basement in the Czech Republic for 8$.

If you are EVER here, see this band. I can't even describe what just happened. I can now die happy. Sorry this is kind of a pointless thread, I am just SO PUMPED I just saw that I couldn't help but share it here. Now... time to shred my own guitar.. night, UG.

blue_strat
10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
So what are they called? Just Led Zeppelin Revival?

pbskl
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
So what are they called? Just Led Zeppelin Revival?

Yep. It's kind of hard to tell because it's all in Czech but those were the only English words so I assume that's it.

Banjocal
10-28-2010, 08:04 PM
so...a band copied another band to the exact measure? no changing anything to make it thier own...no personality to it?

edgeyyz
10-28-2010, 08:08 PM
No bassist? Damn...

Reighnart
10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Banjocal can you explain your signature to me, I feel as though I'm too dense to get how clever it is.

pbskl
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
so...a band copied another band to the exact measure? no changing anything to make it thier own...no personality to it?

Sorry, yes there was a bassist I just was too busy watching this guitarist and the singer.

See, here's the thing... normally I'd agree, but it was just SO impressive, and the guitarist made it stand out. He was constantly laying down the sweetest solos imaginable, he never copied the solos unless it was so iconic a riff that it had to be included, and he would still merely reference it while doing his own thing.

I found a recording if anyone is interested:

http://www.led-zeppelin-revival.cz/mp3/since.mp3

sglover34479
10-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Banjocal can you explain your signature to me, I feel as though I'm too dense to get how clever it is.
Abm. Say it out loud.

theogonia777
10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
thread title is a lie TS. you have dishonored your forefathers and must repent. seppuku is your only option!

Reighnart
10-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh wow, thanks. And I've totally heard that joke before too. Feel soooo stupid.

Godblues
10-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Bixler-Zavala??You do mean Rodriguez-Lopez ,don't you?

On the other hand,i would love to see a Led Zep cover band as good as you just described.

pbskl
10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Bixler-Zavala??You do mean Rodriguez-Lopez ,don't you?

On the other hand,i would love to see a Led Zep cover band as good as you just described.

Haha yep, my bad. It was pretty damn late here when I posted this. But yeah, it was the most unexpectedly awesome night I've had in... I don't even know how long.

CreepingDeath13
10-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Abm. Say it out loud.
id did... I too do not get it....

mtforever
10-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry, yes there was a bassist I just was too busy watching this guitarist and the singer.

See, here's the thing... normally I'd agree, but it was just SO impressive, and the guitarist made it stand out. He was constantly laying down the sweetest solos imaginable, he never copied the solos unless it was so iconic a riff that it had to be included, and he would still merely reference it while doing his own thing.

I found a recording if anyone is interested:

http://www.led-zeppelin-revival.cz/mp3/since.mp3

They certainly are a good cover band, but I disagree with your assessment.

That vocalist doesn't sound at all like plant. He sounds quite similar when he isn't pushing his voice, but as soon as he does, he loses the plantesque' quality. I can tell that he has some sort accent as well.

bulby
10-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Sorry but I can't hear what's amazing about this singer. He's seriously forcing it on the higher notes, the soft parts aren't very fluid as well.
If you want to hear a great singer pull off the Led Zep songs get the Black Crowes - Live at the Greek w. Jimmy Page CD (1999). Chris Robinson is really nailing it there, stays himself but fits the songs perfectly. Shame his live singing has deteriorated noticeably since then.

However, I do like the guitarist a lot. Plays with a lot of finesse and emotion, great tone too. But I think he should concentrate on writing and performing original musical pieces and finding his own sound, having a full-time gig in a tribute band is a waste of talent. In the end, there can be only one Jimmy Page.

BrainDamage
10-30-2010, 06:17 PM
If you want to hear a great singer pull off the Led Zep songs get the Black Crowes - Live at the Greek w. Jimmy Page CD (1999). Chris Robinson is really nailing it there, stays himself but fits the songs perfectly. Shame his live singing has deteriorated noticeably since then. Chris Robinson sounds much better today then he did 10 years ago. On another note, I think Jimmy was the weak link of the Page/Crowes tour.

KurdtStaley
10-30-2010, 07:32 PM
If you want to find someone to imitate Robert Plant just find a 14 year old girl with a masculine voice.

bulby
10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Chris Robinson sounds much better today then he did 10 years ago. On another note, I think Jimmy was the weak link of the Page/Crowes tour.

Hmmm, he's still a great singer and I love him to death but I find his live singing voice being kind of "muffled" nowadays. Sounds a bit more tired and out of breath compared to his performances on the Jimmy Page tour. Both "Live at the Greek" and "Warpaint Live" are in regular rotation on my car stereo and that's how it seems to me.

Don't know about Jimmy being the weak link, I think everybody is playing his ass off on this that particular live CD. Especially Steve Gorman, I don't think I've ever heard another drummer play Led Zep so awesome!

BrainDamage
10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmmm, he's still a great singer and I love him to death but I find his live singing voice being kind of "muffled" nowadays. Sounds a bit more tired and out of breath compared to his performances on the Jimmy Page tour. Both "Live at the Greek" and "Warpaint Live" are in regular rotation on my car stereo and that's how it seems to me. Chris has definitely toned it down in recent years, but I think it's for the better. He really sounded rough during some of those '05-'06 shows where they went all out with three hour rock and roll shows, but ever since he's sounded better every year. The vocals on Before the Frost...Until the Freeze are very strong, and the vocals on this year's Croweology are fantastic.

Don't know about Jimmy being the weak link, I think everybody is playing his ass off on this that particular live CD. Especially Steve Gorman, I don't think I've ever heard another drummer play Led Zep so awesome! I'm as big a Zeppelin fan as anyone here but Page was definitely the weak link in my opinion. Listen to Sloppy Drunk, which is a classic Crowes cover that the band absolutely smokes, but Page sticks out like a sore thumb. I agree with you about Gorman though...he's a monster behind the kit. Always has been and still is.

ron666
10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Are you sure it was them?? I thought their last concert was in the London O2 venue back in 2007 or 2008.

If so, jeez are you ever lucky. I wish I could see Led Zep.

ron666

BrainDamage
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you sure it was them?? I thought their last concert was in the London O2 venue back in 2007 or 2008.

If so, jeez are you ever lucky. I wish I could see Led Zep.

ron666 Did you even read his post? :facepalm:

Thefallofman
11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Both "Live at the Greek" and "Warpaint Live" are in regular rotation on my car stereo and that's how it seems to me.
Chris is sounding a lot better now than he did for those '08 shows. I think he must just be taking better care of it or something now. Even the show I saw in '09 was miles ahead of the one I caught in '08 vocally.

Live At The Greek is great though, and I agree that Page is the weak link. When I heard it the first time I was blown away by Gorman, Chris and Audley. They really did an amazing job.

BrainDamage
11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I think he must just be taking better care of it or something now. From what I've heard, he's stopped smoking on tour.

guitarsruleyeah
11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Speaking of Led Zep, Anyone heard Robert Plant's latest solo album? Wondering if it's any good.