Managing the band

PDA

View Full Version : Managing the band

adambassman
12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
OK so I was wondering how other bands manage themselves. Like do you have anyone who is kinda a leader who sorts things (i.e when practice is on etc) out or does it just click. Like during practice to you have a structure or just go with the flow? And also any advice on keeping motivation and work rate up? (I know I have lots of posts about the band I'm in but we still need to work on motivation)

BlitzkriegAir
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
during practice have a set list that you do each time you practice, after that have a small break/band meeting about events or just chit chat, after that jam

rinse
repeat

HoppusFanboy
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
My band kinda splits up stuff. I end up leading things when we are writing, suggesting things to try and where the songs should go and such, our drummer does most of the business stuff, setting up shows and scheduling events (photos, recording and such), our singer ends up conceptualizing, artwork and band image... As for schedule at practice, I've found warming up for a bit and then chatting and seeing what people wanna work on or talking about the song we're writing and then just getting down to business. Stay focused on what you're doing. If you're writing, don't waste time practicing songs that are in the bag, you can work on getting tight once writings finished.

Just my opinion based off what's been working good for us.

SlackerBabbath
12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Read this two part blog, it should help.

Part 1 http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51119/
Part 2 http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51018/

duhpunk
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Our singer and myself kind of co-manage everything. Him and our other guitarist drive about half an hour for practice so we kind of coordinate for practice times, shows, etc. But I'm trying to take more of a managerial role in the group just because I have a bit more experience in dealing with people, but a few of the other guys take it upon themselves to contact people about shows and it becomes a bit messy because they don't know what kind of questions to ask and what info to provide. So it's a workin progress

801Current
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
My band kinda goes with the flow...which seems to land us at fast food resturaunts or on the couch watching TV or on Halo...how do I get us back on track???? I have read part one of So you want to be in a band? up until the deeper marketing parts since we haven't had our first gig yet :o any ideas to jump start us...we have potential free gigs, but have trouble practicing more than once a week with the entire band

adambassman
02-26-2011, 12:00 PM
My band kinda goes with the flow...which seems to land us at fast food resturaunts or on the couch watching TV or on Halo...how do I get us back on track???? I have read part one of So you want to be in a band? up until the deeper marketing parts since we haven't had our first gig yet :o any ideas to jump start us...we have potential free gigs, but have trouble practicing more than once a week with the entire band

ha ye ours seems to stray like yours does, im kinda lost too on how to get back on track, we did for a bit and it then died down for a little while

Hail
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM

Really, I'm starting to think that any post/blog SlackerBabbath has ever done should be stickied in this forum.

adambassman
06-20-2011, 06:51 PM

thanks sorry for late reply and thanks blog is great

JetPackBlues
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
In my band, I sort of do everything (not talking music-wise here)

I record/mix all our music, book practices, I just finished the cover art for our EP, and when gigs are available, I'm the guy booking them. The singer also helps with this stuff, but mostly it's me. I find it's not too demanding to do all of this if the rest of your band also pulls their weight. It really comes down to how helpful your band is, and how much stuff you have to do as manager.

scguitarking927
06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
We have a giant white board we ganked from a local high school, when they were refurbishing the buildings lol.

We use it for everything. We have our set list up there. (3 different ones, so we can cycle through songs, with out arguing on what to change from show to show). We have our goals for the band (2 new songs a month, perform 6 shows this month, 10 next month, min of 50 in a year, etc). Venues we are cycling through, with contact info. Random people's numbers(promoters, booking agents, other band's info that we play with). Dates of shows.

We generally take the first 15 minutes of practice to kind of see if there is anything new, any new gig opportunities to follow up on. New contact found or something and update everything.

The point of it is to really just give yourself a visual reference of how you are doing. And to help organize information.

It make it easier to manage yourself I think. Usually myself and vocalist take the lead on booking and promotion, but we all do our part to finding shows, getting contacts.

AlanHB
06-21-2011, 12:41 AM
We have a giant white board we ganked from a local high school, when they were refurbishing the buildings lol.

Whiteboards are definitely great tools for band practice. They're great for writing down chords and structures of new songs as they're being worked out.

Otherwise general rules for practice are:

1. Make a set night, starting and ending time for practice.

2. Practice is 3 hours max. It ends when it ends. 2 hours is generally enough.

3. Practice is not a place for "learning". You learn your parts at home, and you practice them with the other people at practice. If somebody doesn't know their part, skip to the next song.

4. Have an idea of what you are going to do before you practice, and tell the other guys "hey tonight we're going to work on that one or two songs" or "we have to fix x song". That sort of thing. So you don't just "go with the flow", you have an idea why you're all at practice, or in a band at all.

5. When you run out of stuff to do, end the practice session.

6. Generally everyone stays on their instrument for the practice session. Sure, yes, you can go piss. You don't however go watch tv/play xbox etc.

JetPackBlues
06-21-2011, 02:03 AM
6. Generally everyone stays on their instrument for the practice session. Sure, yes, you can go piss. You don't however go watch tv/play xbox etc.

This.

In my first band, the singer would regularly play with her gameboy or just generally piss around. Considering that we were paying $10/hour to use the studio, it was a massive waste of not only our time, but our money. I'd advise anyone who's in a band with people like this to do what I did and just leave. That band never accomplished anything.