What do we do with our rythm guitar

PDA

View Full Version : What do we do with our rythm guitar

jedke
12-13-2010, 01:29 AM
well we have a gig this friday and to be honest he doesnt know what hes doing we wanna kick him we all agree we need to but the thing is were all good friends with him and he gives us rides to practice and stuff please help us asap what do we do we dont wanna hurt his feelings

sstony
12-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Friends help friends !!!!!!!!!

PapaKooLay
12-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Make him play the cowbell.

But what do you mean by "doesn't know what he is doing?", like not able to play, or not able to act in public? If its not able to play...tell him to sit out this gig, and nicely state that he cannot play the way he is playing and help him become better.

CyberK007
12-13-2010, 01:40 AM
yeah man, if he's a cool guy and he is willing to take the time to learn why don't you give him some lessons, show him whats up? I mean he can't be that bad, and he's only the rhythm guitar!

LightxGrenade
12-13-2010, 01:41 AM
I agree with the person who posted above me. Explain to him how you feel honestly. Then help him become a better guitarist. If he really wants to be part of it, then he'll try and get better. It probably wasn't the best idea to wait so long before telling him but I can understand that it is sort of a delicate situation.

jedke
12-13-2010, 01:43 AM
yeah man, if he's a cool guy and he is willing to take the time to learn why don't you give him some lessons, show him whats up? I mean he can't be that bad, and he's only the rhythm guitar!
the thing is i try to help him and he wont commit to practice at home what hes supposed to. and when i show him stuff he rolls his eyes at my and yawns he not wiilling to practice or learn

metalheadblues
12-13-2010, 01:45 AM
have you tried talking to him about it?
I think most musicians want to get better at there instrument so some constructive criticism won't hurt(i think)..Rhythm playing ain't that difficult imo unless you playing meshuggah kinda stuff so try to help him improve up your bands standards with some alternative picking exercise n stuff like that..

blizzboy
12-13-2010, 01:46 AM
the thing is i try to help him and he wont commit to practice at home what hes supposed to. and when i show him stuff he rolls his eyes at my and yawns he not wiilling to practice or learn
Find another rhythm player with a car, i guess. lol. But if he's not willing to put the time in and learn then he's not gonna get anywhere, meaning you guys won't either.

greennblue10
12-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Unplug his guitar during the gig. Just like Stuart hall with the silver beatles. haha

sickstring11
12-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Why don't you just tell him what you guys are all thinking? I mean don't go being a d-hole about it, but I don't see the harm. Just tell him if he's not going to put in as much effort as the rest of you then your band is going to have to find a new player. Straight and to the point. Maybe offer him an easier instrument if you want him in the band.

LightxGrenade
12-13-2010, 02:01 AM
If he's not willing to commit himself to practicing and just brushes it off as you said, then he's being more of an ass than you would ever be by telling him he can't be part of the band. He's becoming a liability to your band and after repeated efforts he hasn't made an attempt to improve? In any other situation be it a job or a sport or a class he would be fired/cut/penalized.

pandora_grunt
12-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Why would you book a gig if your band is not up to your own personal standard?

jedke
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Why would you book a gig if your band is not up to your own personal standard?
its a school gig we just wanna see how wed be live

AlanHB
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
its a school gig we just wanna see how wed be live

You'll be just as good as you are in practice, but for the first couple of times you'll be worse. Not good news for someone in your position. You really should have made sure the whole band was tight before taking the gig.

As for the rhythm guitarist, it doesn't sound like he's really into it, you should talk to him about putting in the effort to learn songs.

Ace-014
12-13-2010, 05:59 PM
This is why when starting a band you don't add anyone without seeing or knowing how they play. Friends or no friends.

But anyways, a school gig? Like a dance or what? Cause if it is, then your doubly screwed if your rhythm guitarist messes up a lot. The school is were you're fan base will come from if your a highschool band, so if you do a gig where a large portion of that potential fan base is present, and do poorly, that sticks. Easiest way to get known as a band that sucks quickly.

Either replace him or kick his butt into shape pronto.

Thereisnotry
12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The school is were you're fan base will come from if your a highschool band, so if you do a gig where a large portion of that potential fan base is present, and do poorly, that sticks. Easiest way to get known as a band that sucks quickly.

This.

First impressions are so important for bands. If you sound like crap the audience will think you're crap, end of story. Sure you could say something like "Hey, we're just starting out but we're working on it!" but the only people who are even going to care at that point are your close friends.

If you think you'll sound good without the rhythm player tell him to sit this show out until he's ready, if he throws a tantrum that's all the better reason to kick him out.

Either way, if you're unsure about whether you're going to kick ass or not: practice practice practice until you are POSITIVE that you kick ass.

wilson479
12-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't help but thinking if he didn't drive you places then you would not even be asking for other peoples opinions on here. Maybe I'm just a sceptic.

BrianApocalypse
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
If he's already refused to improve then throw him out. If people are substandard and don't even attempt to get better then they're not worth associating with when it comes to music.

As a friend, he probably won't stay mad forever, but if he does, then f*ck him. You could even see him actually bothering to improve so you'll consider letting him in again.

tepperboner
12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
well we have a gig this friday

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

and to be honest he doesnt know what hes doing

So teach him.

we wanna kick him we all agree we need to

If he's not doing his job on his instrument, he needs to either learn or go. Those are the options.

but the thing is were all good friends with him and he gives us rides to practice and stuff please help us asap what do we do we dont wanna hurt his feelings

He's still in the band because he drives you around. Find somebody else to drive you.

Be a man about it and say, "If you can't commit to practice, we'll find somebody who can."

Who cares about his feelings?

Joshua1207
12-18-2010, 10:36 PM
But anyways, a school gig? Like a dance or what? Cause if it is, then your doubly screwed if your rhythm guitarist messes up a lot. The school is were you're fan base will come from if your a highschool band, so if you do a gig where a large portion of that potential fan base is present, and do poorly, that sticks. Easiest way to get known as a band that sucks quickly.

This is true, the first time I played infront of my school I did awesome but the second time I did pretty bad but people only remember my first performance. So yeah give a good first impression and it'll stick.

AlanHB
12-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Don't book a gig until your band is ready first.