How can my band improve live

PDA

View Full Version : How can my band improve live

jedke
12-18-2010, 12:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbuPMRB3B2U

thats us today ignore the singer were kicking her she was a fill in its our first time live and what do u think how can we improve

Pac_man0123
12-18-2010, 12:30 AM
First thing that comes to mind is to have some actual stage presence... Even during the solo about halfway through, the guitarist doesn't move from his spot.

jedke
12-18-2010, 12:31 AM
its becuase the school had no decent shit we had like a 10ft cable and a pedal in the effects loop

Robbin'TheHood
12-18-2010, 12:33 AM
its becuase the school had no decent shit we had like a 10ft cable and a pedal in the effects loop

Don't you have your own cables?

jedke
12-18-2010, 12:36 AM
yea but we couldnt bring a bunch of extra shit the teachers that organized this dont have a ****ing clue they diddnt even let us ****ing soundcheck

Pac_man0123
12-18-2010, 12:38 AM
If the venue you're playing at doesn't give you what you need, you need to step up and ask them if you can take charge or at least have a large part in the planning and setup and such.

Weaponxclaws
12-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe don't play at school? I have yet to hear a good performance like this at school. Too many limitations and such. Play some bars :)

Ultima2876
12-18-2010, 12:40 AM
You guys don't look like you're enjoying it much. Move your heads and bodies - a 10ft cable has never stopped me from getting into it :P

EDIT: The clapping hands thing was good though.

jedke
12-18-2010, 12:40 AM
dude were 13

Ultima2876
12-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Why ask for feedback if all your going to do is make excuses when it's not what you wanted to hear?

Aashraya
12-18-2010, 12:43 AM
dude were 13

I get where your coming from, but dont keep adding excuses, you did ask for advice. I'm sorry if i sound like a douche.

Anyways on to the performance. Yea i mean only thing that you could do is move more which has already been said, other than that, just practice as a band just to get tighter as a band, and that never really gets perfected.

good performance for your first time non the less.

jedke
12-18-2010, 12:43 AM
all im saying is rate our playing obviously the stage show sucked

sandyman323
12-18-2010, 12:44 AM
from what you're saying, it seems like you already know what needs improvement. new singer, your own gear, age...

best fix what you know you have to fix and come back to us when you cant find anything else yourself.

Aashraya
12-18-2010, 12:46 AM
from what you're saying, it seems like you already know what needs improvement. new singer, your own gear, age...

best fix what you know you have to fix and come back to us when you cant find anything else yourself.

+1

Ones thing though, try to get as many videos of your live performance as you can, makes a hell of a lot easier to find out what your doing wrong.

I'm also a beginner when it comes to gigs and videos are a big help.

Bottle of Dirt
12-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Why ask for feedback if all your going to do is make excuses when it's not what you wanted to hear?

I practice with an 8 foot cable most of the time and it's never stopped me from being more enjoyable to watch.
If the teachers didn't want you bringing more stuff...why did you take the short cables? Didn't you guys get to practice on the stage? Normally they have a dress rehearsal for this type of thing.
Even if all you do if move around a bit more(walk back and forth and side to side, throw your body into some chords, let the music move you during the solo, etc) it makes it a lot better to watch and makes others get into the performance more as well.
Practice at home in front of a mirror with your amp on and plugged in with a short cable, you'll get tired of looking at yourself just standing there and you'll start moving or doing something entertaining.

juckfush
12-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Hear-hear! So many threads start with somebody seeking advice, and meet up mid-way with excuses and profanity; it's not mature, and it's not going to get you any respect.

For future reference, when you are able to use extended leads, be sure to have some movement and stage presence; even if you take a few steps every now and then, it's much better than being rooted to the spot like a decadent plant. Swing to the groove of the song, interact with your fellow musicians on stage, and develop the notion that you're enjoying playing the music.
In terms of the performance aspect of the show itself, getting the audience involved with hands clapping was probably the best executed part.

The music itself is fine, but definitely work on moving and putting on a good visual performance too, which is totally something you can practice during rehearsals.

Also:
all im saying is rate our playing obviously the stage show sucked
Please don't condescend yourself or (inadvertently) other users on the forum. It can be difficult to help somebody when excuses are made, but even more when you don't have self-respect for your own work. Every performance and every question answered is a learning curve, so don't make it habit to down-talk them; take the opportunities for what they're worth, which is fun and progression as a musician.

megano28
12-18-2010, 12:59 AM
learn how to headbang while you play, if you don't give off the idea that your enjoying it, your crowd won't either. When it comes to the 10ft cable...to me I see that as a 10 ft bubble where I can do all kinds of crazy shit...if you can't get better equipmnt on demand, utilize every inch of the gear you got.

TinySalmon64
12-18-2010, 09:31 AM
The vulgarity is not needed, buddy.

Just enjoy what you're doing. Seriously.

jonnylad
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
You've just gotta gig more and more. If you're 13 then this is a problem as parties and school concerts are your only real chances. Just have fun and practice. The better you are the better you are to watch as your confidence will show.

Good luck mate

AlanHB
12-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Even though the singer is not in tune, she's still the most interesting thing that's happening on stage. The rest of the players are standing still in the same position.

Just practice moving around at practice, and it'll transfer onto the stage. This has nothing to do with sound checks (the sound was pretty good from the video) or the length of your lead. It looks like you guys had effects pedals on the floor anyway, giving you a 10ft radius of movement, none of which was used at all.

So as above, stop the excuses, that's what's happening on stage.

jedke
12-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Even though the singer is not in tune, she's still the most interesting thing that's happening on stage. The rest of the players are standing still in the same position.

Just practice moving around at practice, and it'll transfer onto the stage. This has nothing to do with sound checks (the sound was pretty good from the video) or the length of your lead. It looks like you guys had effects pedals on the floor anyway, giving you a 10ft radius of movement, none of which was used at all.

So as above, stop the excuses, that's what's happening on stage.
alright thanks were just a little nervous i guess thanks every one for the feedback

asator
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't rate a band's live performance without focusing quite a lot on the singer. That's how it works. On that basis, I'm not going to watch this. I think you should remake this thread when you have a solid lineup, the answers will be much more useful to you then.

kyle62
12-28-2010, 08:53 AM
You guys sound great for your age! None of the usual problems you hear in school-age bands (poor drummer, dreadful guitar playing/tone, out of tune etc) are there.

There's no rush; just jam, play as much as you can and have fun.

EDIT: Damn, that's a girl on the kit? Even more impressive (not in a sexist way) - you don't see many good 13-year old drummers, let alone female ones.

Watching the other videos, I'd say you guys are all pretty talented, probably held back by your beginner-level gear more than anything...most impressive.

semus
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
dude, horrible singer, and no stage presence at all. kick her, get someone better.
and to get better live, just practice everything more - together in rehearsals and alone with a metronome. youll sound alot better. this recording isnt best, but except the singer it sounds cool.

wifiguy51
12-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Everything that's been said man, just learn that 10ft is a lot of space to GO. F**KIN. INSANE. as it's been said. Interact with other band members, if you both only have 10 ft, you guys aren't over 10 ft away from each other, start doing cliche standing back to back jamming. i know we all sound like broken records, but it's just the truth, go out and look like an idiot, that's what gigging is when you first start out.

The playing sounded good man, for 13, really good. Keep playing, get a good singer, and by the time you're 17 or 18, you'll be kickin some a**.

MidniteHaze
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM

+1 Exactly what was thinking..

Dio10101
12-31-2010, 10:04 PM
The singer is out of tune. And add some stage presence. And you have two guitar players, The solo is supposed to be harmonized/

Souls United
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Cable length has nothing to do with stage presence. I'm pretty sure I've used a 10 foot cable into a pedalboard out with another 10 foot cable at most shows, minus a few large stages that we've played where I've either used a wireless (that I borrowed from another band which was playing) or a 30 or 50 foot cable. Either way, my stage presence was the same.

Its all a matter of confidence. Practice on your own doing whatever you want to do on stage while playing. Headbanging, moving around, jumping, whatever you feel fits your music.

Practice more as a band. Every band I've been in that gigged frequently has practiced several times a week, most weeks. There'd be times where we wouldnt practice for two weeks or so, but it was when we didnt have a show for about a month and that wasn't often. You guys sound pretty good on your instruments, lead guitarist is rather good. Drummer is okay, should work on being a little more solid with tempo, but for 13, its okay.

Good job kicking the singer. Get someone who can sing. and i mean sing. Being in a cover band requires a damn good singer. Someone versatile and GOOD.

EL2T
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I honestly don't think the singer's too bad... not perfect but lots of potential. I think you could make it work, some parts really did!

^_^

Mithaearon
01-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Well that was dull. Sorry to sound that harsh on an opening sentence but you are asking for help and to fix your problem you need to recognise and understand what your problem is to begin with and it is that your band is dull. You play very well and its all tight but very unengaging for the spectator and you are there to entertain them afterall.

Do not kick your singer, She is the most interesting thing in that video. She gives a bit of movement to the video. infact encourage her to do more. Being an old time grunger we didnt worry about vocals being perfect as long as it sounded good.

The clapping during the solo? no not for me. First get yourself longer leads and then get your solo to move forward. Get him to look like he is in the zone whilst playering. The other members should also be connected to the music they are playing. Watch some live performance videos to get an idea. Check out stuff by Witchburn and The Gits for examples of female fronted bands and watch what each member does during the performance to get an idea.

Redstar5wp
01-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Singer is by far and away the best thing about the band in my opinion. Not a bad vocal performance at all- plenty of room for getting every single note in tune with practice, but the talents there. Plus, she's the most interesting thing about the whole video.

gunther_sucks
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I would suggest playing closer to the audience. If you're not going to move, you need to at least be right on top of them. he clapping section was well executed, and the most engaging part of the song. If you get the audience involved, they will like you.

C_Miller
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
I must admit that this is a hard audience to play for. You're at a school assembly from the looks of it where everyone is expected to behave. I've always seen a show as kind of a give and take thing. You can't engage an audience that doesn't want to be engaged or for some reason can't get engaged, so your performance will suffer. But an audience won't get into it unless you are. You both have to work together and from the looks of it, neither party was really trying all that hard.

Are you sponsored by the school? There's a school sponsored rock band that floats around on youtube and they do a bunch of really take classic rock covers and it's probably the most soulless music I've ever heard this side of Glee.

Also, I'd reccommend doing some different covers. Detroit Rock City and Sweet Child of Mine are sooo overdone. While they are decent songs to do and decent songs to show off with and you performed them quite well, a million other people have done then, so it's hard to stand out from the crowd. When it comes to music, that's what you have to do.