What to do?

PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

'Merican
12-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Greetings.

Some backstory - I am currently in a band with one person from a previous band, he plays lead guitar and i play bass, in our last band we had recorded a demo and all of our friends were so impressed to hear it.
Now in this new band we invited a new drummer and a new guitarist. SOMEHOW the guitarist from our old band invited himself back in, and i shit you not, he's mentally challenged so i have no idea to get rid of him. We also had a second bassist join (?) because he contributes to a lot of the writing and gear. We have tried multiple singers and last practice we had a keyboardist?! It's like a ****ing orchestra. Too many people. But i recently talked with the lead guitarist and we want to know how and who to get rid of.
Note-
Retarded guitarist, he has been playing for longer than the lead but he blows.
The Singer sucks.
But the keyboardist is good but he is too 'different' from the rest of us.

What the hell do i do?

tonybony1491
12-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Be blunt with the guitarist and tell the other two that you're just looking for a different sound than what they provide

Ace-014
12-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Kick all of them off, be gentle but firm. That's it really. People are gunna get asshurt, but they'll live.

AlanHB
12-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Who's inviting these people in? How do they know when you're practicing? Just sounds like a hole you dug yourself into.

Just put the foot down, tell the extra people that you appreciate their enthusiasm but they aren't really needed for this band, if opportunities come up in the future you'll give them a call.

Doonan
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
a combination of all of the above.
if the keyboardist is good enough and is contributing to making your band better and isnt going against you or anything, i'd try keeping him around. maybe tell him that you'd like to keep him around for a month or so and see how it works out, but yeah i'd get rid of anyone yyou dont need. like someone said, people will be hurt but they'll get over it

'Merican
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Who's inviting these people in? How do they know when you're practicing? Just sounds like a hole you dug yourself into.

Just put the foot down, tell the extra people that you appreciate their enthusiasm but they aren't really needed for this band, if opportunities come up in the future you'll give them a call.
The lead guitarist invited the singer but that's about it. The others hear about us and ask to come, we were fine with the keyboardist just to see how it would sound but the old guitarist and bassist just kinda ****ing showed up.

Ace-014
12-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Well when they showed up you should've showed them the door. Words of wisdom, passive bands don't prosper. Be assertive on how you run the band and people who don't need to be there get booted. Should've told them how it was first time they showed up, then you wouldn't have this issue.

AlanHB
12-19-2010, 01:47 AM
The lead guitarist invited the singer but that's about it. The others hear about us and ask to come, we were fine with the keyboardist just to see how it would sound but the old guitarist and bassist just kinda ****ing showed up.

I've already told you the exact words to say. Now stop complaining, grow some balls, pick up the phone and call them.

axemanchris
12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I've already told you the exact words to say. Now stop complaining, grow some balls, pick up the phone and call them.

:haha:

So let me get this straight....

You had a band practice scheduled. Everybody knew when and where, and were under the impression it was okay to show up.

So, the band shows up, along with an extra singer, a keyboard player, another guitarist and another bassist - everybody with their own gear - and you let them and their gear into the house.

Do you see where this is going?

FIRST: Any band needs a rule that goes like this... "If someone asks 'Can I come?' the answer is almost universally 'NO!'" You don't show up at their work, do you? I mean, unless you have a manager, or a producer who is helping you through pre-production, or unless the person already lives in the house that you are practicing in, they need a clear message of GTFO.

And if someone shows up WITH GEAR?! Answer: "Gee, sorry man. The band is jamming today. We should be done around 4:00 though. Do you want to leave your gear here and come back then? Or just take it with you and come back Tuesday evening? I'm free then."

SECOND: If you have a band, those positions need to be discussed, and once settled upon, non-negotiable. You need a keyboard player? Great. Have a couple out and pick the one you like best. You "might" want a guitar player? Discuss it among the band and have a consensus and go for it. No consensus, don't let one show up.

CT

nouse4aname125
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
it cannot be stressed enough how much balls need to be grown. you know what you want your line-up to be. just do it.

:peace: