I have a gig so I need your motherly advice!

PDA

View Full Version : I have a gig so I need your motherly advice!

Aaronn58
12-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Well the other day I booked my bands first gig at the whisky a go go
( you know the one the doors and that there metallic played at) so anyway I'm a little worried
One the gig is the day after Christmas
Two I'm opening for a bunch of shred guys ( Danny white and Ronny Perkins I belive )
Three my band is only me and my black super jazzy drummer
Four I'm worried all I will forget all the lyrics
Five I'm worried my gear sucks too bad to play live
Now I've played shows before but not at like supa famous venue I've also played with my crappy gear so really I'm just scared. Are my fears rational cam they be fixed?
Thx sorry for the constant need for advice

AlanHB
12-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Just practice and get tight, do the show. What do you want to hear?

l.a.ibanez123
12-19-2010, 03:14 AM
just pretend your in your room jamming and if you **** up dont go back and correct it just keep going and headbang...alot

Hadeed
12-19-2010, 03:36 AM
dude, u need to get some confidence. If you keep thinking to yourself of all these issues, it makes me wonder why you have booked the gig.

if you booked the gig it means that you want to perform, now that you have the gig you should be wanting to play. if you have any issues (like forgetting the lyrics) you should be working your ass off to reinforce it in your head!

MAN UP, DUDE!!

Quoteman
12-19-2010, 03:37 AM
yea, stop worrying and play, you're either prepared or not. If you aren't just bite the bullet, it happens, learn from it too.

SlackerBabbath
12-19-2010, 07:30 AM
The quality of the gear you use isn't important, what is important is, does that particular gear work for you?

Take Seasick Steve for example, he uses beaten up guitars with missing strings, even homemade stuff, and it works nicely for him.

If you are worried about remembering the lyrics, you can always use prompter notes which you place next to your setlist, but really, if you are experienced at playing shows, why is this a problem? Has it been a problem before or are you assuming that just because this is a well known venue you will suddenly develop lyric amnesia?

If it's the former, practice until it's second nature and use prompter notes, if it's the latter, pull yourself together man and be rational, why the f*ck would the location of the venue make any difference to your ability to remember the words?

I can remember the words if I'm sat at home, I can remember the words if I'm in the pub, I can remember the words if I'm in the supermarket, I can remember the words if I'm on a boat in the sea, more importantly, I can remember the words when I'm playing a gig anywhere else, so why on earth should I not remember the words beause I'm in the whisky a go go?

axemanchris
12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Well the other day I booked my bands first gig at the whisky a go go
( you know the one the doors and that there metallic played at) so anyway I'm a little worried{/quote]

Congrats! :)

[QUOTE=Aaronn58]
One the gig is the day after Christmas

So.... don't expect anyone to show up. Maybe this is why they booked more relatively unknown acts for that day, because nobody is going to be there anyways. Really, I'm surprised they booked anyone at all.

Two I'm opening for a bunch of shred guys ( Danny white and Ronny Perkins I belive )

I'm guessing you two don't do shred. What DO you do? Have they heard your demo? Why on earth would they book you if your style of music doesn't complement the other act... or vice-versa? But in the end, it's not your problem. You all show up, play to an empty room, and get paid and leave, being able to put "we played the Whiskey" on your resume.

Three my band is only me and my black super jazzy drummer

Are you suggesting that your band is incomplete, or are you just indicating that your band, though really a duo, is just "smaller" than a 4-5-piece band?

Your drummer is black. That's fine. They'll let him in, I'm sure. Or are you worried about something else?

Four I'm worried all I will forget all the lyrics

You've got a week. Study up!

Five I'm worried my gear sucks too bad to play live. Now I've played shows before but not at like supa famous venue I've also played with my crappy gear so really I'm just scared.

But you've played live before, you said. Did it suck too bad to play live then? If not, then it won't suck to play next week... unless it has broken or something in the meantime.

I look at these things like this...

You do what you do because that is what you feel is best for you. You make a demo and send it out.

Talent buyers at clubs are hired to help the club make money. This means that they have the knowledge and experience to know what will bring bodies through the door and fill glasses at the bar.

They received your demo, and somehow, they are under the impression that your band will potentially help them to make money on this particular night.

If it doesn't work out, it is not your problem. It is the person's problem who booked you.

UNLESS!! UNLESS!! .... you have misrepresented yourself.....

The only exception is if the said talent buyer decided to take a chance on you, or decided to give you guys a shot, and put you on opening for someone as a gesture of "let's see what happens." Even then, though... this should only happen if you have provided them with a demo of sufficient quality to suggest that you at least won't drive patrons away who are already there.

HOWEVER.... the expectation is still that you guys will bring people out to help round out the crowd. If you bring in people such that the venue believes you brought in more money than what they spent on you, they just might book you again. See above on "bring bodies through the door." If you do not bring people in, then they will know for the future that they do not bring bodies through the door, and therefore will not book you.

Now, it's Boxing Day. Good luck with that. You've got your work cut out for you.

Your biggest concern will be convincing your friends and family to leave their homes on Boxing Day and come out to see you play.

CT

Cowless
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
To the above; Very few in the US "celebrate" Boxing Day, almost none of them being in LA. In fact, I had to wiki Boxing Day, and I don't even fully understand it.

AlanHB
12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
To the above; Very few in the US "celebrate" Boxing Day, almost none of them being in LA. In fact, I had to wiki Boxing Day, and I don't even fully understand it.

Boxing day is simply the day after Christmas. It is not a very popular day to go to the bar. That's pretty much the point axeman was making. Often people are still with their families, or driving home from seeing their families, perhaps cleaning up the house after Christmas or taking the decorations down. Generally people will save themselves until New Years eve to go out, which of course is one of the biggest nights of the year.

krypticguitar87
12-20-2010, 11:17 PM
if you have played out before, how is this different? no gig should be more stressful than the others, treat them all like they are important and you'll get used to it.... plus I find that the more people there the easier it is to keep your cool...

Skadsson
12-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I'd really like to have such problems - what a luxury.
You should be glad to be able to play at the Whiskey, I'd be burning to play such a venue.

SlackerBabbath
12-21-2010, 08:07 AM
plus I find that the more people there the easier it is to keep your cool...
Agreed, a small audience in a more intimate venue is much more frightning than a large audience in a large venue.

I dunno exactly why that is, but it's true nontheless.
Possibly it's because a small venue audience tends to be sat or stood much closer to you than a large venue audience, possibly it's because you can see the audience better in a small venue (the stage lights in large venues tend to black out the audience from the performer's point of view) or possibly it's because in a large venue you can always hide in your private dressing rooms if the gig bombs but in a small venue, you're pretty much stuck with the audience for the whole night. :D

zalt
12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Use the time you have to practice if you feel itīs necessary and enjoy doing it. After all thereīs no reason you HAVE to do this, nobodys forcing you, youīre just doing it because YOU want to so you might as well have fun in the whole process of preparing for the show and playing the show.
Also I believe that thereīs no use in fear most of the time and there certainly isnīt here. Itīs a gig, nothing to be scared of, just an event happening in the future. You never KNOW whatīs going to happen so thereīs really no use in letting your mind go crazy over what MIGHT happen. Instead focus on the present moment, donīt let your thoughts control your life.