Help me!

PDA

View Full Version : Help me!

godisasniper
12-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, I've been a regular user of this forum for quite a while, and when I decided to do a survey on group dynamics in bands as part of my senior project, I thought I should see if any of you were willing to tell me your experiences. If you're uncomfortable putting your answers on here, you can email me at benjamin.c.cox[at]gmail[dot]com. All answers will remain anonymous unless you are willing to be quoted.

I'm also sending this out to a lot of AR companies and record labels, so I apologize if you get this through that channel as well.

1. If you are willing to be quoted, what is your name, instrument, and band?

2. How long has your group been together?

3. Do you have any rivalries with other artists?

4. If so, do you believe this helps push you to perform better?

5. Please rate the competition between different members of your band, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually no competition and 5 being intense competition).

6. Do you believe this internal competition helps push you to perform better?

7. Please rate the level of camaraderie in your band when you started, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually none, and 5 being very high).

8. Please rate the level of camaraderie in your band now, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually none, and 5 being very high).

9. Why, in your opinion, has this level of camaraderie changed or not changed?

10. Has this camaraderie helped you perform better?

Thanks for helping me out with this...Long live UG!

Archer18
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Band Name - Green Mile

2 years

No, not at the moment anyway :D

N?A

5. Please rate the competition between different members of your band, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually no competition and 5 being intense competition).

Yes I believe so

7. Please rate the level of camaraderie in your band when you started, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually none, and 5 being very high).

8. Please rate the level of camaraderie in your band now, 1-5 (with 1 being virtually none, and 5 being very high).

We have played together for a long time.

Yes definately, We understand each other's ability much better and help each other out.

Ace-014
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Name: Austin E.
Intrument: Guitar and Piano
Band: Black City Aces (Place-Setter name till future reference)

My current one has been for merely about a month and a half

Used to in a previous band.

No, not really. It actually just hinders your ability to network mostly.

Probably 1.3

I wouldn't know

To each other, probably 2, but that was mostly because they didn't know each other.

Probably 3.3-4, somewhere in there. Band hasn't been around too long yet, they're still getting used to eachother.

Trusting the other guys to play the right music and spending hours at a time with them typically helps make friends or enemies in my experience.

Haven't gigged with my current band yet, but yeah it does help put some spirit in the songs you play.

Mephysteaux
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
This may not be the type of band you're looking for, but my old scout troop has a marching band.

Alex, Bass drum, Troop 226 Drum and Bugle Corps

About 75 years, I think. I've been a member for the past 13.

Yes, Troop 160.

I do. The way we operate is fundamentally different from the way we do. Anyone who joins the troop is required to learn an instrument, regardless of prior musical experience, and becomes a part of the band. The way they do it is keeping their band a select group, only for people who previously learned to play one of those instruments. Needless to say, there is a gap there, and we have an uphill struggle to stay competitive with them.

I'd say 2. The band has a bit of a hierarchy, bugle players on the bottom, drummers on top. Among those groups, some positions are more prestigious than others, like amongst the drummers, lead snare drummer and tenor drummer are the top guys. Most people are fairly content where they are, but there are some who strive to achieve a better position.

I do, especially since you can get moved down a notch if your performance isn't up to par.

4. We are a scout troop first and foremost, so there's a lot of teambuilding there that exists outside the band environment. Of course, within the group you do have various cliques, but with a few exceptions everyone gets along.

4 again.

A lot of people have come and gone, but the way we operate has largely stayed the same for as long as I can remember. People still meet for an hour a week, still go camping, and are given the same opportunities to become cohesive on a personal level.

Hard to say. It is a relaxed environment that lets me experiment a little, which I think has made me improve a bit, and I've learned some of the ins and outs of other people's playing and how to properly adapt to it. I don't know how much of that is camaraderie and how much is just practice, though.

MikkiSixx
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Name-Michaela. Instument-rhythm guitar. band-Flash Point

We're a new band that has only been playing together for roughly 3 months.

We're a highschool band, and I guess you could say that we have a rivalry with another highschool band that often plays at the same school functions that we do.

Yes, I believe it helps our stage presence. We try to get the audience more into it in hopes that they audience favors us over the other band.

I'd say a 2, we have minimal competition. Everybody knows their place in the band and knows what they have to do so their isn't really competition over who gets to play what. I'd say the only competition we have is choosing the songs that are on our set list.

No, I do not.

I'd say a 3, most members of the band were friends before joining, and if not close friends we at least all knew eachother.

I'd say it's up to a 4 now

Playing together and helping eachother improve and meet goals and deadlines has definetely brought everybody closer together. Supporting eachother has brought us closer together as well.

Yes, I'd say it has. Everybody knows that everybody is serious about this bands and that we put the band as top priority over everything. With everybody knowing this members are more likely to put their all into the music.

fireblast13
12-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Jacob E., Guitar, A Little More Chaos (Wexford or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

New lineup: 3 months. All members but the singer: 1 1/2 years

Not anymore...

If its healthy rivalry, yes. If its like ours (Brought on by the now kicked-out singer), then it just detracts.

2.5... Mainly between me and the other guitarist. But its a clean and healthy competition.

Yes.

2 (Friction between the other guitarist and the singer caused the low rating)

4. Even with a new lineup, we work extremely well together.
Our lead singer was booted because of all the negativity he brought.
We'll see soon...

BlackDog55
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
1. My name is Tyler Mills, I play guitar and sing back-up in my band Never Say Die!

2. We've been together since 2008

3. No, we tend to stick with everyone in our scene and stay away from feuds, its unhealthy for a scene to have arguing bands.

4. We always try to give the best, funnest performance we possibly can.

5. Well we don't really compete skill-wise but on stage we always are trying to outdo each other.

6. Yes because if I see someone (either my bassist or other guitarist or singer do something like jump up on the drumkit and play along with the drummer) then i'll try to outdo them some how.

7. 4. Well, when we started the band we were all really good friends. We all knew each other for years so it came very natural when performing.

8. 5. We really grew collectively over the past 2 years and I consider them family.

9. I've seen them every day for the past 2 years. That may be a reason.

10. Yeah, I personally am not the most outgoing guy so it makes it easier when I am up there performing with my friends.

schwinginbatman
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
. If you are willing to be quoted, what is your name, instrument, and band?
Joshua Cole
Guitar
EAΛΩ (pronounced a-uh-low, English is Aealo)
Since 2008.

Nope.

Nope.

2. Slight competition between the bassist and I, nothing major though.

Not really.

1. Almost none at all, we were hardly a band then.

4. Decent. Could be better.

We've gotten material, gotten the right members for us, and gotten proficient at our instruments

Of course.

nouse4aname125
12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Marcos, Guitar, Corsair

8 months now.

not that i know of...

i believe rivalry would be a very unhealthy form of motivation. at least for us

1. We dont have any competition amongst ourselves. but we do push ourselves to learn and write as much as we can.

meh.

from the very start we spent every day hanging out.

still do. we're like brothers.

it hasnt. although we're closer now of course.

of course, we've gotten to the point where we can finish each others sentences. we know each others habits, nervous ticks. all of it. and they show on stage. you must let go of all insecurities and modesty when you perform. so you must feel completely comfortable with your band members.

mrstab
12-22-2010, 01:19 AM
This is my first post here that i remember, i'm sure i've posted absolutely ages ago but hi again :) lol

1. Mr. Stab, electric guitar, "Heavy Smoke".

2. About 11 months.

3. Not with any particular band, but we are fairly judgemental about a few bands that piss us off for various reasons; usually ones that we feel are unoriginal or have more mainstream appeal than talent.

4. Absolutely - because our songwriting ethos is not to care about genres, and maybe because we kinda live more messed up lifestyles than a lot of the bands around here, we feel like we have to work twice as hard to show everyone that there's more to us than there might seem.

5. ...2

6. There's a small amount of underlying competition between the bassist and me, (we founded the band and do most of the composing), but we both know it's there and we embrace it. As Freddie Mercury once pointed out w/ regards to Queen, strong-willed people are often healthy for a band, and we kinda agree with that - i would rather have the occasional argument arise than someone not being satisfied with a riff or not arguing their case to make a song even better. There's no "I" in "Team", but there are a few "F"s and "U"s.

7. ...2

8. ...5

9. At first, there was just me and our bassist, who'd been friends for a coupla years beforehand. When we found a singer and drummer, there was a kinda awkward vibe at first, but eventually we developed a really good connection with our singer and an increasingly worse one with our then-drummer (personal and creative differences). We've been through a lot together so far; starting out with so much uncertainty and seeing the beast unleashed through time. We genuinely see Heavy Smoke as something bigger than the sum of its parts - it's our creation and we'll do anything possible to keep it alive. I can't deny that a large part of our camaraderie is through just being good friends, too. We're all as ****ed up as each other, we share "similar interests" (see band name) and we're all ambitious, egotistical bastards.

10. Without a shadow of a doubt. When we go on stage, as edgy as i am, there's always an awesome feeling knowing that i'm up there delivering the noise pollution with my platoon! We all know what each other's gonna do next, we're comfortable to interact with each other doing mad stage moves (being posers) and there're even a few "in-jokes"; ie. our singer forgot a line in a lazy recording we did ages ago so i put a harmonic divebomb thingy in there, which i started playing during the live version to be cheeky. Well, i think it also sounds pretty cool. lol

i'm fine with being quoted if ive not bored you yet :)

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Is this survey designed to assess how immature you are in relation to band activities?

If there's other bands on your scene, you should make friends with them, team up and get more gigs together. A more established band gives a hand to a less established band, and as that less established band gets more popular, they can do the same for another less established band. Just being competitive with eachother does not mean you have to be rivals, and the audience can like more than one band if they wish, which gets rid of any point of rivalries, unless you want to get your band known around venue owners as "that bunch of dicks".

mrstab
12-22-2010, 01:57 AM
(edit: ignore this post cos i'm a bit retarded and got the wrong idea lol)

If there's other bands on your scene, you should make friends with them, team up and get more gigs together.

Yep, very true. Good thing there are several hundred, if not several thousand bands in my city for us to team up with; and the ones we dislike make up barely a handful. we have positive relationships with quite a few bands. You don't like every single person you meet in everyday life, and with the volume of people i just described, you're not gonna like every single one of those bands either. So please, don't generalise and make assumptions because i answered that very-particular question.

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Yep, very true. Good thing there are several hundred, if not several thousand bands in my city for us to team up with; and the ones we dislike make up barely a handful. You don't like every single person you meet in everyday life, and with the volume of people i just described, you're not gonna like every single one of those bands either. So please, don't generalise and make assumptions because i answered that very-particular question.

I didn't generalise anything mate, it was just a simple question. If you dislike someone, that doesn't stop you from having a working relationship with them. That's definately a lesson you'll learn if you want to get forward in any industry, whether music or not.

mrstab
12-22-2010, 02:04 AM
(edit: ignore this post cos i'm a bit retarded and got the wrong idea lol)

I didn't generalise anything mate, it was just a simple question. If you dislike someone, that doesn't stop you from having a working relationship with them. That's definately a lesson you'll learn if you want to get forward in any industry, whether music or not.

please indicate where i said we wouldn't have a working relationship with any of these bands? if you're as versed in this industry as you say you are, you'll know that keeping your prejudices private (at the very least, no names) and maintaining your poker face is also key. that doesn't apply within the band, though - given the right amount of trust.

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 02:09 AM
And please indicate where i said we wouldn't have a working relationship with any of these bands? if you're as versed in this industry as you say you are, you'll know that keeping your prejudices private (at the very least, no names) and maintaining your poker face is also key.

Mate, I'm not even sure why you're trying to attack me when I was posing a question to the designer of the survey. Considering we agree on the points too makes your attacks even more curious.

I am just trying to figure out the relevance of this survey to the gigging/band world. All of the questions relate to competition and rivalries not only between bands, but within them too. Personally that's not an aspect that comes into mind when I consider my bands and their careers. I'm sure you'd rather focus on creating the best band that you can rather than one-upping someone else for the hell of it.

mrstab
12-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Is this survey designed to assess how immature you are in relation to band activities

i thought... damn! my bad! sure you can understand why i thought you were ripping on my post all of a sudden lol
it's 6am here, so i could blame it on that, but my real excuse is that im just an impulsive bastard.

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 02:13 AM
i thought... damn! my bad! sure you can understand why i thought you were ripping on my post all of a sudden lol

Alrighty mr, what do you think the end aim of the survey is?

Edit: And no, the question wasn't directed towards you.

Edit 2: Haha. I do the same thing sometimes. Looks like miscommunication wins the day :haha:

mrstab
12-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Alrighty mr, what do you think the end aim of the survey is?

Edit: And no, the question wasn't directed towards you.

now that i understand what you mean, i think i agree with your suggestion - that it could be a measure of maturity; tho that would be kinda hard to assess, being subjective n' all... any idea what the OP's course is about? i'd guess it's something sociological

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 02:18 AM
now that i understand what you mean, i think i agree with your suggestion - that it could be a measure of maturity; tho that would be kinda hard to assess, being subjective n' all... any idea what the OP's course is about? i'd guess it's something sociological

Honestly? I'm unsure whether the TS has much experience in the band world, and that it is warped indeed. The basic theory is related to competition and success in the band world. Seems a bit silly to me.

mrstab
12-22-2010, 02:25 AM
Honestly? I'm unsure whether the TS has much experience in the band world, and that it is warped indeed. The basic theory is related to competition and success in the band world. Seems a bit silly to me.

as much as it brings me down all the time, i guess competition is the basis for a lot of ideologies & fields of study, "human nature" & all that shit. so maybe he/she's trying to compare the evil world of capitalism to the totally awesome world of musicians! t'is futile!! lol
from what ive learnt studying the business and talking to people with varying levels of success throughout the years, as depressing as it is, the music industry does seem to be dog-eat-dog from top to bottom. it shouldn't be like that though.

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 02:34 AM
as much as it brings me down on a daily basis, i guess competition is the basis for a lot of ideologies & fields of study, "human nature" & all that shit. so maybe he/she's trying to compare the evil world of capitalism to the totally awesome world of musicians! t'is futile!! lol
from what ive learnt studying the business and talking to people with varying levels of success throughout the years, as depressing as it is, the music industry does seem to be dog-eat-dog from top to bottom. it shouldn't be like that though.

I think that dog-eat-dog part of the industry really comes from the record companies and the people who maximise profits through deciding who to profit through. However the competition isn't coming from the bands themselves. I've never seen one musician refuse to jam with a different band - it's just music and everyone enjoys it.

Basically for us we just have to focus on creating a good product and promoting the hell out of it.

mrstab
12-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Basically for us we just have to focus on creating a good product and promoting the hell out of it.

heartily agree with that ethic. i've never heard of anyone refuse to play with a band, but i've known of a lot of petty squabbles & disputes on band-levels, which disappoints me. unsurprisingly, these are the people who get a bad reputation for being total wanks to work with and dont get anywhere. i suppose that's a skill everyone needs to learn in life in general: life's all about doing stuff you don't wanna do!! lol

Natrone
12-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Yes.
Nathan Thurnau
Guitar/Vocals
Anti Gravity

4 months

We're too new as a band, but I have a bit of a personal rivalry with the lead singer of another local band called Our Star's the Sun (ironically, he's my girlfriend's older brother)

It does, actually. They're a solid, solid band, and I feel like listening to their music inspires me to be more creative.

Myself -> Drummer = 2.5
Myself -> 2nd Guitar = 3.75
Myself -> Bass = 2.5

I can't really speak for the rest of them. Not sure if you wanted me to or not.

In songwriting, yes. While I'm very good friends with our other guitar player, we butt heads a lot on music choices because he's very much an indie hipster kind of guy, while I tend to lean toward a much more pop sound and style. However, this helps a lot, because it forces him to write with more pop sensibility, and forces me to write with a more musical mind than just some powerchords and a catchy vocal line.

3.5: I knew the drummer already from a camp, and I'd been friends with our now-guitar player (formerly bass player) for a while now, and was friends with his older brother for even longer before that.

3.5: We just added a new bass player. In the couple practices myself and our drummer had with him to practice for a show he was filling in for our original bass player, we seemed to have a pretty decent connection going on between us all. I've also been playing with him in my church's youth worship band for about a year now. However, time will only tell how this will work out. I'm an alternative rock/pop alternative kind of guy, our drummer is into 90s emo and punk, our guitar player is an indie hipster, and our new bass player is a bit of a metalhead who dabbles in ska and alternative rock.

It really hasn't changed because we're like a new band now. The dynamics of being a bass player vs. guitar player, I'm sure, will be significantly different. We're all pretty friendly guys though, which means that we develop bonds pretty quickly.

Most definitely. You have much more trust in your fellow bandmates when you have more camaraderie, and can also play off of each other better.

godisasniper
12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Is this survey designed to assess how immature you are in relation to band activities?

If there's other bands on your scene, you should make friends with them, team up and get more gigs together. A more established band gives a hand to a less established band, and as that less established band gets more popular, they can do the same for another less established band. Just being competitive with eachother does not mean you have to be rivals, and the audience can like more than one band if they wish, which gets rid of any point of rivalries, unless you want to get your band known around venue owners as "that bunch of dicks".
My group's assignment is to look at relationships in groups - while I'm looking at bands, the other two group members are looking at sports teams, where the rivalry thing is more important and actually may be helpful. The question about that was just put here to confirm that rivalries don't help in some situations.

And thanks, guys, for answering this!

mrstab
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
My group's assignment is to look at relationships in groups - while I'm looking at bands, the other two group members are looking at sports teams, where the rivalry thing is more important and actually may be helpful. The question about that was just put here to confirm that rivalries don't help in some situations.

interesting stuff. what're you studying exactly, if you dont mind me asking?

godisasniper
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
interesting stuff. what're you studying exactly, if you dont mind me asking?
Our honors English class has an embedded senior project about relationships, and my group has chosen to look at team/group dynamics.

krypticguitar87
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM

yep, optical piracy, guitar

2 years

not seriously, we joke around with other bands, but I would never call it an actual rivalry

n/a

I'd say 1, we don't really compete with eachother we just try to sound good...

no like I said it's about the band as a whole not the individual

3 I don't think any of us were sure weather or not we would be motivated enough to go for it

easily a 5, I would take a bullet for any member of the band and I'm sure they all feel the same...

we just became better friends, seeing as its really the only group of people we see on a very regular basis....

most definately, if you know the members of your band you get to know where and when they are going to add things, and you can set them up for it...

walkingwithjack
12-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Jack Stewart, Bass Guitar, Casper's Friend

Around 1 and a half years.

Other bands had rivalries with us.

Not really, it makes you tense.

1. With all of them :)

No, it irritates everyone.

When we started it was around 6.

We became best friends.

Yes, we're more comfortable together, and discuss stage prescence and song interpretation together.

Hope this helps :)

the_perdestrian
12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Tucker Hoffman, Guitar/Vocals, PRA
7 months
No, we have made more friendships than rivalries. The only bands tat we don't like on a personal level are completely different from us genre wise.
Meh
I don't really see much competition, I mean we all bring stuff to the table and we all add our stuff to it. Very few songs have been written by a single person. I guess if we have any competition amongst ourselves its just us all wanting to have contributed.
I'd say 2 again, when we formed it was mostly just a bunch of friends of friends and the like, but we were all connected by a possible lack of all ages venues.
We have grown closer as friends after getting to know each other better. we have all shared emotional stuff with each other that you don't share with other people. being in a band just kinda forces you to be open about things.
yes, of course.

axemanchris
12-23-2010, 12:01 AM

Chris
Lead guitar, lead vocals - Now-Here-This (www.now-here-this.com)
Guitar, Lead vocals - 21st Century Breakdown (www.21stCenturyBreakdown.ca)

NHT = currently on hiatus, but rehearsed, recorded, gigged for about 4 years.
21CB = 1 yr

Rivalries were an '80's thing. Once people recognized that they can achieve more through cooperation than competition, they became passe for anyone over the age of about 15.

Yes, the industry is hugely competitive, but in a cooperative musical community, the competitiveness is to out-hustle, out-write, out-draw, etc. the other bands. However, the word "rivalry" carries connotations that go beyond competition to include sabotaging, bad-mouthing, etc.

About internal competitions between members... geez... if they're on your team, why on earth would you compete with them? You want to pick team-mates who can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. If you're competing with them, letting egos get in the way, and other negative dynamics within your team, you don't have a healthy team.

Again, it's that collaborativeness vs. competitiveness. If your co-guitarist is better than you and makes you strive to be a better player, great. If he/she shows you a thing or two, then awesome. If you simply get your back up because the other person gets all the solos and that kind of middle-school bullsh!t, you have no business being in a band until you grow up a little.

Thanks for helping me out with this...Long live UG!

Now this is interesting.

In my bands, I try to pick people who make good team-mates/business partners first, and good friends second. Being a virtuoso does not factor into the equation.

Friendship can get in the way of objectivity, and thus business.

On the other hand, the bands that have worked out the best for me have been ones that have members that I really only maintain casual friendships with. I played in the original band for four years. I'm Facebook friends with the drummer. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of months ago. I haven't seen him in probably about a year. We got along perfectly well, and he's a great guy and a really solid musician. Despite the hours spent together, though, we never really became close.... friends. The bass player and I (and the drummer and him) got along similarly. He's not on Facebook, so I haven't spoken to him in about a year.

I wish I had an answer for that. Part of it is that I'm very busy with a variety of other things, and have a small core of friends, and as a result, don't really pursue friendships. Part of it might be something else. I don't know.

I do think there is something to be said for comraderie, but it is interesting that, as soon as friendship came second in bands, I have had much better luck in keeping them going.

CT

mrstab
12-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Friendship can get in the way of objectivity, and thus business.

On the other hand, the bands that have worked out the best for me have been ones that have members that I really only maintain casual friendships with.

i've always wondered about this dynamic, & i've come to the conclusion that even though in the real world music has to be seen from a business perspective, i think music by concept is a very personal thing and is better suited to friendships than business relationships. it's a very blurred line, though. just my 2 pennies.

Our honors English class has an embedded senior project about relationships, and my group has chosen to look at team/group dynamics.

ahh ok. sorry if im spamming by the way, i'm just a nerd & find sociology interesting lol (if that's even what you'd call it)

godisasniper
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks so much guys, we're finalizing our results right now.

Basically the conclusions we've come up with are: for bands, you want to keep all competition and rivalries, within the band or with other bands, friendly. As soon as it gets serious/not fun, it hurts the band, but a small amount of competition can be very helpful. As far as camaraderie is concerned, obviously it is helpful in most situations, but axemanchris makes a very good point about not letting the band be all about friendship.

Punkrokkboi
01-01-2011, 06:13 AM

-Daniel Langdon, Guitar/Vocals, The Fringe

-About 6 or 7 months

-Nope, we're pretty chill with everyone on the scene and learn from them

-We have no rivalry, but seeing them perform well pushes us to attempt to get to their level.

- it'd be a 1

-N/A

- it was just me and my drummer who's my good friend jamming, but when we got the bassist it became more of a real band but i'd say a 1 between us and the bassist.

-probably a 3 at least

-Practices twice a week, band dinners, and seeing how douchey other musicians from craigslist are lol.

-I believe our interaction on stage and improved from bonding. So, yes.