How to make 5 guys bond in a band ?

PDA

View Full Version : How to make 5 guys bond in a band ?

zlaxguitar
12-22-2010, 05:55 AM
We all have the same idea to make Hardcore/Posthardcore...so we started playing in a studio, we can afford its like 20 bucks 2 hours, playing covers of Saosin, Asking Alexandria, Atreyu...

The problem is that we have 2 months playing together yet we have no songs, we only have the lyrics but, myself i listen and love Hardcore Posthard but when when i sounds they are more punk, yet complicated songs, rather than hardcore so i had to adjust all my riffs to hardcore, and it doesnt really seen to fit.

We,re just looking to play covers and the hard part of all of this, we have no clean singer, meaning that sings clean :p, they say it doesnt matter at the moment beacuse moment beacuse we are still on progress but can we really move foward without a singer ?(i,ve always though you need a singer then you define your style) what can we do about it ? maybe should i quit playing ?

Also , you usually write the instrumental and then the lyrics or lyrics and then instrumental ?

Thanks fo reading.

Banjocal
12-22-2010, 06:04 AM
instrumental then lyrics. the lyrics come from me embarrassingly improvising over said instrumental.

writing stuff takes time; most of my stuff comes from simple jamming sessions and improvisation; most of my riffs are actually solo licks ive written that i have move down an octave or two.

as for bonding...well...do it like the romans?

rokkit
12-22-2010, 06:33 AM
try incorporating elements from different genres into your playing

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 06:48 AM
How to bond? A case of beer and a donkey works for my bands.

Otherwise sounds like your band needs some leadership. Why don't you step up to the plate and get some songs in place.

SlackerBabbath
12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
try incorporating elements from different genres into your playing

This.
Even though you've all come together in order to play just a narrow genre of music, there will still be different influences within your membership.
Try to preserve this as many diffent influences makes for more original sounding songs when you start writing.

Covers shouldn't really be a problem, lyrics and music should be figured out at the same time for them.
Work with what you have for the moment and try to get the songs as far along as possible, if you have no singer at the moment, either nominate one of you to fill in on vocals or find a singer.

As for bonding, like Alan says, beer generaly does the trick, but try hanging, going to gigs together and more importantly, jamming.

nouse4aname125
12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
my band had a goal to write in kind of a dredg/circa survive style. did NOT go as planned. but we were very happy with what we wrote.

as far as writing techniques. i always found it a lot easier to simply start with a vocal idea. not a lyric, and idea. think of a melody you like and sing it. build something around it. and then try to fit the lyrics you have into it. you'd be surprised that a few minor adjustments do the trick.

of course thats just my method. different strokes for different folks

asator
12-28-2010, 07:25 AM
First of all learn what genre you are, those bands are neither hardcore nor post hardcore.

von gelb
12-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Our band was supposed to be like Volbeat, but now we sound more like a crossover between old school hardrock and stoner with double bass drums sometimes. Just go with the flow of all the different influences the rest bring to the table.