Advice guys?

PDA

View Full Version : Advice guys?

Jakeamsr
12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm coming to UG for a bit of advice, hoping I've got this in the right forum too.
A couple of months ago, two a guys asked me to join a band with them, as their rhythm guitarist, the other two being the vocalist and lead guitarist. They already have some songs written, from before (this project has been around maybe a year or two, in various forms), and although they are pretty awesome sounding, this is where my problem comes in.

The songs are metal, and two of them I can play no problem. However, there are two more, which are significantly faster that I just cannot manage. I'm starting with my new guitar teacher in the new year, after four years of playing with minimal outside input.

My question to you guys would be should I come clean with the other three guys (we have a bassist again) and try to work something out, or tell them I can't be in the band, for whatever reason.

As you can probably tell, we haven't come together for a group practice as of yet, however since this is looming, the decision I should have already made is forced upon me.

Thanks in advance

AlanHB
12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Well it is a problem if you don't have the technical skills to pull off a song. However you still have the ability to write "easier" parts for their songs unless they're expecting you to play the previous guitarists' parts note-for-note.

I'd just try out anyway, at the very least to see how you go with "outside input".

Jakeamsr
12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks, that's something I had considered, but wasn't sure of. The lead guitarist (also main songwriter) seems to be pretty tightly in control of the band, with decisions going through, or being made by him. I don't know how well he'd take to me re-writing entire sections of songs

!-twisty-!
12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Tell them you can't play the part yet. They may just not use the song/ simplify it

No point in lying.

Disturbed_EMG
12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks, that's something I had considered, but wasn't sure of. The lead guitarist (also main songwriter) seems to be pretty tightly in control of the band, with decisions going through, or being made by him. I don't know how well he'd take to me re-writing entire sections of songs
Well, just ask him "Hey, I'm not sure if I could play that properly. Do you think we could maybe simplify it a little, or re-work it to suit my abilities? Even if it's until I can do it properly."

I still think you should try out.

nouse4aname125
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
unless theyre jerks, i dont think anyone will expect you to get all of this stuff right off the bat. chill out, keep at it, and be truthful. :cheers:

Jakeamsr
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, they've been really helpful

I'm guess I'm gonna have to man up and admit I can't (yet) play the stuff, and see what happens from there

jrakus
12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I've been in that situation (exactly the same, 4 years of playing guitar, got asked to join a metal band with more experience).
We did some "easy" songs in practice but their playing was so technical and tight. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up but I tried hard for the next 5 rehearsals. As I was thinking of quitting myself they called me and told me it's not going to work.

It's a good thing to play with better musicians, you will improve faster. Be honest and tell them you can't play on the level (they know it already and maybe they're willing to fit you in). Whatever comes out of it, try to stay in touch with them.

krypticguitar87
12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
don't lie, let them know you can't handle the parts they expect you to on those songs, then maybe they could make them easier.... if they dont want to wait for you to get to the point of being able to play it, and they won't help you make it easier then get out and find a band that will work with you...