Going solo?

PDA

View Full Version : Going solo?

ARMAGEDDON_IT
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
So, at the moment I'm currently the main arranger/composer within a little band I have going at school. Its more or less me working on ideas outside of school and bringing them to the group for some small input and to practice for school performances and the like. I don't think any of them are really fussed who's songs we are playing. :p:
So, my question is, would it be worthwhile to organize some times when we can work on and write songs as a group and share credit for the material, or should I remain sole composer for the time being ? We're an acoustic/jam band by the way.

Thanks in advance.

link no1
12-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds like what I do.

I write all the Guitars,bass,drums and vocal melodys/clean vocals at home (as clean vocals are my job aswell as guitar)

I go into practise and just show them the guitar parts and let them do they're own things with they're instruments.
If they get stuck on ideas i just show them what I have alread wrote for that particular instrument.

Just because you are the one with the ability to write the entire song dosn't mean you should do that, let them have they're parts and use your version as a template when they are in a jam.

If you plan on solo musician i would reccomend doing it at home as a separate thing to your band as you have full control and there will be no hard feelings or arguments that they feel they have no rights in the band. It's exactly what I do.

ARMAGEDDON_IT
12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah during jams I'll usually give them a lead sheet with the melody/chord progression, and they'll just fiddle around with it until it starts sounding like something.
I might give it a try arranging and recording by myself at home, and I'll see where it takes me. Thanks !