Demos

PDA

View Full Version : Demos

Left Hand Path
12-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, stupid question here. Is it still common for bands to release demos on tapes? Cause I hear the terms demo and demo tape used more or less interchangeably, and I don't know whether it refers to a demo specifically on tape, or if it can refer to a demo on any medium.

SGRocker400
12-25-2010, 11:22 PM
seeing as not many people use tape players anymore, and it costs alot more to get tapes made (im assuming, because ive never even seen tape reproduction services advertized, or blank tapes for sale for that matter) it wouldnt make much sense to release one on tape. you could, but it would be cheaper to do cds, and waaaaaaaaay more people would listen to them.

axemanchris
12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
These days, I would even suggest that your demo not be in any physical form at all. My tribute band has our demo for streaming on our site, our facebook page, and our reverb nation page. That's it. There's no need for anything else.

While it used to be that clubs, talent buyers, and even potential fans needed to have a physical product to listen to, it isn't anymore. If you want to get a booking at a club, for instance, why would someone want to go through the bother of finding your disc and loading up a CD player, when all they really need to do is go to a website and click on a player? This is FAR preferable to having envelopes, jewel cases, etc. cluttering up your office or bar shelf or whatever. It is also FAR more cost-effective for bands. I remember sending out full press kits. The disc was good for about a dollar or two. An 8x10 photo would cost a few bucks to reproduce properly in black and white. Ten or twenty cents a copy for your bio, and a couple of bucks to mail it, and you were looking at about ten bucks a shot to send a press kit out. Now, you send out an email link and you're done.

The term "demo tape" is just legacy vocabulary left over from the old folks like me - much like the terminology of "selling CD's" will be soon.

For a record company, your "demo" should usually be a completed product available for commercial release. You need to be able to produce evidence that your band is making money from this and that you have a following. With the record company's help, you could make it even bigger, and they could share in your success in return. To prove this, you want to show sales figures, which means either physical CD's that you sell, and/or on-line figures from sources like iTunes, etc.

CT