Have you ever/Do you invest your own money in band expenses?

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever/Do you invest your own money in band expenses?

JDizzle787
12-28-2010, 12:51 AM
There's a poll, very straight forward.

Please post explaining your answer/ thoughts as well. I'm very curious about this regarding bands other than mine.

I myself am only currently in the second "yes" department. Haven't had to consider the first yet.

supersac
12-28-2010, 01:05 AM
im going to assume most people say yes
i dont think anyone started out with sponsors and people paying for thier stuff

nouse4aname125
12-28-2010, 05:03 AM
you have to invest in yourself. we pooled our money together in order to purchase prints of our ep, buttons, stickers, accessories, and any other things that we need.

Punk_Ninja
12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Our band pays for practices, we're going to pay for recording, we've all had to buy some gear (and will have to buy some more gear, P.A system, mics etc) before we even start to get paid gigs to help this out.

But once we get paid gigs they'll cover most of the funds I'd imagine.

von gelb
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
I voted for the second one, the first (recordings and such) we pay for with gig money or merchandise sales.

axemanchris
12-28-2010, 10:16 AM
For an original band, yes. For a cover band.... you shouldn't have to.

But for an original band, your startup costs at least will need to be paid for out of pocket. Once the band starts making money, you need to re-invest back into the business in order for it to stay afloat and pay its own way, as opposed to continuing to have to pay out of your own pockets. Before long, the band should be able to pay you back for your initial investment.

After that, it comes down to, "how badly do you want to do such-and-such? Badly enough to dig into your own pocket again?"

CT

Deece
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
We paid out of our own pockets for our first EP/album, from then on any money made by the band was put into a band account, and is used to make merch, and any money made on that, is also put back into the account. We have around 700 saved up for recording our full length. And we hopefully intend to make and sell some more merch and play more gigs before we get to recording in the summer. No money we have ever made has been used personally by any of us for booze or w/e. Anything we make AS a band, we spend FOR the band.

Although we do "spend" any pay thats in the form of beer.

Zycho
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
If you don't pay for stuff, who will?

honkytown
12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
No. My mom pays for everything, so why should I bother? Occasionally, my granddad will pitch in.

axemanchris
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
No. My mom pays for everything, so why should I bother?

Personal pride?

Independence?

Respect for her... and for yourself?

CT

kraftmacaroni
12-29-2010, 12:19 AM
I would help pay for stuff everyone needs like a PA or mics, or for something like shirts, but if say our drummer wanted a new cymbal I wouldn't help pay for it.

the_perdestrian
12-29-2010, 02:01 AM
us and another band threw a show a while back and all the members had to pitch for the venue rental and advertisements and such. If I see a good deal on a pedal or somethig that my bassplayer could use, I will buy it. then there is gas money and mics. I haven't bought a PA yet but I plan on it when I find a job.

honkytown
12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Personal pride?

Independence?

Respect for her... and for yourself?

CT
Lol I've found that you can't really take a joke, man. It was just a stupid remark...never mind. ;)

BrianApocalypse
12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I'll happily pay for rehearsal time, travel, buying recording gear and stuff like that, but I won't waste money on flyering.

JDizzle787
12-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I'll happily pay for rehearsal time, travel, buying recording gear and stuff like that, but I won't waste money on flyering.

Interesting perspective. Although it's a fairly cheap method of promoting that does work if you know how to do it.

krypticguitar87
12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
of course, we all put money into the band, some more than others, like right now my drummer and vocalist is unemployed... so obviously they can't really put in that much money, but overall it is pretty equal.
I mean seriously who else could pay?

Archer18
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
We all put equal amount of money. Although, IMO I have put the most effort in though because I have created a band website and ring pubs up for gigs etc.