Problematic drummer.

PDA

View Full Version : Problematic drummer.

Dizzy-D
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey UG,

I'm in a band, we're doing pretty good, we've been together for a year and a half everyone gets along pretty well and is open minded except for our drummer.

He has been playing for over 10 years but he isn't really good. Definitely not "10 years of playing drums" kinda good. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if he'd ever accept the fact that he's wrong. Even when he clearly joins into a riff on the 2nd beat of the measure he's convinced that he's right and that the problem is we just don't understand how drums are supposed to be played. He's really tense and mechanical when it comes to playing fast fills, can't stay on tempo. In general he's quite stubborn, always pointing out other peoples mistakes and never owning up to his own ones.

We're thinking about getting a new drummer we already have one in mind, the only thing that's kinda holding me back is the fact the me and him actually started the band and it's really weird to get rid of one of the founding members.

Thought's, suggestions?

Jammium
12-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Go for it, you'll never regret kicking out a member if all they did was piss you off.

TheLukeMaxfield
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
its always the drummers haha

unless you not really taking the band overly seriuosly and want to remain friends with the drummer, just get rid of him mate. especially as you have another in mind already

semus
looks to me you gotta choose: either choose him, stay with him for the fun of it, cuz you say he helped start the thing, take everything less seriously for now, and just have fun and whatever, or choose the band, and do whats best for the band, and make it clear that he's not acting the roll of a good drummer, or kick him out, cuz if you do choose to take the band seriously, you cant do it with a drummer like that.

either decide not to take the band that serious for now and have, or do what ya have to do.

Koshman32
Talk it over with the band, and include him in this discussion. Tell him if he's not going to take being in the band, and being a band, serious, then the rest of you will have to find a replacement for him. And let him know you have someone in mind already.

JCLangiu
12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Just came out of a situation like this. It was our bass player however. We did have a group
discussion....but you have to be aware on how you approach that. If he/she feels that it
is three on one they will become defensive and not open to suggestions.

In the end, the tension (as you already stated) made practices not fun. We parted on
good terms and are now doing our own thing with someone new.

Do you have a band name that you both are attached to? Shared songs written?If not,
nothing else really keeping you founders together. If it's not recorded and copywritten
neither of you really can complain if the other plays the songs still.

Dizzy-D
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Do you have a band name that you both are attached to? Shared songs written?If not,
nothing else really keeping you founders together. If it's not recorded and copywritten
neither of you really can complain if the other plays the songs still.

He just writes his drum parts, that's all. We have two demo songs, nothing copywritten yet. We have a name we all like but it was made up by our bass player who left the band (oddly enough, because he couldn't deal with the drummer). The drummer has written two riffs in a song we have, we could stop playing it for all I care if he doesn't wanna part on good terms. So yeah nothing really binding us together more of a moral issue really.

krypticguitar87
12-29-2010, 08:59 PM
He just writes his drum parts, that's all. We have two demo songs, nothing copywritten yet. We have a name we all like but it was made up by our bass player who left the band (oddly enough, because he couldn't deal with the drummer). The drummer has written two riffs in a song we have, we could stop playing it for all I care if he doesn't wanna part on good terms. So yeah nothing really binding us together more of a moral issue really.

kick him.... let him go, if he can't own up to his mistakes now, while there is really no fame at all, just imagine how bad he'll be with just the smallest taste of fame. like if you were to tour in the local area... I mean seriously man, and no you don't need to get rid of the riffs, he chooses to be a dick, so it shouldn't be a surprise when you kick him out...

Damascus
12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Has he ever heard himself recorded?

It can be pretty surprising how much of a difference being in the moment and actually playing the stuff can impair someone's judgement of how what they're doing sounds.

If you think he could improve to the standard you need if he'd just realise what he needed to do, try recording a practice and playing it back to him.

HalfDose
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM
My standard "Crappy Band Member" advice:

Post an ad on Craig's List; make sure he sees it