Should we take the gig?

PDA

View Full Version : Should we take the gig?

Maru717
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey guys so im in need of some advice here, on making a decision.
I had a former band with which we played various gigs in pubs and stuff, and now weve been asked to play again on february 19th. The thing is, since we last played a few months ago, the band went through a series of line up changes which ended in a different band (musically) with 2 of its initial members.

Now, i told the guy who always got us the gigs and stuff (and now asked us to play on feb) that the band he knew broke up and basically theres a different band right now. Now, i DID tell him that we havent composed anything of ours yet, but that were going to- thats the plan anyway. And he said it was okay, as long as we had something prepared for the gig. Now, i still have to talk with the my bandmates, and i know they will want the gig. BUT im afraid that we wont come up with material, or afraid that we wont make it since we have less than 2 months to come up with good stuff and really prepare a good performance. We have some ideas laying around but we really need to start to get working on them, and start rehearsing which were doing pretty sporadically because of "complications".

This could be great to have a goal, a "dead line" that will get us off our butts...but im afraid that there will be a lack of comittment or that our songs come out rushed and sloppy because were under "pressure" to make it to the gig day. I really dont want us to screw up live.

What would you guys do? Take the gig or leave it until were really prepared?

TL: DR: We have a gig in less than 2 months but got no original material prepared yet. We play covers, but were going to start composing. Should we wait until were ready to committ to a gig or should we take it as a way to really start rehearsing and progressing?

Your input/opinion would be much appreciated. Cheers!

EDIT: oh and happy new year! :D

McGryphon
01-01-2011, 12:08 PM
View it as a challenge. If your band's up to snuff, you should be able to compose a few songs before then.
I'd say take the gig.

MaddMann274
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Start composing, remember that you will still have to rehearse the song beforehand... you dont want to f#ck up while playing your own song now do you? ;)
Find some time to rehearse, put all "complications" aside....

Or

DON'T TAKE THE GIG!!! rofl :P

Yours to decide.....

axemanchris
01-01-2011, 12:36 PM
No band should try to write material and prepare it to a level to perform in six weeks. No band.

Seriously.... let's say the Foo Fighters had NO new original material in the can and ready to go, and started today on this same task. They have six weeks to write and rehearse, say, 40 songs. How good would it be? I'll tell ya. Not very. Even if it was 15 songs, how good would it be? Really.

Now you haven't told us how long you are going to be expected to play. An original band usually plays with at least one other band, and as a result plays for no longer than 90 minutes. There's your 15-20 songs. A cover band is usually expected to play at least three 45-minute sets. At least. You should have 30-40 songs ready to go as a cover band.

If you are being hired as a cover band and you have all these covers, then do it. If you are being hired as an original band, then tell the people you're not ready and you're not going to be until, say, June.

The terms may have not been set out, so you might answer, "we haven't been hired for either of those, specifically." The next question, then, is "what will the audience be expecting?"

CT

Maru717
01-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the input everyone :)

No band should try to write material and prepare it to a level to perform in six weeks. No band.

Seriously.... let's say the Foo Fighters had NO new original material in the can and ready to go, and started today on this same task. They have six weeks to write and rehearse, say, 40 songs. How good would it be? I'll tell ya. Not very. Even if it was 15 songs, how good would it be? Really.

Now you haven't told us how long you are going to be expected to play. An original band usually plays with at least one other band, and as a result plays for no longer than 90 minutes. There's your 15-20 songs. A cover band is usually expected to play at least three 45-minute sets. At least. You should have 30-40 songs ready to go as a cover band.

If you are being hired as a cover band and you have all these covers, then do it. If you are being hired as an original band, then tell the people you're not ready and you're not going to be until, say, June.

The terms may have not been set out, so you might answer, "we haven't been hired for either of those, specifically." The next question, then, is "what will the audience be expecting?"

CT

Well, we play with 3 other bands that same night and were expected to play just one 45 minute set. The other bands will play covers and original songs (more of the latter). So i think that with three covers and four original songs were set.

My only concern is that those 4 songs, even though theyre not many to do in a bit less than 2 months wont be good enough. Covers are easy to pull off, its just a matter of practicing it over and over, and weve got the time to polish them. The thing is COMING UP with cool material, in a short period of time. Im afraid that situations like "Oh thats fine that way, lets just leave it like that" will come because were "under pressure" or on a dead-line, so we wont really make it a good a song as if we would if we had more time.

This is similar to all the gigs weve done before: 45 minute sets, with around 3 covers and 4-5 original pieces, and the other bands do that as well. The problem now is, we dont have original material anymore. We have to come up with it.

What do you think??

Thanks a lot for the input!!

jimihendrix6699
01-01-2011, 01:28 PM
i say take it.

make some rough originals that are gig worthy, play them at the gig.

it may just put that creative flame under everyone's ass

DrageKage
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Really? I live In england and the standard set list tends to last no more than 30 mins, sometimes 45 mins if the band thinks it can hold an audiences attention for that long. That goes for original and cover bands.

6 weeks is a tall order, but it can be done if you try and practise more than once a week. However it won't be the best you've ever played, so you've got to ask yourself if you want people to see you not at your best, with a brand new line up or do you want to come out playing stronger than ever. If the latter is the case, leave the gig and work on new material

axemanchris
01-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Really? I live In england and the standard set list tends to last no more than 30 mins, sometimes 45 mins if the band thinks it can hold an audiences attention for that long. That goes for original and cover bands.

Really? :haha:

Around here, you can do 45 minutes as an original band if you are an opening band or are on a bill with 3 or 4 other bands, or doing a festival slot. If you are headlining, you can get away with that if you are on with 3 or 4 other bands. In fact, you'll be limited to that in that situation.

As a cover band, though.... if you only play for 45 minutes, what do the patrons do for the rest of the evening when the band isn't playing?

CT

azianmusician19
01-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Ask your band for an opinion on the matter.

wifiguy51
01-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Ok, well I'm guessing this isn't a really life-changing important gig, so here is what I would do.

You have 45 minutes, you don't have to do all originals, so try to write as much as you can, but you can always do instrumentals. If you guys start jamming and then play something cool, you can always go up there and do instrumentals. A band around here was playing at a restaurant for new years eve and their set was about 2 hours, and I'd say 1/5 of their set was original instrumentals. Try your best to make them sound cool. Then if you can, put words to some of them. Of course instrumentals need to be good enough to just go without vocals, but if you guys get a kick-ass jam going, just remember what everyone is doing, practice it, and go out there and do it.

I rather see a band that had one or two finished (with vocals) songs, a couple of awesome instrumentals, and the rest covers than a band with covers and 4 or 5 songs that were obviously not done and sounded like they were rushed to write.

I wish you guys the best of luck on this challenge!

axemanchris
01-02-2011, 09:26 AM
People who go see cover bands want to hear stuff they know, or at least "sounds" like stuff they know. They want to drink, dance, and sing along.

The audience (depending on the club) will be less than impressed by the above idea. They'll go home, semi-ticked off that the band they just went out to see "spent half the time just jamming and making stuff up." That's if they stick around. And if they don't stick around, you'll have some explaining to do to the person who booked you.

CT

jrakus
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't do the gig in your situation. But my band would. And i would be grateful for the experience afterwards.

SlackerBabbath
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Seriously?
Only you can answer that question.

I know loads of musicians who could easily pull that off. I know that if I personaly had a deal like that, I wouldn't struggle to find a bunch of musicians who were up for a crack and talented enough to get a pretty decent set together in the time given... hell, I've played gigs with new bands at shorter notice than that, I've even played gigs with bands that were essentially the band jamming for the first time, but it takes a lot of confidence and experience for a group of guys to be able to do that and the set would obviously have to be covers.

If you don't have the confidence to know that you can pull off what you're planning, it's probably better to cancel the gig. If you accept it, you better damn well make sure you're ready on the day.

That said, 4 original songs in 2 months should be easy enough, take a month to write them (one a week) and the other month to jam, familiarise yourself with them and polish them. I'd advise you not to make them too complicated, apart from the obvious time constraints causing problems with complex material, a simple tune is often very catchy, and catchy tunes often become crowd pleasers.

the_perdestrian
01-05-2011, 04:45 AM
i wouldn't do it, short deadlines inspire mediocrity.. I say tell him you can play in 3months. this gives you a deadline to prepare for. and gives you enough time to knock out a 45 minutes set. then if you get close to your deadline and don't have the set finished knock out 2-3 covers.

MidniteHaze
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
if you get close to your deadline and don't have the set finished knock out 2-3 covers.

+1
I'd take it, good way to get the band started off on a good track. Make sure you save a couple days to a week to rehearse the songs you've completed. Dont make songs right up to the day before. Just put together as many songs as you can, try not to feel rushed. If you feel rushed, you will be rushed. Then that feeling will carry over to your playing, then the songs you complete will sound sh*tty. The covers idea is good too. Or you could do some kind of instrumental band jam up there or something for a good couple minuets.

lockwolf
01-06-2011, 10:59 PM
2 months is more than enough to come up with 4-5 halfway decent songs.

Either nut up or shutup