Help with a Guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Guitarist

Xter
01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
So some friends and I started a band, and My "Friend A" plays guitar, we are both guitarist in the band but we have a huge problem. Hes like a Syn Gates copy, He cant play anything besides Syn Gates stuff really, His improvised leads are.... Garbage to say the least, He dosn't know any scales, He knows basic chords but plays power chords 99% of the time. He can do Sweep Arppegio's but, He can only do the ones from a few Avenged Sevenfold songs.

Friend A has no musician qualties to be honest, We jammed before but everytime he went to improvise, it was ethier something from Avenged Sevenfolds material or it was blahh. And I noticed when he played, He has poor techinque and never uses anything like Vibratio. He dosn't stay in key when we agree on a specfic key and he dosn't understand that not everything has to have 500 notes to the bar. Plus he tries to show off all the time when he plays, He can't play a simple rhythm without trying to add a solo between every measure.

Basically Friend A has Poor Techinque, No improvising abilities, A poor musicial vocabulary, and is very uncreative and relies to much on what another Guitarist from another band wrote to sound good. I don't want to boot his ass but I don't want to say to him he sucks excatly and needs to expand his knowlegde by 1000x. I wouldn't mind helping him improve but I know as soon as I suggested that he would get pissy and stuff because to him his guitar playing is the best thing since sliced bread.

Any Suggestions?

BlitzkriegAir
01-01-2011, 04:41 PM
make him play bass haha

or
you can just tell him what the deal is and if he doesnt play like you think he should that he should just stop

SomeBlueKind
01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Sucks to be him. Basically, anyone who's guitar playing isn't based either in classical or the blues, gets absolutely no respect from me.

Shazaku
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Drop off the harsher stuff on here, try and get him into some other musicians like dime or nuno or someone, at least someone with a little feel. Confront him, tell him to learn more stuff and stop his bs or he's out. If he gets an attitude, four pieces are better anyway

Banjocal
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Sucks to be him. Basically, anyone who's guitar playing isn't based either in classical or the blues, gets absolutely no respect from me.
massively closed-minded man. thats actually quite pathetic.

TS: tell him he needs to start listening to other bands, learning different styles, getting his chord knowledge up, and very importantly - to get better at improvising. dont bullshit him or beat around the bush; tell him straight what he needs to do, and how to do it.

good luck :) :cheers:

Xter
01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try, any sugestion on Guitarists or even Musicians of any insturment I should tell him to listen too? I know I got a nice blues sound from this one saxaphonist and maybe it could help my friend if he was introuced to a different insturmentist playing then all the Guitar stuff

otto6457
01-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Well...I'm rather new here and a rank beginning guitarist, but I was in several good bands as a drummer and dealt with a lot of guitarists with varying talents and musical styles so maybe my experience will be useful.

Unfortunately, the situation between you two is not likely going to get better musically. It's pretty clear that you two do not see music in the same way and it looks like you have a much broader spectrum of influences and a very different idea of the music you want to make.

Probably you should look for a new guitarist. While it's an uncomfortable situation, do you honestly see yourself being satisfied compromising your music for very long? It has to be about the music or the band will fail anyway. Everyone in the band needs to be on the same page musically, or at least share a common love of the music they make. There is always some compromising in good bands, but the compromises are based upon mutual respect and a love of the music. Obviously, this doesn't sound like the case here.

It's not a matter of whether you two will go your separate ways...but when.

Plus, he will probably be better off in the long run finding other musicians that share his vision of music.

Banjocal
01-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try, any sugestion on Guitarists or even Musicians of any insturment I should tell him to listen too? I know I got a nice blues sound from this one saxaphonist and maybe it could help my friend if he was introuced to a different insturmentist playing then all the Guitar stuff
definitely! learning licks and developing ideas from other instruements is a great way to advance your guitar playing; from any other instrument. :)

also, get him to listen to lots of different genres. not just metal: country and blues, folk and funk. he might just love on of them, and proceed to develop his style to have that influence :cheers:

^above post: TS; this is good to keep in mind as thats some excellent advise hes given. keep in mind you may have different visions, and if you dont share the same vision, then maybe you should find someone who does.

Shazaku
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Be carefull how you give him stuff though, if he's a snob like you say, he might start turning stuff down just cause you're trying to give it to him.

Xter
01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys, Hopefully He'll expand to more stuff, and the visions on music is true, but in my area its very hard to find alot of Musicians but I suppose if worse came to worse and we did have to boot him I could try and do both rhythm and lead till we find a better guitarist

Hail
01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd try to get him into more neoclassical/shred metal kinda stuff. He's more likely to be interested in it, and I got a lot more interest in other genres early on listening to Buckethead play all kinds of music than from listening to old blues records, but that's just me.

My suggestion would be to show him some Vai, Buckethead, Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, etc. and tell him to learn some of that. Either a) he'll realize he's not hot shit, or b) he'll start learning some stuff that requires some adept musicality and will pick up the theory behind it as he goes.

jrakus
01-01-2011, 10:09 PM
don't judge him. That's your problem. Let him be/become what he really is. Every guitarist develops differently in the first few years. If you don't fit together replace him or leave the band

JDizzle787
01-02-2011, 02:50 AM
I'd say the only thing you can do is write around him if you have to have him in your band. If he complains or objects, just tell him to give it a chance and wait to hear the final product. Give him chances and places to write his own stuff, and direct him when you need him to repeat stuff and such. I've had the same situation in my band with a few of the members. While everyone's creative, not everyone knows everything to express themselves "correctly" in music.