Trying to form a band...

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to form a band...

Bluesblitz
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Hey folks, I'm facing a bit of a problem: I'm trying to form a band, and have a few friends who play. 2 of them are bassists, and already play in a band, 1 plays, and the other does vocals. I'd like to get the vocalist/bassist to join in on my endeavor, but don't know how him being in his current band will affect things. So, any thoughts?

Dio10101
01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
If you're good at what you do, then he'd probably be into the idea. Most of the time having two bands doesn't harm a person. But everyone is different, so What do i know? Go ahead and ask him, that's the only way to find out.

pwrmax
01-01-2011, 11:48 PM
have a few friends who play
There's your first mistake

ChancellorErik
01-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Agreed. All the bands I've been in where we've been friends before we started playing together have failed horribly. My current band is great because we found each other via craigslist and have since become friends.

RokLobsta
01-02-2011, 12:00 AM
There's your first mistake Just to get this clear, the mistake is that he wants them because they are his friends and not because they want to play and/or write similar music. Right?

ozzyismetal
01-02-2011, 12:15 AM
We aren't going to know how he will respond, everyone is different. Just ask him and see what happens.

Bluesblitz
01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
On the topic of friends, It just seemed more convenient to play with people I knew, since it was safer. I see what you guys are saying, but will it really hinder practice/jamming?

pwrmax
01-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Just to get this clear, the mistake is that he wants them because they are his friends
Yes, that.
On the topic of friends, It just seemed more convenient to play with people I knew, since it was safer. I see what you guys are saying, but will it really hinder practice/jamming?
There is the odd chance that you have both good friend chemistry and good musician chemistry but I wouldn't count on it.

work sucks
01-02-2011, 03:00 AM
everybody has different experiences. in mine, i've been way more successful in making music with friends than with strangers. there's just so much more chemistry and a type of intuition that makes the process much more natural for me among friends.

and i know for a fact that many of my favorite bands started out as relationships before the music ever came into play... so i wouldn't just shoot down the idea of playing with friends like that, because it does work out sometimes (and when it does, it feels good).

wifiguy51
01-02-2011, 06:25 AM
I found the problem with bands with friends was the one who wanted to started it is usually the only one serious about it. They just want to start a band, so the first place they look is a friend, who happens to play an instrument. If you guys are friends because you both are so into music and playing music, then that's might not be so bad, but if you're friends who just happen to play, then there may be potential problems along the way. One or more people may not be serious about it, and you become stalled.

You can always kick them out, but it's way harder to kick out a good friend, and possibly hurt your friendship, than kick out a stranger who was there strictly for business and to possibly become friends along the way. If you're really serious about it, find out how serious your friends are about it, if they aren't, I'd say try with people who are. Of course if you aren't serious about it and just wanna have fun, then a friend band might be the way to go.

pwrmax
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I found the quote I was looking for.

"A friendship founded on business is a good deal better than a business founded on friendship." - John D. Rockefeller

work sucks
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I found the quote I was looking for.

"A friendship founded on business is a good deal better than a business founded on friendship." - John D. Rockefeller
i completely agree with that, but it isn't really relevant in this context...

although i suppose the OP should clarify what his intentions are by starting a band.

isabiggles
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with starting a band with your friends. I can think of a number of great bands that formed from childhood friendships. The thing is that you have to remember that they were you friends first and you should treat them as such. If you all have the right attitude then it should be absolutely fine and you shouldn't have any problems but if you go into it trying to 'make it' then you'll end up hating each other.