Would you pay this much just for flyers?

PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay this much just for flyers?

honkytown
01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok, my band is on the hunt for some flyers & we found someone who works from his home (he's got a bunch of cool poster art in his basement).

His designs are really cool (but not freakin amazing or anything) & we're a local band. We're really serious about gigging, but we don't have that many fans yet.

Anyway, he charges $50 for 100 8.5x11 inch posters (back side will be blank). Do you think this is a good deal for us and why? What could be a better deal?

Dio10101
01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
thats 50 cents a poster. That sounds like a damned good price to me.

Linkerman
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
All the bands around here just make the posters themselves either by hand or in computer, and then photocopy them in black and white in A4 sheet size at a copy center.

Since the photocopies are dirt cheap, you can even print some small versions (like 2 to 4 per A4 sheet) and hand them out on the streets as flyers.

Chrisseh
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Sounds alright... if you look around abit more and find somewhere cheaper, maybe try and get him to lower his charge for you, even if his are better.

patsfannumero1
01-02-2011, 06:40 PM
It's a good deal but just in case, pay the man to make you the posters and then murder him to get your money back. It's a win win situation.

theogonia777
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
All the bands around here just make the posters themselves either by hand or in computer, and then photocopy them in black and white in A4 sheet size at a copy center.

Since the photocopies are dirt cheap, you can even print some small versions (like 2 to 4 per A4 sheet) and hand them out on the streets as flyers.

this. one of my teachers in school even let me make like 100 copies one time for free.

dudebud
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
You should just pay him for design and get the copies done elsewhere. $50 is decent for including design but you can easily pay less than 20 cents a copy, even with color.

Phone around to a couple places that do copies (any business supply store, Kinkos, whatever) and get the best price.

50 cents a copy is steep for posters.

honkytown
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Ok, but I'm sure your flyers are also boring black & white flyers (NO OFFENSE!). This guy is gonna give me full color flyers.

I'm just sayin'...

dudebud
01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok, but I'm sure your flyers are also boring black & white flyers (NO OFFENSE!). This guy is gonna give me full color flyers.

I'm just sayin'...

Don't do what these guys are doing. Full color should be used everytime, no exceptions. The easiest way to look like an unprofessional show is to have shitty looking posters. Nobody will stop and look at a random poster if it looks like junk, let alone actually go to your show and spend money on it.

Punk_Ninja
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
If the art is coming from the same person as printing that seems alright.

But what would be most cost effective is to get a good artist/graphic designer/whatever that you know to make a decent one for free/cheap. Just one master copy like.
Then just find somewhere that does copies and get however many done in full colour for a lot less!

axemanchris
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Get him to give you a breakdown of how much he is charging you for art and how much he is charging you for copying.

For instance, if you wanted 50 fliers, would it be half the price? If you wanted 200 posters, would it be twice the price?

I personally think that 20 well-placed posters is more effective than 200 of them just smacked up on poles where nobody whizzing by at 60 km/hr is going to be able to read them.

Where are you going to put them?

How else are you promoting this gig?

I've mentioned this to you before, but posters and fliers really only have limited effectiveness promoting gigs. They can pay off in the longer run, but you really can't expect people to see a poster for a bunch of bands they've never heard of before and say to themselves, "Hey, this sounds like a great night out."

CT

SlackerBabbath
01-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah, it seems a fair price if he's designing the posters but possibly a little expensive on the printing side. This size is basicaly just a little smaller than A4, which can obviously be done at home on a colour printer much cheaper, although the quality probably won't be as good if he's using professional printing equipment.

So long as you are happy with the results, I think it's probably worth the price.

Zycho
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
That's a pretty decent price if the art is included and it's a good print. I would never buy a hundred flyers for one show though.

honkytown
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
That's a pretty decent price if the art is included and it's a good print. I would never buy a hundred flyers for one show though.

But why not? Would you buy more or less? I just want as many of the right people to come as possible.

kraftmacaroni
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
but like axemanchris said they're sort of helpful and all, but if no one has heard of you they won't go to your show because they saw a flier stuck to a wall.

xsv434
01-04-2011, 01:03 AM
at http://www.clubflyers.com you can get 500 4x6 postcards for free. you just have to pay shipping

Zycho
01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
But why not? Would you buy more or less? I just want as many of the right people to come as possible.
Posting fliers everywhere isn't going to get people to come. I'd only need 5-10 to post in key places, where I know people are looking out for shows/may recognize us.

SlackerBabbath
01-04-2011, 05:55 AM
I would never buy a hundred flyers for one show though.

That's not the only option though.
You could have 'generic' fliers made, ones that simply advertised the band and directed the prospective punter towards a web site that will give them up to date information on the band and their gigs.
These will do for any gig you have coming up, especialy if the gig is going to be advertised elsewhere, such as in the press or on the radio. Basicaly you can use them purely as a way of getting the public familiar with the name.

Bulk printing is always (or should be) cheaper than printing small runs, so a generic design that works for any event you may have coming up is actuly a cheaper option, just so long as you get a lot done at once.

Many bands also have generic posters that have a blank space at the bottom so that details of individual gigs can be filled in later with a marker pen. Slack Babbath once had 2000 posters made in this way and let me tell you, it saved a lot of work and made us more efficient in our organisation. Whenever we got a gig, the posters were already available, ready to send to whoever was promoting the gig, who then filled in the appropriate details themselves. That means that posters were sent out earlier, which then menat that our advertising started earlier and lasted longer. That one printing run, although expensive at the time, also ended up saving us money because we avoided small print runs for individual shows, and the pile of posters we got lasted us for ages.

Punk_Ninja
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
On the number of flyers, 100, in my eyes, is too much, definitely. But on the whole "flyers don't get people to come to a gig if they don't know who's on" sorta thing, it depends.
If you're doing a flyer for a single gig you can jam the bar offers on the flyer. Like if they do cheap jagerbombs or something (I've found this to be a common offer) put it on the flyer somewhere. Or something like that. It gives the user an incentive to come, like if it's someone who's going out the night of your gig, and they're going for a bit of a pub crawl with their mates or something, if they see that the place you're playing at has cheap drinks they might think "It'll be better than sitting in a pub" or something.

Though it's all very much hope with that stuff!

Also, the idea SlackerBabbath suggests, printing out loads of posters with a blank space for individual writing is a great one too. I've known a few bands do that and it is very cost-effective, though you might need a lot of pens if you're planning to plaster them up everywhere! :p:

Zycho
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Generic posters are indeed great. Not only can they be used for promo, but they make great deal sweeteners for merch. "If you buy this shirt I'll throw in this poster for free!" However, for show posters I still feel 100 is way too much.

semus
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
our band prints flyers for every show, the flyers we print are about 8X15 Centimeters, not really big, and are black and white, but they cost us around a dollar for a 100 of em.
sure, they arnt big or flashy, not the best quality out there, but we print out about 600 a time and just put them wherever we can, and they work just fine for us

SlackerBabbath
01-05-2011, 05:59 AM
our band prints flyers for every show, the flyers we print are about 8X15 Centimeters, not really big, and are black and white, but they cost us around a dollar for a 100 of em.
sure, they arnt big or flashy, not the best quality out there, but we print out about 600 a time and just put them wherever we can, and they work just fine for us

Well, we're looking at cost effectiveness here.

Obviously it generaly costs the same in printing bills to print so many flyers at one size as it does to print half the amount of flyers at twice the size. (if they are also cutting the flyers for you, then the cost may actualy be more for the smaller sized flyers because the job includes more cutting)

So which is more cost effective? 600 small flyers or 300 flyers twice the size?
It's a difficult question and it depends upon how the flyers are used.

If they are just being handed out, the smaller option would probably be best, people are actualy more likely to put a smaller flyer that's just been handed to them as they go about their busy lives in their pocket for later study. With a larger flyer they may not have anywhere suitable to put it so are more likely to simply throw it away as soon as they are out of your sight without actualy reading it properly, but if those flyers are also designed to be displayed somewhere then a larger, more striking flyer will obviously work better.

Personaly, when I'm ordering a print run for a particular design, I generaly go with a standard A3 sized sheets, about half will be full sized, (making quite servicable posters) a quarter will have 2 A4 sized versions to each sheet (which are good for shop windows, who often don't like larger posters) and the remaining quarter will have 4 A5 sized versions (great for just handing out) to each sheet printed on them. I do my own cutting, bringing down costs, and I'm left with both large, medium and small flyers from a single print run.
The re-sizing of the design can obviously bump the price of the print run up a little, but not as much as it would cost to order three seperate runs.

kyle62
01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
100 is way too many.

If you're a popular band, you don't need that much advertising.

If you're not a well known band, flyers aren't going to make more people magically turn up.

Find a good designer to do a design for you (I charge around $10-$20 or so for a reusable poster design, if you know someone on a design course you can often blag it for free as part of their work) then go to a local print/copy shop. My local printer usually does me around 20 sheets of A3 (big) on high-quality card stock for about 4.

ALWAYS go for black and white if you're trying to stay on a budget, it costs about 1/10th of colour and often looks just as professional (often better). B&W printed on matte card stock costs less and looks better than cheap colour.