CD Baby, credit card swiper, *huge sigh*

PDA

View Full Version : CD Baby, credit card swiper, *huge sigh*

honkytown
01-03-2011, 04:12 AM
OK, I'm throwing around the idea in my head about whether or not I should just join with CD Baby.

Personally, I strongly feel like it's not even worth it. I think CD Baby is slowly ripping artists off & there's just too many "catches". Problem is, I think I could really use that credit card swiper Lol!

Seriously, though...what are the chances of a fan saying "Oh, you don't accept credit cards? Oh...nevermind then." Do you think I'm making a dumb mistake by NOT signing up with CD Baby? Do I really need a credit card swiper?

IronFeliks
01-03-2011, 04:20 AM
A "swiper" is known as a P.O.S. (point of sale), and whoever provides it, be it a brick and mortar bank, or a POS service are going to charge you an percentage of sales, like 2.5% per transaction range. Not sure what the CD Baby policy is, but you are going to have to pay someone for the service.

James

honkytown
01-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Right, I know what it is & what it does. I'm just asking if I'll really be out of sales if I go on tour or something (I'm in a local band, but we're not exactly know yet)

IronFeliks
01-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Well it just depends, how much merch are ya'll going to peddle, if you are just doing CD's then no there is no justification for the expense, at least not until you are pushing some volume. Now if you have shirts and posters and hats and keychains and cozies, then yes get the POS.

James

nouse4aname125
01-03-2011, 06:17 AM
ive never had anyone ask if i accepted credit cards. because no one really expects you to. that would be kinda cool to have. but like people are saying, only if you have enough merch to justify it

axemanchris
01-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Yeah, people don't accept you to take credit cards at shows. If you want to take credit cards or have people pay by debit card on your website, get a PayPal account and do that.

CT

Zycho
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Why give your money to CD baby? Go make some CDs yourself and keep 100% of the profits.

honkytown
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah, people don't accept you to take credit cards at shows. If you want to take credit cards or have people pay by debit card on your website, get a PayPal account and do that.

CT
Yeah, I didn't think so. I'm glad I got a few more opinions, thanks

Why give your money to CD baby? Go make some CDs yourself and keep 100% of the profits.
I agree with you, but now that I've thought about it again...it makes absolutely NO sense to go with CD Baby.

kbreuner
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I think there is a couple major points being missed here. CD Baby is not just a service so your customers/fans can take credits cards. That is definitely a nice feature, but the point of CD Baby is that we will sell and ship your CDs worldwide. We have tens of thousands of people coming to our site every day (from all over the world) looking for great new indie music. They know they can find something new and unique at CD Baby. Also, CD Baby not only sells CDs & MP3's, but we distribute your music to all the major digital services like iTunes, Amazon MP3, Rhapsody, and many more.

What we tell artists, is that it's best to have your music everywhere. Having it for sale on your own website is good, but you must also be where all the music fans are shopping as well. It's especially important this time of year when so many fans are looking to redeem all those gift cards they got for Christmas.

As for the original point of this thread, the CD Baby Swiper is really intended to accept credit cards at live shows. It's a no hassle way to take credit cards without having open a costly merchant account. It needs no electricity or internet connection. For some artists, they have found this to be an extremely useful tool to drive merch sales at their show.

If you have any other questions, we'd be happy to help.

Kevin
CD Baby

PS - Right now, if you use coupon code XMAS2010, you can save 20% on a CD Baby album signup.