How to find a singer

PDA

View Full Version : How to find a singer

Kyleisthename
01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Hello,
My band has been trying to find a singer for about a year now.
I've done everything I can to try and find one, fliers, Craigslist, UG ads, asking random people, ect ect. I need some help on a better way to get the word out that my band is looking for a singer. I have recorded demos we have made that I send to people who inquire about us but most of the people are 25+ which isn't really what we're looking for.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

von gelb
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
And why is age an issue? If they're good, they're good and people over 25 know how to party too. It's not like they have forgotten how.

We had the same problem and age wasn't an issue for us. And I've been in countless other bands where the age difference was big, sometimes more than 20 years!

Kyleisthename
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal but it's hard to find someone who is willing to dedicate time for a serious band that is over 25 because of multiple reasons. I live in a Military town so the only people of that age group are usually being deployed at any moment.

Punk_Ninja
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Finding a singer can be very tricky!

My band went through 3 before we find ours I think.
The first guy who tried out was doing alright (a bit cocky, kept trying to play rhythm guitar despite our stuff not suiting that sound and stuff, but alright), though when we had our first gig he bailed and me and the bassist had to fill in for vocals which wasn't great!

Another we asked refused to do our songs.

And the first lineup of the band had an alright singer, but she kept wanting to do like screamo stuff.

Our singer now is fairly cool, a bit unreliable sometimes, but she's not from the same town as rhe rest of us so we can let her off a bit!

All I can say is keep looking. Also you'll learn to lose some of the requirements that you need in a singer when the search gets harder! :p:

Kyleisthename
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
We don't have very many requirements. Just that they be within our age group and can actually sing.

Punk_Ninja
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
We don't have very many requirements. Just that they be within our age group and can actually sing.

Ah, well the age range thing may go out the window if you get frustrated with the search!
One of my band's singers was 27, which was ten years older than me, we wanted the singer to be around our age, but when he came along we were so desperate!
Band members can be hard to find.

krypticguitar87
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
look man, I get that you are worried about their comitment but if you are going to say no just cuz they are older than 25 then you might as well give up now... unless you are all like 13 then I don't see the problem. in the end it should be about the sound not about how old the person is. also don't worry about their longevity, if they don't work out then go on to the next. it's that simple, but don't just assume that those people wont care about the band. If they can sing give them a chance at least. I can understand you wanting them to be able to sing, but they really cant help their age, they didn't choose the year they were born.

basically if you're going to be that picky about age, and you are having trouble finding a singer, then I find it difficult to have simpathy for you.

Jango22
01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
If the music fits the style, stay instrumental. My band started out as instrumental and we've recently added a singer, but we're slowly realizing that we like the songs instrumental better.

scguitarking927
01-03-2011, 11:45 PM
what type of music is it. Any general rock type music you can just grab one of your friends who may be very charismatic. As long as they can carry a basic tune that's all you need, and on top of that you'll have a very interesting charismatic frontman.

Punk_Ninja
01-04-2011, 08:27 AM
This is a bit off topic, but I find it painfully annoying that I was all "My band have found our singer now and we're lucky".
Last night she told us that she's quitting the band. >_<

Lucky I know someone who's been wanting to sing for our band for a month or so now!

But on topic, Krypticguitar, age and commitment is a very valid reason to not want a singer. I personally don't tend to follow it (hell I've been speaking to a 46 year old bassist about a blues project!), but older people do tend to have more committments to their life, which they'll choose to prioritise over a band. I've experienced this myself.
Also, from a "making it" point of view, anyone older than 25 really isn't what the music industry is looking for from a band unless they've already had their feet in the industry.

Not sure what the goals of the threadstarter's band are, but labels mught possibly see "One member is 29, no, too old." or something.

Though if it is just for gigging around and having fun, if you can find a singer who will take you seriously and make the band a priority then there's no reason you shouldn't take an older person!

krypticguitar87
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I find it painfully annoying that I was all "My band have found our singer now and we're lucky".
Last night she told us that she's quitting the band. >_<

Lucky I know someone who's been wanting to sing for our band for a month or so now!

But on topic, Krypticguitar, age and commitment is a very valid reason to not want a singer. I personally don't tend to follow it (hell I've been speaking to a 46 year old bassist about a blues project!), but older people do tend to have more committments to their life, which they'll choose to prioritise over a band. I've experienced this myself.
Also, from a "making it" point of view, anyone older than 25 really isn't what the music industry is looking for from a band unless they've already had their feet in the industry.

Not sure what the goals of the threadstarter's band are, but labels mught possibly see "One member is 29, no, too old." or something.

Though if it is just for gigging around and having fun, if you can find a singer who will take you seriously and make the band a priority then there's no reason you shouldn't take an older person!

I'm not saying it's not a valid reason, but you have the option of kicking them, and it would at least give TS something to start with. My point is that if you have exhausted every avenue with no success, give the person willing to sing for you a try. worst that could happen is that the guy doesn't care about the band, then you get rid of em, that simple.