Going on tour. Need help.

PDA

View Full Version : Going on tour. Need help.

ThorVonClemson
01-06-2011, 05:32 AM
So I just found out today that I will be going on a north american tour opening for one of my favorite bands of all time.

I've never toured before.

My guitarist and I were talking to each other and other bands that have toured and for 25 days 5000 dollars should cover our travel expenses.

We're aloud to use the headlining band's gear so all we really have to bring is our guitars.

Is there anything we need to know or bring?

We'll be renting a van. Sleeping in it two days and sleeping in a hotel every third day.

We're probably going to get wireless systems before the tour.

should we also get multi effects pedals with channel presets/ noise gates / tuners before the tour?

Any advice?

Don't Panic Ok?
01-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Check out this thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389833)

ThorVonClemson
01-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Check out this thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389833)

I'm well aware of that thread. I was hoping for some more specific answers that cater to my situation.

nouse4aname125
01-06-2011, 06:43 AM
always expect the worse. try to get more than 5000 for emergencies. what did you guys budget in to come up with that number?

Punk_Ninja
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
My guitarist and I were talking to each other and other bands that have toured and for 25 days 5000 dollars should cover our travel expenses.

Account for EVERY single possibility. Think how much you'll need, then slap some more on that, nothing could be worse than being stranded or ****ed cos you didn't pack an extra few hundred!

We're aloud to use the headlining band's gear so all we really have to bring is our guitars.

The amount of times I've seen bands who are allowed to use another band's gear have problems actually getting to use it is insane. Personally I'd pack your own gear, there could be complications, the other band could change their mind, they could be a bit stingy over their settings, etc etc.

Is there anything we need to know or bring?

Do a mixture of packing everything and packing nothing!
Only pack essentials, but make sure that you don't pack things that are stupid to pack,but also, similarly to money, account for everything. For example, if you're expecting good weather, take a coat anyway! It may come in handy.
Also, things like wet wipes, you don't want to be feeing dirty!

We're probably going to get wireless systems before the tour.

This allows for more potential problems, I think you should be fine being cabled, if you feel you need to have a wireless system I'd suggest only having one for the singer, noone else really needs one.

should we also get multi effects pedals with channel presets/ noise gates / tuners before the tour?

I'd say each member with a guitar should have a tuner, they're a very valuable piece of kit.
If you have excessive noise in your rig get a noisegate, but it may not be needed.
I wouldnt' suggest buying a floor rig just for this tour, take what you'd usually have with you at a gig or in practice or something.
If you have no pedals usually, don't bother with 'em here!
But I would invest in a tuner, can be very handy!

Also. I can not stress the importance of planning. Plan everything, never been on tour myself, but I have read a lot, and experienced touring bands. And I can really tell you there's nothing that makes you look more stupid than nearly getting into a fight over 2 because you need a taxi to your hotel.

This follows onto my next point being, don't put your gig/merch payments (if you get any) into your budget for the tour. It can seriously screw you up if you don't get as much as you hoped.
The previous band I was on about said they'd play for free, then demanded 100, we refused (I was in the band in charge of the night and in the opening band, was doing some session work for one of 'em) cos it was just unreasonable, so we said they could have some of the cash off the door, each band only made 5, then those guys demanded all the cash cos they needd to get to their hotel cos they spent all their money trying to get my singer drunk and stoned so they could try it on with her.

This sort of thing is seen a lot really, so always keep a level head, keep your money in check and realise that you are not a rockstar, you're on tour yes, but you can't go acting a prick just because you're on tour.
Have fun definitely, but make sure you've got everything sorted, if you're going to get drunk or high or something make sure you have the money budgeted for that part of the tour.

I guess to shorten that large chunk I should just say, be very careful with your money and make sure everything goes to plan (to do this account for every possible mistake!)

Oh, and, be very nice to the sound guy at every gig!

Withakay
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
So I just found out today that I will be going on a north american tour opening for one of my favorite bands of all time.Now I'm curious. Who are you and what band are you going to open for? Can I check you guys out on YouTube?
Is there anything we need to know or bring?Condoms! Lots of them.

honkytown
01-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Condoms! Lots of them.
****ing gross. :rolleyes: Thanks for solidifying the rockstar stereotype even more.

UnbrokenGlass
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
****ing gross. :rolleyes: Thanks for solidifying the rockstar stereotype even more.
Yup, it's so much better to go in bareback. :rolleyes:

ThorVonClemson
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
damn. such good advice. all for nothing. (for now at least) Destruction's US booking agent / tour manager asked us to play and sent us the contracts and everything two days ago but Destruction's european management declined an hour ago.

fireblast13
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not experienced or anything, but its really common sense at times.... don't be stupid. Don't get drunk and then drive (OBVIOUSLY)... But is $5000 absolutely necessary for a month tour??
Reason I ask is that my band HOPES to go on tour in 2012, and we'll be pooling our money together in the next year or so.... Frankly, I think we'd be lucky to have $2000 or so....

But still. Don't do anything stupid, stick to a written itinerary. Nothing is worse than not knowing what you'll be doing tomorrow or in two weeks.

Punk_Ninja
01-07-2011, 03:06 AM
damn. such good advice. all for nothing. (for now at least) Destruction's US booking agent / tour manager asked us to play and sent us the contracts and everything two days ago but Destruction's european management declined an hour ago.

It's a North American tour, surely they have no say?

Withakay
01-07-2011, 07:36 AM
damn. such good advice. all for nothing. (for now at least) Destruction's US booking agent / tour manager asked us to play and sent us the contracts and everything two days ago but Destruction's european management declined an hour ago.This sucks, man. Sorry to hear that.

Quintex
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Unfortunate that you lost this opportunity. That looked like a great tour to be involved with that had decent venues.

However, since you were looking at it I would just like to point out where a huge pitfall would have occurred had you gone on this tour.

May 9 - Montreal
May 10 - Baltimore

First, who was going to deal with work visas and temporary importation of equipment into Canada?

Also, Montreal to Baltimore is about a 10 hour drive with a border crossing (almost random delay, let's see, bunch of young guys with musical instruments returning from Canada in a van ...).