Playing a gig with a different genre?

PDA

View Full Version : Playing a gig with a different genre?

zooloo99
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi all,
My band is normally a sort of pop-punk/rock band and we play a lot of similar genred music like metal and the such.
Thing is, we have a unique opportunity to perform at a historic railway that our bassist works at (don't ask), but the problem is that if we do, we'd have to play something from around the 1920s, most likely blues.

Question is, should we take this gig and if so, what would be good blues songs from roughly that period (I don't think there'll be any musicographers in the crowd of tourists)?

ARMAGEDDON_IT
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I reckon go for it, its good to experience and get a feel for different genres of music. :)
As far as 1920's blues go, I don't think you could really go any better than some old Robert Johnson tunes.
Try 'Sweet Home Chicago' for a start, and 'Crossroads' is another good one.

reversegenesis
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
If you're doing it to gain new fans its probably not a good idea, people watching will think you always play blues and be disappointed to learn you dont. On the other hand, gig experience is always a good thing.

morciu
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
i'd go for it.
sounds really fun.

Don't Panic Ok?
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
1920s? That's prime-time for big-band jazz, try some of the following popular tunes:
'Anything Goes' Paul Whiteman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mICW3dqwlFs)
'Crazy Words, Crazy Tune' California Ramblers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLvtHGmazE)
'Where'd You Get Those Eyes?' Ted Lewis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yJGbUsURk&feature=related)

zooloo99
01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
My blues knowledge is a bit non-existant, but are trainblues from the 20s? Because that would be something great as it's a train station :P

EDIT: Actually, better yet, what would be good songs to play with our small arrangement of two guitars, drums, bass and a harmonica?
Something acoustic seems possible.

Myshadow46_2
01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I doubt it'll work, especially if you've never played Blues\Jazz before. I think you'll need quite a bit of time to prepare, and that will stop you working at the music your band normally plays.

drama.princess
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
If you're doing it to gain new fans its probably not a good idea, people watching will think you always play blues and be disappointed to learn you dont.
This.

I would do it, but I wouldn't advertise it as your regular band.

willwelsh816
01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
blues is the common denominator for all popular music. It's kinda hard to be good at a musical instrument without brushing against the blues at least once. Metal came from hard rock, which came from rock, which came from the blues. Punk came from ska(from what I understand about the genre), ska came from r&b, and that came from the blues. Music is just one more thing that black people made more interesting to the general public. It should be the easiest way to jam, but for some reason, musicians these days feel that it is unnecisary to learn.

Why doesn't the guy hire a more specialized band? Also, I don't think an electric band like yours should be playing a 1920s themed gig, the music back then was mostly horn bands. Guitars didn't really get a hold until the 30s I believe with charlie christian, which you would need to intensley study to even get the jist of what that man was doing.

Maybe there could be a 1980s themed show in that venue in the future you can play though, a band like your's would probably rock that :)

zooloo99
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
...Why doesn't the guy hire a more specialized band? Also, I don't think an electric band like yours should be playing a 1920s themed gig, the music back then was mostly horn bands. Guitars didn't really get a hold until the 30s I believe with charlie christian, which you would need to intensley study to even get the jist of what that man was doing.

Maybe there could be a 1980s themed show in that venue in the future you can play though, a band like your's would probably rock that :)

Well, we aren't being hired, per se.
The gig would most likely be for free, but my band would be greatful for being able to get some gig experience...and have an open guitar case in front of us for any generous tourists :P

I think just some blues jamming in a few keys will do us, plus a few covers.

AlanHB
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Aren't you a cover band anyway? A couple of blues numbers would do you well.

the_perdestrian
01-08-2011, 01:07 AM
skifle do skifle. its really simple, and just say it, skiffle.

heres a 14 year old jimmy page playing skiffle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUyHpoWnT4

zooloo99
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
skifle do skifle. its really simple, and just say it, skiffle.

heres a 14 year old jimmy page playing skiffle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUyHpoWnT4

So how do you play Skiffle?

Burntout Chump
01-10-2011, 01:41 PM
we'd have to play something from around the 1920s, most likely blues.

Are you actually required to play blues from the 1920's? Or are you just assuming? If you're just assuming, talk to the person who is in charge of running the gig. Maybe you'll find that you aren't expected to play that at all :D

zooloo99
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Are you actually required to play blues from the 1920's? Or are you just assuming? If you're just assuming, talk to the person who is in charge of running the gig. Maybe you'll find that you aren't expected to play that at all :D

Y'know, sometimes common sense isn't all that common! :haha: