Help with starting a new band.

PDA

View Full Version : Help with starting a new band.

donisthatcool
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi, im Don Weisse and im a 17 year old guitarist located in Sound Beach, NY. Me, and my friends Cody, Kyle and Dan want to start a metal-esk band. We each have different influences, and work well togather. I play lead guitar, Dan sings and plays rythem, Kyle is our bassist, and Cody plays drums. I was wondering if anyone could help with advice on how to start a band, keeping it all togather, setting up shows and possibly even going to the studio to record an album. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Feel free to email me at donweisseesp@gmail.com

Thanks guys, best wishes,
Don Weisse.

thejester
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
-well first is to decide what you want to do, i am assuming originals so start writing songs together and practicing them until you are bored with them because you know them so well.
-get a band name, not something stupid or that you think is funny or a fad. work on a good band name. set up an email account gmail or yahoo or whatever that says "ourbandname@gmail.com"
-research in your area where live shows are held. go and talk to the 'booking manager'/manager etc to get in a slot.
-you might need a demo of you guys playing to get a gig so you could even record with really basic software (audacity) and a poor mic (web conference mic $15), you dont have to have the quality of 'dark side of the moon'
-promote the hell out of your show, have all of your friends and family come for your set. this way it shows the promoter you have a draw.
-dont tell him its your first time playing together, if they ask where you have played say private parties, etc. also dont tell them you were an opening act for motley crue
-music is a business and you have to operate it like one, promotion promotion promotion!!!!

above all GOOD LUCK and have fun

Myshadow46_2
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
1)Find a place to practice and organise a regular practice at the same time each week, if possible.

2)I find that if you don't have something original you can work on straight away, deciding on a cover is a good way just to get you all playing together.

3)Don't use practice to write songs. You learn\write your parts at home.

donisthatcool
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
ALright thank you for the information and help guys, we came up with the name As Of Now, and are gunna try to start shows by March. Thanks again, Don

thejester
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
good luck, like the name