Help with solo gigging?

PDA

View Full Version : Help with solo gigging?

Stud_Muffin
01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey guys,

After gigging solo, with just my acoustic, and my voice, for a fair while, I recently realised that I really need to step my game up, in putting on the best performance that I can do.

This includes things like stage presence, crowd interaction and promoting, which all seem a lot harder for an acoustic singer/songwriter, and I wondered if anyone had any specific tips, to help improve my performances?

Thanks in advance,

Bryn

Zeletros
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Stage presence is... a really "personal" thing, it's rather a sum of evrything you do/did on stage, I'd say just do whatever you feel like doing if you're comfortable on stage. It's really hard for me to think at the moment so I can't say anything else...

AthenasGhost
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
just make it memorable, try to get them more into it, and if you cant, even self embarassment can give them a few laughs. lol, maybe move more when you're playing, just remember if you don't have energy in your performance, they wont either. the good vibes you put out are contagious.

Venomtank
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I play both in a few bands, and solo/ acoustically. My advice is to not just stand there, or sit, and strum away. Don't let the microphone steal the show as you are behind it. If you're standing, this is an easier thing to counter. When playing the intro, stand to the side of it, maybe outside the spotlight if you have one. Then as you start singing, step into the light. It will amplify the performance from the start. Whenever you're not singing, step away slightly from the mic, to emphasise that you have a guitar there aswell.

Embarrassment helps as well, if you can handle it. I recently played a gig with a group a few years below me. I'm fairly known round the school as a musician, and they know what to expect when I get up on stage. However, thanks to the introducer who said "Here's a common favourite, with a few unknowns", I had to up the game a bit. So as I went on stage first, and set up the other guitarists amp for him. As the bassist and drummer were getting ready, a few people gave us some cheers. So I went to take my place infront of the mic, to say hi and all, introduce us. When I saw the lead was right infront of the stand. Killing two birds with one stone, I pulled it towards me and hit my head on the mic. It moved the lead out of the way for my solo later on in the show, and made the crowd less tense. With a cheeky little smile, I played the opening to Boulevard Of Broken dreams, and the crowd cheered :)

So, if you can handle it, making yourself look like a fool, do it. It will ease the crowd. Especially if you cna show that you're confident. Just don't be cocky.

Niiko_Xeneize
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Some months ago I went to a festival to see Linkin Park, and one of the other artists I could watch while waiting for them was Alain Johannes, the man was completely alone on the stage and even though most of the audience didn't know his music (I was one of them) he managed to get the attention of everybody, he just stood in front of the mic singing and playing his guitar, between some songs he would say something (a little joke or thanking the people) and that's about it, his incredible talent helped a lot but he didn't need to do anything else.