Bass player issues

PDA

View Full Version : Bass player issues

SkinnyBlaqGuy
01-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Well the bassist in my band is good technique wise, he can play well. But the problem is he has no idea about how to write music in our genre. He doesn't know any music theory, or even scales. Every time he tries to suggest something to put in our songs, it's shit, but I can't tell him that. Basically everyone in the band just outvotes him. I'm the guitarist and I write everything in the band. Music, lyrics, drum parts. The other guys, the drummer and vocalist, are cool with it and are able to tweak them as they see fit. But I don't want our bassist to feel like he doesn't have any say in the matter, but his problem is that he's not able to tweak or make up new things like the other members. What should I do? Kick him out or try and teach him scales and how to write stuff in our genre every practice? The latter option will take forever to do.

Unholy.Daemon
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
i would just say to him, dude learn some theory first, keep practising writing riffs and stuff, you'll get better at it in time

Hail
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Just tell him if he's not happy with it he can write when he knows what he's writing and why it sounds good, which starts with learning his music theory.