Being Active on Stage While Playing Guitar and Singing

PDA

View Full Version : Being Active on Stage While Playing Guitar and Singing

ironmanben
01-10-2011, 12:49 AM
How can I be active on stage while playing guitar and singing? I don't want to just stand there, but I don't have much time that I'm not in front of the mic, and my hands have the guitar so I can't throw stuff into the audience or anything of that sort. What should I do to be active?

Gary.Blizzard
01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Why do you have to be active?

Mahabajaba
01-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Well if you're a singer/guitarist sounds like you're pretty stuck. Depending on how much time you spend with both hands on the guitar you could do the traditional crowd pumping maneuvers and such, but there's not a whole lot you can do. I recommend taking a look at some bands with singer/guitarists and seeing what they do, likely won't be much though.

dullsilver_mike
01-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Uncomfortable, creepy-faced eye contact.

That's my style when doing guitar and singing anyway.

Ethanb08
01-10-2011, 01:10 AM
You could get a wireless headset mic, I've seen Sammy Hagar do that in some old live videos when he was with Van Halen...

Punk_Ninja
01-10-2011, 03:07 AM
When you're not singing do as a guitar player does, when you're not playing guitar do as a singer would do.

It's hard to do anything when tied to the mic, you pretty much have to rely on eye contact and any body movements have to be small and mostly with the feet.
But if you have a moment spare, especially if you ever solo and stuff, you can easily get a bit nuts then.

Joshua1207
01-10-2011, 03:11 AM
Example of what some people do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACFac0IZ1sE

IRISHPUNK01
01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
watch and learn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLMIkd88yb8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pw_TCaEvo&feature=related

look at young joe strummer if you need to learn how to be energetic

Natrone
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Are you the only guitarist in your band? If not, then drop out on some parts, grab the mic, and walk around. If you are the only guitarist, then really all you can do is move around as much as possible when you're not singing and be energetic even when you're at the mic.

Basically, just be into the music and you'll be fine.

krypticguitar87
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
watch live videos of bands with a singer/guitarist (or basist in some cases): Green Day, the Offspring, Trivium, Metalica, Nickleback, Chevele, KISS, Black Lable Society, Mastadon, Blink 182, Megadeth, Deftones etc.... I know not all of them are great but they definately give you some insight as to how to perform with a guitar while singing....

rockingamer2
01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Check out Matt Bellamy of Muse.

Burntout Chump
01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
watch live videos of bands with a singer/guitarist (or basist in some cases): Green Day, the Offspring, Trivium, Metalica, Nickleback, Chevele, KISS, Black Lable Society, Mastadon, Blink 182, Megadeth, Deftones etc.... I know not all of them are great but they definately give you some insight as to how to perform with a guitar while singing....

Green Day is a GREAT example, except for the solos, haha, he's able to really get into it because they have someone else to play the lead so he's not glued to the same spot.

But anyway, I felt the same way as the OP, and I stumbled upon some live Green Day videos, and it helped me a lot, I highly recommend watching Billie Joe.

nouse4aname125
01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
just be sincere man. you wrote this music, its your job to bring out the emotion of the music into your motion.

but foot stomps always work well to get my blood pumping. because a footstomp turns into a head nod, which turns into your full upper body, and so on.