Issues With Bassist

PDA

View Full Version : Issues With Bassist

catastrofx617
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey guys, I play rythym in a Progressive-Thrash band and I could use some help. Our other guitarist and I write all the music for the band, but when we pass it off to our bass player, he tries to put his own spin on things and it ends up sounding awful. For example, in a few of our songs the bass drum hits and the rythym guitar is syncopated (best example I can think of off the top of my head is the verse after the second chorus in "Broken Hands" by Lamb of God), and he uses a slap technique on this and its turning our sound to mush.

We've confronted him about this several times and he continues to do it. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to work out, as his overinflated ego is starting to get in the way of the band's progression. What are your thoughts guys? Talk about it with him or just fire him? From my other friends I've talked to, both inside and out of the band, they think that the latter might be the better option.

Kilty Boxers
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Well it sounds like he is better off in a RHCP cover band.

ilovesyu
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Situations like this need to at least be talked about with one another. If after you talk to him about it it doesn't change, then give him the boot. Sometimes people really need to be told they are holding a group back sometimes it yields great improvements. Look at it this way, whether he changes what he does or if he gets the boot, your gonna sound better. Ego's can really mess stuff up, so if your in a serious band you want to avoid giant ego's because trust me, its like a time bomb. But yea so I'd at least try to talk if nothing changes say goodbye to him. Good luck dude.

catastrofx617
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Ideally, we'd like to keep him around, we use his house for a practice space and he's a good friend of mine. But, when it comes down to it, if his being there is proving more of a hindrance than he's bringing to the table, then giving him the boot seems like the only options. Thanks guys.

theogonia777
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Situations like this need to at least be talked about with one another. If after you talk to him about it it doesn't change, then give him the boot. Sometimes people really need to be told they are holding a group back sometimes it yields great improvements. Look at it this way, whether he changes what he does or if he gets the boot, your gonna sound better. Ego's can really mess stuff up, so if your in a serious band you want to avoid giant ego's because trust me, its like a time bomb. But yea so I'd at least try to talk if nothing changes say goodbye to him. Good luck dude.

this.

Jack Darkley
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm starting to wonder if this is going to work out, as his overinflated ego is starting to get in the way of the band's progression.

A bassist with an ego problem!?! Hahahaha!

OK, seriously it seems a bit mean to fire him over matter of his technique. Present him with an ultimatum and see if he stops. Remind him that he's a part of the band and that every one needs to function as a precise, like-minded unit. Suggest that he play with a pick or turn his distortion up, that way he doesn't sound so "slappy."

Tig-O-bitties
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
This is only my two cents. If he is your freind you need to sit down and talk it over with him. I am not one for "bad" sounding music (That was how lady gaga was born), but I do think that bands should be orignal, something many today are not. My advice to you is let him in on the writing process and I bet that you would find it would add a cool twist to your music. It's not working right now because you guys are writing thrash music, he tries to add in some funky stuff and it turns wrong, if the music if ment to fit that in though.... but on a side note you can look at a few bands were this kind of things flys; The Faceless, Opeth, Devin Townsend. All in All, if you value your freindship don't be a dick, but if he is making your music sound bad talk to him about it, or consider letting him write with you. I might add too that if he has a HUGE ego there is a point were enough is enough, reguardless.

EDIT: A bassist with an ego problem!?!
REALLY?!? I can't belive that for one second..... they would never :eek:

JonChorba
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
this.

+1