accepting new band members

PDA

View Full Version : accepting new band members

baf250
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Hey everyone, I've invited a singer into the band and he accepted our offer. Problem is, we know his face but thats about it. We know what kind of music he likes and thats it.
So it's going to be pretty awkward with him, hanging out with 3 other guys that he doesnt know.

My question is, when you're accepting a new band member that you barely know, what are some ways to get him comfortable with being with us? I hope we can all start on a good note the first practice, so I need some advice.

hydraone
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Crack a beer. Bullshit for a while.

'93
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
in my latest band i only knew 2 of the 4 members...
i just played with them and we made friends. its that easy really.
chat with him and stuff...dont be shy

Myshadow46_2
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
There is one thing you'll all have in common. You like to play music. So get jamming and break the ice that way.

Hail
01-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Go to the mall or movies or whatever you do in your free time and just get comfortable. Or you could just jump into jamming, but I've had too many people ditch to want to jump into having someone in the band without them knowing what's up ahead of time.

Bluesblitz
01-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Be polite and friendly, make him feel welcome, that's all I'd really do.

Natrone
01-12-2011, 03:09 AM
I say get some covers together for you guys to just jam to (can't really have a jam session that involves a singer), and then go get some pizza after practice and get to know each other. Trust me, pizza breaks down any barrier ever when it comes to bands

AlanHB
01-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Wait are you accepting him without an audition? That's just asking for trouble.

Otherwise he's just going to be someone you make music with, not your boyfriend. Just focus on the music at practice and gigs, and whatever you guys do in your own time shouldn't matter.

SlackerBabbath
01-12-2011, 04:59 AM

My immediate thoughts as well, if all you know about him is his face and what music he's into, that's really not enough to qualify him as your singer, you also need to know if he can sing.

As for getting to know someone, just hang out, same way as you'd get to know anyone really.

niels-uiterwaal
01-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Go grab a beer after practice, just chill and talk with him.

baf250
01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
No, that would be stupid. I've heard him sing plenty of times before, we're just not doing a formal audition because we know he can belt it out.

Instead, we're just chilling and writing some music to see if he wants to stick with us, and more importantly, if he fits in with us personality-wise.

EDIT: But I appreciate all the answers, pizza sounds like our icebreaker.

SlackerBabbath
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
No, that would be stupid. I've heard him sing plenty of times before, we're just not doing a formal audition because we know he can belt it out.

Instead, we're just chilling and writing some music to see if he wants to stick with us, and more importantly, if he fits in with us personality-wise.

Yep, that all sounds like you're going about things in the right way, carry on. ;)

Also, nightclubs, pubs, gigs... all of these are good places to hang with the guy to get to know him better, and ideal because they give you a better idea of how he acts in the same enviroment that you will often be working with him in.