Gig without vocalist...

PDA

View Full Version : Gig without vocalist...

hitl
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello. I'm in a Three-piece band (standard line up; Guitar, Bass, Drums). We have our own instrumental songs, but still no vocalist. So here is the Deal...The House of our Bass player burned down a week ago. Horrible thing... He asked me and the Drummer if we would play at a charity gig for the people who lost their homes in the fire accident.
Normally I would say No way man...but it's for the good cause..We got like an half hour of our own material, no vocals writen, the gig is on Jan/31.

I have no idea how the people will react when they see there is actually no one singing. Our Drummer had an idea that a Friend of his could join and do some electronics, samples, keyboard melodies..to it would sound so empty without vocals.

Anyone here got any experience with such a situation?

Guitar_Jester
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah. Go sing by yourself. That's what I did and it was a succes.

benonbass1
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
^ The whole point is that they don't have a vocalist?? :confused:

It depends on your style of music? If it's interesting enough instrumentally you can get away with it, but it still needs some sort of lead melody in it. The electronics sounds like a good idea, if done well it could be great.

hitl
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
The problem is..There are no lyrics, no vocal melodies, only the music. No one of us is good at writing vocal meodies and singing. So i guess se gonna do it instrumental...

Manbag
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I really wouldn't recommend it. Even if it's for charity, unless you are an instrumental band (e.g. The Mahavishnu Orchestra), you're just going to sound like a band without a singer.

Sorry, chap.

theogonia777
01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
^ The whole point is that they don't have a vocalist?? :confused:

It depends on your style of music? If it's interesting enough instrumentally you can get away with it, but it still needs some sort of lead melody in it. The electronics sounds like a good idea, if done well it could be great.

this

Zeletros
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Matters from genre.

soundgarden19
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I played an instrumental set two days ago and it went over really well. I just think as long as it's interesting and not like Green Day covers without vocals it will probably go over well, I mean it is for charity after all.

herby190
01-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Honestly, I might say just find a singer you know, and just do covers; unless you've got a really interesting, original style, and not just power-chords, you might not do so well instrumental-only, but them again, the electronics thing could make a major difference.

krypticguitar87
01-14-2011, 08:42 PM
really all it boils down to is lead stuff.... if everything is rhythm that would be a problem, so throw in lead licks and what not.... also, honestly it's for charity so get out there and have a good time man, don't worry about it being boring, if the show is advertised as "for charity" then most of the people attending, are there to support the charity.

Phil Starr
01-15-2011, 04:39 AM
This is more about the Bass player needing the support of his mates than the gig. Stand by him. The worst that can happen is that you bore the audience for 30 mins. He obviously just wants to help his family and neighbours. Help him as much as you can, sometimes it is about more than just the music.

AlanHB
01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
This is more about the Bass player needing the support of his mates than the gig. Stand by him. The worst that can happen is that you bore the audience for 30 mins. He obviously just wants to help his family and neighbours. Help him as much as you can, sometimes it is about more than just the music.

I completely agree. Usually I would not recommend playing without a singer for a gig, but in this case it doesn't really matter. This is more a charity thing, and the audience will just be happy to see the bass player jamming out with you guys as you jam along.

I'd take this opportunity too to have a shot at singing, it's one of those rare occasions where you're allowed to take chances and you definately won't be criticised if you fail.

SlackerBabbath
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM

I completely agree. Usually I would not recommend playing without a singer for a gig, but in this case it doesn't really matter. This is more a charity thing, and the audience will just be happy to see the bass player jamming out with you guys as you jam along.

I'd take this opportunity too to have a shot at singing, it's one of those rare occasions where you're allowed to take chances and you definately won't be criticised if you fail.

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Well said, both of you.

It's unfortunate that the band won't be at full strength for this gig, but considering the event and it's meaning to your bassist, it really won't matter.

Use it as a learning experience

kyle62
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I would never recommend it but due to unusual circumstances there's no harm in doing it.

Since it's a charity gig, just do a short (15 minute at most) instrumental set (hope you guys are soilid musicians...) and explain to the audience that your singer couldn't make it but you wanted to come anyway just to show your support and do something to help.

Focus on groove and simple riffs rather than soloing etc, try and put on a stage show, and you should keep people interested!