Should we sell merch?

PDA

View Full Version : Should we sell merch?

Punkrokkboi
01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey, my band has a small string of gigs coming up this month, and we were debating whether or not to sell merch at the show. We have played one previous gig, and on our ReverbNation account (www.reverbnation.com/thefringeofficial) we have some merch (basicly just our EP, mp3s, and two different teeshirts). All the gigs we'd be selling at have other well known bands playing, so we thought we might be able to sell some stuff. The only problem is, obviously we dont want to order the merch in bulk if we're just gunna not sell anything.

So I guess what my question is: Is it a good idea to sell merch at your 2nd-4th gig? Even with one of the gigs having a designated merch table right next to the bigger name bands merch?

Thanks,

Daniel

duhpunk
01-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Depends on your budget. My band has only played a few shows. I ordered 50 shirts for $225 from thet-shirtland.com Sell them for $8 apiece, and boom. Who doesnt like a cheap new t-shirt? You would only need to sell about half of them to break even.

Natrone
01-12-2011, 01:57 AM
1" buttons man. You can get massive quantities of them for almost nothing and turn a HUGE profit. Sell them for $1 each and you'll break even on the first night. They're a great way to get your name out there and pretty much sell themselves.

Punkrokkboi
01-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Oh damn I didnt even think about the buttons... and maybe stickers as well?
Natrone: Where did you order the buttons?

ProphetToJables
01-12-2011, 02:50 AM
In my experience a sticker won't hold up very well in a gag :/ I would go with buttons.

lockwolf
01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Always have some sort of merch. No matter what, someone there will be your "biggest fan" and want something to remember the show by. Shirts are always good (if they're reasonably priced), CDs are great and buttons are fun. Also look into maybe doing posters and offering to sign them (you're never too unknown to autograph something). Stickers are great but those I'd hand out for free.

Natrone
01-12-2011, 03:00 AM
http://www.meshedcreations.com/buttonpricing.html

They're not super ridiculous high quality buttons like a touring band would have (image wise), but they're not far off enough that anyone will notice. You won't find button prices like this anywhere else but with this guy either.

Some pictures I took of them for my band's facebook. Excuse my poor photography :haha
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27655&id=145135622192507

Punkrokkboi
01-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Wow those are amazing prices! Anyone know a website with good -tshirts prices? ReverbNation isnt great for ordering bulk :/

kyle62
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
So I guess what my question is: Is it a good idea to sell merch at your 2nd-4th gig?

No offence, but who the hell buys merch for a band that unknown and inexperienced?
You're probably not going to be good enough yet for anyone other than mates and family to buy it for a laugh, and even then it'd have to be cheap.

duhpunk
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow those are amazing prices! Anyone know a website with good -tshirts prices? ReverbNation isnt great for ordering bulk :/

refer to my other post ^^^^

by far the cheapest i have found

Archer18
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
No offence, but who the hell buys merch for a band that unknown and inexperienced?
You're probably not going to be good enough yet for anyone other than mates and family to buy it for a laugh, and even then it'd have to be cheap.

I agree with this. I think it would be best to get a good fanbase then start selling merch, this will ensure that you won't waste a lot of your money.

Quintex
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
You are better off handing out free band swag at this point, buttons would be good.

Stickers are not good since they generally wind up pasted all over the venue by the end of the night and that will pretty much end your relationship with the promoter and venue operator.

AlanHB
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM

I completely agree. If you're really keen I'd put the money towards some studio time instead.

Zycho
01-13-2011, 01:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with buying some shirts or buttons early on. If someone really digs you they'll buy it, if not who cares? It's not like the merch is going to rot away, you'll be able to sell it eventually.

kyle62
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I completely agree. If you're really keen I'd put the money towards some studio time instead.
Good shout!

Punkrokkboi
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
You all have really great comments. Thanks, I think we'll be ordering 50 buttons (possible selling at 0.50 or $1 each) then later on a few t-shirts (right now we can't afford anything more than about $50)...

We also have business cards already printed, how should we go about handing them out at the show? Toss em? or have them at our merch table? Both?

Punk_Ninja
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
With business cards you should really hand 'em out.
Like, to anyone who seems particularly interested in you. Throwing them to the audience or whatever is pointless as they'll get scattered o the floor, or put in a pocket, and forgotten.

Give them to people interested in your details and stuff.

Punkrokkboi
01-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Ok cool thats what we've been doing (handing them out to people)^^

HoppusFanboy
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
My band just ordered wristbands. They ended up being about $1.45 per band and we can sell em easy for $3-5. Its a bit more unique, last longer than stickers and cheaper than t-shirts. Seemed like a good starting off point.

Punk_Ninja
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Though that isn't exactly cost effective!
$1.45 per band for 100 bands comes to nearly $150. Is it worth it?

Just getting some little 1" or something buttons you can end up getting like 100 for 30 (not sure in america) which would proabably sell for about 50p per button, making you 50 back quickly. While the wristbands may get a higher profit, the buttons make it faster as people are more willing to spend shard of change that a few dollars/pounds for something small, so then you can buy more and have a bit of a profit sooner, then the cycle goes on!

Also the case with buttons is it's no real loss if you don't sell 'em too well. In some cases they can be considered cheap enough just to give away.

Punkrokkboi
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
The buttons were a great idea, thanks for the suggestion! The guy was hella customer freindly, and the buttons are nice looking and cheap enough to the point that if we sell them at $1.00 we'll be making a nice profit, but also getting our name out there more. So yeah meshedcreations.com is the best for buttons.

ascend
01-22-2011, 02:13 AM
If you have an EP, have some copies available for sale. I'd imagine if people have never heard of you, they're more likely to buy your EP at your show than be able to remember your name the next day to buy it online. So better to have some available for impulse buyers. :)

Natrone
01-22-2011, 03:14 AM
The buttons were a great idea, thanks for the suggestion! The guy was hella customer freindly, and the buttons are nice looking and cheap enough to the point that if we sell them at $1.00 we'll be making a nice profit, but also getting our name out there more. So yeah meshedcreations.com is the best for buttons.
You're very welcome bro. Good luck to you and your band!

Punkrokkboi
01-22-2011, 03:42 AM
If you have an EP, have some copies available for sale. I'd imagine if people have never heard of you, they're more likely to buy your EP at your show than be able to remember your name the next day to buy it online. So better to have some available for impulse buyers. :)

We're thinking about selling our EP, but we only want like 15 copies and we need it before the 28th cuz the gig is that night. Should we just burn 15 copies at home? Or order them? :confused:

'93
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
only 15 copies?

how many people would be at the gig?

Punkrokkboi
01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
only 15 copies?

how many people would be at the gig?

We actually got 20 copies, and probably maybe... 100 people? We also have 50 buttons,, I didt want to get to many and not sell anything cuz this is our first time selling merch. If i knew they'd sell, I'd get Tshirts too. But I'm not sure.