I was looking for a band when

PDA

View Full Version : I was looking for a band when

Zeletros
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I started to look for a band, or rather making my own, but all the people that seem to contact me, make point of playing in 2-3 bands at the same time. I can't really understand that, as I'm really devoted to what I do and I'd never do something like that, is that okay? Cause many things in me deny and don't like this

rocker222
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
as long as you know your stuff i think whoring yourself around to different bands is fine. just make sure that band schedules don't conflict with each other. like if you have to be at both band practices at the same time.

soupdragon
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
i was looking for a band and then i found a band

Zeletros
01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I dunno, seems to me like dating 2+ girls at the same time :shrug:

davis_kiel
01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
It's a good thing (for yourself) to be in multiple bands. You learn so many different thing from playing with others. However, I do understand your devotion, as being in more than one band costs a lot of time and effort. I would still say that multiple bands is best for your playing skills.

guitarninjaruy
01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
How many bands you play in doesn't affect how devoted you are to music. Just find people that share the same amount of passion for it as you do.

Zeletros
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I wanna make a band not for making my skills "leet" but to make awesome music and enjoying it.

travislausch
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I feel much the same way, but it's mostly because a lot of these people don't really know how to manage their time.

KoRnOnA6String
01-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Seeing as how this is coming from, and I quote, "UG's Supreme Troll" I'll just ignore some of your posts ;)

Anyway, I felt awkward about it at first as well, but now I've got 5 different projects going.

If making awesome music and enjoying it is what you want to do, then why restrict yourself to only one band unless you don't have enough time?

Making your skills "leet" through having several bands is not just upping your technicality. It's to do with improving your ear, improving your feel for music, improving your range of styles. All this really only improves your ability to make awesome music, y'know.

EDIT: I am all for monogamy, not that it matters much, eh?

Ace-014
01-13-2011, 01:45 AM
I dunno, seems to me like dating 2+ girls at the same time :shrug:
Wrong. Too many bands get this mentality and when someone in a band wants to join another band on the side or even start a solo project, they're "cheating" on the band. This leads to band dispute and ect. If you're going to go with that thought process in the music industry, quit now.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with doing multiple bands at once. You have a better grasp of the scene, a better chance to make connections, twice as many gigs/moneys (even makes it easier to set up a 2 gig show), and it can be a great way to explore/play other genres you like that your band doesn't play. As long as you know how to manage your time you're fine. And honestly if you're "devoted to what you do" you might go out of your way to be in another band you like to get more of a taste of the music scene.

Currently I'm in two full bands, and a two man side project, and most (if not all) of the guys I'm working with in all of those are or have been in two or more bands at some points in time.

AlanHB
01-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Being in multiple bands is just like having multiple jobs. You don't get fired from Maccas because you work at the Supermarket during the day. As long as your obligations to one don't affect the other it's all good.

However, if you're not very good at organising your time it's probably better just to stick to one band. Last year I was in 4.

axemanchris
01-15-2011, 11:57 PM
What if someone spent their time outside of the band in a Star Trek club for a few hours a week? Would you have a problem with that? Why should spending a few hours a week with another band be a problem, aside from ensuring that priorities are agreed upon and you are conscientious to not double-book yourself?

CT

SlackerBabbath
01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
It's actualy advantagious to bands to have members in other bands.

Firstly, it makes you part of a bigger musical community which is always useful. For instance, quite a few times my band have had a gig to play and the PA system has gone down, disaster!!!, but when the guitarist can simply make a quick phone call to someone in the other band that he plays for and borrow that band's PA system, it isn't really much of a problem. Same thing has happened with transport too, only we used the van belonging to the bassist's other band that time.
We've also had the guitarist from the drummer's other band working the mixing desk for us

Secondly, playing with lots of different people and soaking up all their influences makes you a better musician, and having better musicians is obviously an advantage to the band.

As Chris just said, providing you ensure that priorities are agreed upon and you are conscientious to not double-book yourself, it's OK to do.

I only really see this kind of 'band member jealousy' in young bands, but very rarely hear of it in older bands.
Is it something that we grow out of? Is it something that disappears with experience? I think it probably is, so if that's the case, maybe younger musicians should be taking the example of older musicians and not let it bother them.