Musical Conflicts within the band

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Conflicts within the band

kaos572
01-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Hi, I just started a new band and weve come to a problem. We just got everyone we need for gigging and so forth but the drummer is very stubborn as to his drum parts. The parts he comes up with are very metalcore-ish influenced and when we say what we wanted there (because most of the songs were written before he was in the band), he either says he doesnt want that there or he just cant do it even though ive seen him to do more difficult things before.

Im very devoted to the band but i think that our drummer will slow us down. I can play the style pretty well on drums and come up with good parts, but the problem with me switching to drums is that im a better guitarist than drummer and there isnt much people that are better than me at guitar in the local area (atleast who play the same style) as well as the fact that the music is built around 2 guitars, along with the fact there are NO drummer around (Small Town).

Please help me out a bit. Thanks

guy_tebache
01-13-2011, 05:55 AM
Seems to me you've either gotta suck it up and let the dude drum how he wants to drum or suck it up and drum it yourself. That or give him shit about it until he cracks.

In any case, I'd say you'll be doing some sucking :D

blue_strat
01-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Fusion.

krypticguitar87
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
two things, you can try to just incorporate his style into your own, or you can kick him and do it yourself.... just cuz the music uses two guitarists doesn't mean you need two guitarists live....

herby190
01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Just have the entire band flat-out tell him his style doesn't match. Don't be a dick about it, but make it clear that he has to change.

SlackerBabbath
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Fusion.

This.

The drummer has his style of playing, just like you. How would you feel if he started telling you how he wants you to play?

Just get on with it, jam, develop the songs naturaly. Rather than trying to conform to a particular sound, use what you have to make a new sound.

Ace-014
01-16-2011, 03:20 AM
This.

The drummer has his style of playing, just like you. How would you feel if he started telling you how he wants you to play?

To be fair, if it's the rest of the band versus him, he should make an effort to change his style. Especially for the previously written songs. Everyone likes to play what they like to play, but tough luck sometimes. I wouldn't join a hard rock band with the intent to play pop-punk or ska the entire time. If you want the musical authority to decide what style of music is played, start your own band with like-minded individuals. Otherwise, when the majority says the style isn't working, it's time to change it up.

NewsoftheWorld
01-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Although there is a certain part in place, I would ask how the rest of the band feels about him introducing his new parts into the music.

If they are ok with it then go with it. If not, then try asking the drummer play parts closer to the original style for those songs only and let him do his thing for any new songs.

SlackerBabbath
01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
To be fair, if it's the rest of the band versus him, he should make an effort to change his style.
To be fair, if his style isn't suitable to the rest of the band's style, and if they are unwilling to bend on this, maybe they shouldn't have made him a member in the first place.
After all, isn't it unfare to accept a person for their drumming ability then reject them for what that ability entails?

oneblackened
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
You're in a death metal band, right? Most metalcore beats are stolen straight from thrash and death metal, so you should be fine.

Carndawgy
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
the ole small town situations eh.. competition is a good thing, its too bad there weren't more drummers in your area. chances you wouldnt have to give em the boot, he'd likely more willing to alter his ideas a little if he knew that he wasnt the only dude around