Maybe too early to think about this, but...what are we supposed to do in the summer?

PDA

View Full Version : Maybe too early to think about this, but...what are we supposed to do in the summer?

Supafly1824
01-13-2011, 06:57 AM
So my newly founded band is off to a phenomenal start. We're tightening up our setlist and recently booked studio time. Once we get our bassist the photoshoots/music videos will commence. All that good stuff. We bought all our gigging gear and are excited for this band. Especially because at our school, which is in Hartford CT, there are really no legit bands around. We have super special high hopes of winning the battle of the bands at the end of March. Last year the winner opened up for Snoop Dogg at our spring weekend concert. We plan to come out big.

So, what's the problem exactly? I know its impossible to predict the future...but what if all goes well the next 3 and a half months. What happens with that huge time block from the end of May till September? I don't want to completely fall off the map for four whole months.

I live in NYC, while the other guitarist/vocalist live in CT. The drummer is a graduating senior and remains unsure of his future. Which can be staying in CT, moving to NYC, or going back to the west coast. Though chances are we lose him.

I'm worried that once we come out, in the event that we are liked and relatively successful, that over the summer and those 3-4 months we would just completely be forgotten about.

Any of you guys been in this situation? I've thought about two possible solution, the first of which might be a little crazy but might work

1. Take the other guitarist/vocalist to live in NYC for the summer with me. As we are the main song writers and all freshmen...so will be in the band for a longass time (I hope). We can get jobs and work on music all summer while playing shows. I know a lot of excellent drummers who would fill in, especially because all the material would be written by then and none of it is really hard to play. I also know bassists who would fill in.
My other guitarist/backup vocalist is down for this idea. I haven't discussed it with the vocalist, however. If she doesn't want to, then this idea fails.

2. Hit the recording studio hard before the end of the semester and have at least 2 tracks to release over the summer. Possible film an extra music video and release it in the middle of the summer. Just have content to keep us relevant even though we wouldn't be playing shows.

3. Possibly play only weekend shows, and practice hard those Thursday/Friday nights/Saturdays and sundays before shows? It's a 2 hour commute though...this is pretty expensive considering gas and very, very taxing to the band I would think. Plus for Friday shows could mean calling in a couple of sick days so we can practice.

Advice? Of course this is a very hard thing to predict at the moment, but it is concerning so I figured I'd start thinking about it now and planning it out.

Cheers :)

Windwaker
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Since you are a relatively new band, I would suggest taking no longer than about a month and a half off without playing any shows. I'm not going to suggest a plan of action for you, but I would recommend doing whatever will maintain the MOST forward momentum for your band during this time. A few very well marketed shows as well as new songs could really help you out in my opinion.

Ace-014
01-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Option 1 if you can accomplish it. Combination of option 2 and 3 if you can't. Get some good stuff out there to keep yourselves floating while you get ready for a slow period. Then, during the summer practice once a week if possible or once every two weeks. Then have a gig every 3 weeks, reduce the travel time by a lot. This way you guys do something other than sit around with your thumbs in your ass for the whole summer, but still have some legit material out since you guys will have to slow down by the nature of your situation.

But, like I said, Option 1 if you can help it. It's shame that the time for slowness for you guys is the freaking summer. That's the season to be getting out there and rocking your balls (or ovaries) off, especially since you guys are in highschool and most of your potential fanbase will have all the free time in the world to check you out. But, gotta make the best of a bad situation.

AlanHB
01-15-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't exactly see how you're off to an awesome start, you haven't played any gigs and therefore have no fans.

What comes in the summer when people are going to leave? Easy. Replace them or find a new band. This one would only take 6 months of effort in total so it's no biggy to lose.

nouse4aname125
01-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't exactly see how you're off to an awesome start, you haven't played any gigs and therefore have no fans.

This.

I mean don't get me wrong, its great to have such ambition. but you have to be realistic.

But back to the question at hand. If you want it that bad, you'll find a way to commute that much every week. I used to do percussion groups in Sacramento which is 3+ hours away from me. i would drive up there every weekend for 5-6 months. i didnt get paid(i actually had to pay them tuition), i lost my gf in the process. and i risked losing my job.

but thats how bad i wanted it. I have that same mentality with the band i have now (luckily, we all live within 10 minutes of the practice space :P ). but anywho, like Windwaker said, choose whatever will give you the most momentum. Change line-ups. Live together. whatever it takes. because if you are that positive about your potential success, then you're gonna have to lay your cards down on the table.