interesting trio idea

PDA

View Full Version : interesting trio idea

azianmusician19
01-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I was just wondering if this could actually work...

A trio with a guitar, a drummer, and a piano replacing the bass... any thoughts on this? We'd be playing some alt rock, blues, and I guess whatever we feel like playing. So thoughts?

guitaruboy
01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
the doors did without a bass player

Zeletros
01-16-2011, 02:31 PM
How bout just a piano, not "a piano replacing the bass"

Shadow777
01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
If the piano player plays some lower octaves or single notes along with the melody/chord progression then it would work fine.

sfedf1
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
How about you get rid of the guitar instead of the bass :P no but yh I had this kind of concept except no drums just bass, piano and acoustic guitar... dunno it could work, would be good if you don't have a bass player at hand.

Wolffgang
01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
You'll still lose a lot of the fullness of your sound; sure the the notes are technically the same, but they sure as hell don't feel the same. Sure the doors did it, but mostly with an organ, which is a bit different, and they very frequently used session players in the studio and live.

That said, I'm biased against things that do things differently just for the sake of it, seems pretentious.

strat0blaster
01-16-2011, 03:15 PM
If you can

A) Physically do it
and
B) Like how it sounds

then you can do anything musically.

Take a shot at it and see what you think.

Personally as a bassist as well as a guitarist, and just a musician, my preference is that most things sound awful without bass, but I also can't stand bass lines that simply mock the guitarist's root notes, so it's a catch 22 of sorts. To each their own. See what you think of it once you've done it.

Punk_Ninja
01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
How about a quartet with a bassist too? ;) :p:

But seriously, give the idea a shot. There's never anything stating that you have to have a bassist in every possible band.

You'd have to make it work, which would bring about an interesting sound.

Joshua1207
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs do something similar and replace the guitar with a keyboard in some songs IIRC, although guitar =/= bass, I'm sure it could work.

AlanHB
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
How about you switch to bass? That would solve all the issues.

Otherwise, just listen to the music, and if you think a bass is still needed, switch to bass.

Or find a bass player.

azianmusician19
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice/thoughts! It's more that most people at my school don't play bass, and the couple of people that do play punk (nothing wrong with punk, it's just not what I'm going for.) Also, most people (besides the people I had in mind) aren't super dedicated/into music like I am. So that would be the dilemma. Again, thanks for the advice/thoughts!

the_perdestrian
01-16-2011, 09:35 PM
How about you get rid of the guitar instead of the bass :P
\
my band is really considering doing this with a 6 string bass, keyboard and drums.

AlanHB
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice/thoughts! It's more that most people at my school don't play bass, and the couple of people that do play punk (nothing wrong with punk, it's just not what I'm going for.) Also, most people (besides the people I had in mind) aren't super dedicated/into music like I am. So that would be the dilemma. Again, thanks for the advice/thoughts!

Just sounds like a whole bunch of excuses to me. How would you know what they sound like if you haven't auditioned them, or even asked? They may like whatever you think your non-existent band might sound like.

Mephysteaux
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Whenever I hear piano jazz, it's usually piano, bass and drums. I think that formula can be applied to other genres of music. I think if you were to go piano, guitar and drums, though, I feel like the piano and guitar would be competing too much for the lead, even if you were playing lower octaves on the piano, unless you really dumbed it down.

SlackerBabbath
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I was just wondering if this could actually work...

A trio with a guitar, a drummer, and a piano replacing the bass... any thoughts on this? We'd be playing some alt rock, blues, and I guess whatever we feel like playing. So thoughts?

It should work, considering that it's nothing new, before electric amplification became readily available, lots of bands had piano players but no bassists because no one could hear a double bass being plucked over the sound of the rest of the band anyway, and pianists often played loud backing bass lines to make up for the lack of bass.

Thereisnotry
01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I say go for it. If you have a good keyboardist he can act as your bassist and as a lead player simultaneously, thus thickening your sound without the need for additional members.

Redstar5wp
01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
get a friend who'd like to join but doesn't play to buy a bass and learn it- I've done that twice now and they've both loved it- the prospect of playing in a band is a real motivation to learn and bass doesn't take too long to pick up.

Natrone
01-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Can be done. Has been done. There's a fantastic band called Barcelona that I saw open up for Relient K that had that setup for an alt/indie rock sound. They were fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdooegZrbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVixhwyj_c&feature=fvst