Music Scene in your city?

PDA

View Full Version : Music Scene in your city?

guns_rosesldb
01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
The other night I met a guy with a small indie label out of Florida, and he was telling me that St. Louis (the main city near where Im from) is one of the hardest cities in which to build a band due to the fact that every concert venue is all about the crowd you can bring (which is definitely true about STL). My question is, is this how basically all cities are? Where you have to basically sell tickets for $5-10, in our case, have your fans drive 45 minutes out to the venue (we are from a country town in the middle of nowhere), watch several bands-ranging from horrible to great, and then see the one band they came to see for half an hour.
Now I'm not trying to bash St. Louis or start a flame war saying Im trying to find an easy way out, and this may be a completely dumb question, but its something I've always wondered as I am not familiar with the music scene in any other cities.

Switcheffect525
01-17-2011, 12:04 AM
I live in Baltimore Maryland. The music scene around here is Screamo/hard-core bands. And indie artsy stuff. Neither of which my band plays. But we do fine selling tickets to shows cause our friends are pretty awesome and support the hell outta us.

Edit: Actually now that i think about it Baltimore has a very diverse music scene. There's screamo, indie, pop-punk, metal, rock, and dubstep bands galore. Most venues don't really care what type of music is playing they just care about the money.

sooperduper19
01-17-2011, 12:11 AM
fairbanks ak, theres no option of getting people from other cities. theres only probably 75 ppeople total who see shows. because theres about... one good band around here. the scene sucks

And metal is the only choice.

Rocknroller1090
01-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Detroit, Michigan: Hardcore or Acoustic. Nothing in between. And then there's rap, but theres not much of a scene with it.

TheEmoStrangler
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
detroit has a very diverse scene if you know where to look for it, i have alot of friends in bands ranging from electro to death metal there is always a show going on somewhere. after you are playing for awhile its super easy to get a gig i can think of prob. 12 venues off the top of my head that have bards playing every night of the week,

rushpython
01-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I live in Baltimore Maryland. The music scene around here is Screamo/hard-core bands. And indie artsy stuff. Neither of which my band plays. But we do fine selling tickets to shows cause our friends are pretty awesome and support the hell outta us.

Edit: Actually now that i think about it Baltimore has a very diverse music scene. There's screamo, indie, pop-punk, metal, rock, and dubstep bands galore. Most venues don't really care what type of music is playing they just care about the money.

then you get shot, becuse you live in baltimore.

also i live in a tiny town about 45 minutes from baltimore... music is dead here.

Switcheffect525
01-17-2011, 12:26 AM
then you get shot, becuse you live in baltimore.

also i live in a tiny town about 45 minutes from baltimore... music is dead here.

Lol that's downtown Baltimore. =p

TheEmoStrangler
01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Detroit, Michigan: Hardcore or Acoustic. Nothing in between. And then there's rap, but theres not much of a scene with it.

you have not been in the music scene long if that is what you think, or your really young and you'll learn eventually

z4twenny
01-17-2011, 12:30 AM
i just checked craigslist, its mostly wanna be rappers needing producers, country musicians needing work and metal bands needing vocalists and bassists.

swarley
01-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Well I would think almost anywhere it's about the crowds. I have seen some good local bands in St. Louis the few times I've been to shows there though.

NEScore
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
here in boise idaho there is all hardcore bands, technical metal, thrashy metal, indie, jazz (mostly in bars and stuff though)

were all co-exist very well. the scene is made of people from all the neighboring citys and rural areas and ALOT of people from the east side of oregan. basically everyone in a band knows eachother. and ever now and then when really big bands come through town some wieard emo kids, old metal head guys come out of there hiding spots.

the whole idea is make friends with all the other bands so you have connections. talk to people you see at all the shows.

even with all the stupid drama of this area between bands we all deep down get along. that is why i love it here.

Punkrokkboi
01-17-2011, 01:02 AM
fairbanks ak, theres no option of getting people from other cities. theres only probably 75 ppeople total who see shows. because theres about... one good band around here. the scene sucks

And metal is the only choice.

Dude I live in Anchorage AK and I feel your pain. We have it a little better, but this screamo shit seems to be the only bands that get big out of Alaska (36 Crazyfists, Witness the End, ect.).

sooperduper19
01-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Dude I live in Anchorage AK and I feel your pain. We have it a little better, but this screamo shit seems to be the only bands that get big out of Alaska (36 Crazyfists, Witness the End, ect.).

hell i'm even jelous that you're in anchorage. Metal dominates here and i like metal but most people don't so our scene is pretty lame. the shows do better when bands from anchorage come, but even then it's just.. eh. even the HUGE shows up here are like... 10 years out of the mainstream and not making good music anymore. Like everclear. that was a joke.

Zycho
01-17-2011, 01:25 AM
There are good venues everywhere, you just have to find them.

LightxGrenade
01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Not saying that NYC is the best but the diversity here is great. Rap, hip-hop, punk, metal, hardcore, post-hardcore genres, "indie", electronic...none of these things is out of place and has a healthy fan base around here.
It's also a great home base considering that you can hit up the whole tri-county area (5 boroughs of NY, New Jersey, Connecticut) while still being able to hit up other major cities out of that area like Philidelphia, Boston, Providence, Baltimore, Washington DC...
The only problem is the cost of living is pretty f-ing ridiculous.

Punkrokkboi
01-17-2011, 01:35 AM
hell i'm even jelous that you're in anchorage. Metal dominates here and i like metal but most people don't so our scene is pretty lame. the shows do better when bands from anchorage come, but even then it's just.. eh. even the HUGE shows up here are like... 10 years out of the mainstream and not making good music anymore. Like everclear. that was a joke.

I didn't even go see everclear. All the good bands stopped coming up around 2001 when Ozzy was in Anchorage. I dunno if he stopped in Fairbanks though. Seems like your scene definitely struggles though.

sooperduper19
01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I didn't even go see everclear. All the good bands stopped coming up around 2001 when Ozzy was in Anchorage. I dunno if he stopped in Fairbanks though. Seems like your scene definitely struggles though.

well megadeth came up in 07 or 08 (and i love megadeth) but lets be realistic. theyre kinda out of date these days too. ak scene just sucks. the closest town to invite people from is 440 miles away.

fireblast13
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Pittsburgh isn't great... Pay-to-play for most gigs (either straightforward or sell tickets, they take a cut). The original music scene is pretty good, but there are too many cover bands taking up gigs...

kraftmacaroni
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
detroit has a very diverse scene if you know where to look for it, i have alot of friends in bands ranging from electro to death metal there is always a show going on somewhere. after you are playing for awhile its super easy to get a gig i can think of prob. 12 venues off the top of my head that have bards playing every night of the week,

I live in Detroit, I'd be very interested in knowing about some of these places.

kangaxxter
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Chicago (where I'm orginally from) was very, very Blues and Rhythm & Blues oriented. Down in the South Side it is all rappers though (seriously, only rap). We had a pretty good punk scene back in the early 2000s, but it's sort of gone down hill. The punk scene up near Wisconsin's pretty good, but not a lot of venues up there. Oh, and in the Northern and Western Suburbs you can't shake your dick without smacking into metal/progressive instrumental band. It's too bad most of them suck, though; I mean technical skill only gets you so far, you got to have some sort of stage presence and energy, not just stand there a sweep pick for 45 minutes.

Also, you can catch a acoustic folk singer/duo like every night somewhere, if you're into that. I don't like them though, just the same five chords and the same three Dylan covers over and over and over again(I swear to god if I ever hear Desolation Row again I'll bust a nut).

I'm now in Salt Lake City, and it's pretty good. There's a crazy awesome punk/ska scene in out in west Salt Lake, but it's overrun by Straight-edges and Skinheads, so it's kind of awkward (Gang-fights anyone?). There's also a pretty big hip-hop scene but I don't really pay attention to it.

HalfDose
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
I've lived in Las Vegas for 5 years. There are curently 2.3 million people and 1.87 million bands. In the interest of being serious, I'll round that down to about 500 bands.

There are also about 120 venues, all bars, that host what we consider "local shows". These occur 4-7 nights a week per venue. They typically are No Cover of no more than $5.

All ages shows aren't much better. There are about 8 venues, they are all expensive to rent out and typically require each band to sell 20-50 tickets at $10-$20 each. I am almost 30 and while kids like my band when they see us, our contemporary friends will not pay that much to come be surrounded by teens in a place where they can't drink (legally).

ALL OF THE VENUES are either locked down by a "promoter" or managed by a venue employee who often knows NOTHING about music, shows, people or providing refreshments to taste.

Vegas is not a terrible place for shows, but the room for improvement is obvious and the defused scene and sheer number of bands, venues and people makes it VERY difficult to correct.

Can we get NORTH EAST people to comment?
Philly, NJ, Boston, VT and such.
That's where I grew up and learned about music and they were great places 7-10 years ago.

Cowless
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Is there anywhere in the country where you can play hard rock and heavy metal and make it? Nobody has really mentioned any yet.

kangaxxter
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Is there anywhere in the country where you can play hard rock and heavy metal and make it? Nobody has really mentioned any yet.

To be honest, they're sort of 'dead' genres in the US. I'm sure they could make it in LA or California, but honestly, so could any band with a pretty-boy frontman (*cough* Jonas Brothers *cough*).

All the good hard rock has been outsourced to Australia. Seriously.

ChangeOfIdeas
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I live in Northern Illinois (Not Chicago, there is a big difference) and its pretty dead to be honest. A lot of 16-17 year olds trying to start hardcore bands and failing after their first few shows... good thing to cause most of the are terrible. An hour or so went into Iowa things are pretty interesting, a lot of diversity, punk bands, metal bands, rap groups and so on. Still pretty slow though, only a few venues out there. The mid-west has some of the best AND worst bands I have ever heard.

Ramblin'_Man
01-17-2011, 07:47 PM
I live in Northern Illinois (Not Chicago, there is a big difference) and its pretty dead to be honest. A lot of 16-17 year olds trying to start hardcore bands and failing after their first few shows... good thing to cause most of the are terrible. An hour or so went into Iowa things are pretty interesting, a lot of diversity, punk bands, metal bands, rap groups and so on. Still pretty slow though, only a few venues out there. The mid-west has some of the best AND worst bands I have ever heard.

Yeah, I live in the NW burbs of Chicago, and this is true. I feel like there's a solid jam band scene around here too. But in the city there is everything. I'm trying to get a reggae/funk/hip-hop group together, and (in the burbs) I'm definitely having trouble finding likeminded musicians.

Cowless
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
To be honest, they're sort of 'dead' genres in the US. I'm sure they could make it in LA or California, but honestly, so could any band with a pretty-boy frontman (*cough* Jonas Brothers *cough*).

All the good hard rock has been outsourced to Australia. Seriously.

I figured as much. The only "classic" hard rock bands I can think of that made it recently are The Darkness, Wolfmother, Airbourne, and Steel Panther. Only 2 of those are American, and Steel Panther is made up of guys who already made it.

Which really sucks for me, because I'm trying out for a hard rock band pretty soon. Kinda bums me out that we may not see any success in Kansas City, because it's not like we could move anytime soon.

Zycho
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I seriously can't stand when people complain about their scene or the lack of this or that genre. If your band is good and you put in the effort of finding where you need to be playing, good things will happen. I've seen so many great bands call it quits because they were too lazy to go out and figure out where the scene actually was. Go to shows. Get involved. Make connections.

kangaxxter
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I seriously can't stand when people complain about their scene or the lack of this or that genre. If your band is good and you put in the effort of finding where you need to be playing, good things will happen. I've seen so many great bands call it quits because they were too lazy to go out and figure out where the scene actually was. Go to shows. Get involved. Make connections.

Sometimes it isn't the band's fault. To make it you need an audience and fans, both of which are pulled from the "scene". If you have a strong scene for your genre of music nearby than it'll be easier to build a fanbase and an audience. But sometimes it just doesn't work. It's like trying to start a ska band in a town full of metal-heads, the audience just isn't there. And if the audience isn't there, well, you can only perform in front of so many empty rooms before calling it quits.

Cowless
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM

I didn't say I wasn't gonna try, and I sure as hell won't be giving up any time soon! Or maybe you weren't talking to me. Either way. :peace:

HalfDose
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Sometimes it isn't the band's fault. To make it you need an audience and fans, both of which are pulled from the "scene". If you have a strong scene for your genre of music nearby than it'll be easier to build a fanbase and an audience. But sometimes it just doesn't work. It's like trying to start a ska band in a town full of metal-heads, the audience just isn't there. And if the audience isn't there, well, you can only perform in front of so many empty rooms before calling it quits.

Yes! The best band in the world could have a hard time getting a show in the next state or traveling a bit, because they have no local scene to lend them credibility. Booking agents, tour manager, indie labels and even casual browsers like us who look for bands online, often pay attention to established, albeit low, popularity of an unsigned, unreleased band.

Pathetic to say, but If my band was formed in 1994 and lived in Central Cali or NJ/NY we'd have been huge. You can't pick your place and time, just do the best you can.

I'd also like to mention that the internet, myspace and others have ruined what we used to call "scene", but I'm too tired to word out my argument for that ;)

TMVATDI
01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
here in folsom, ca, there are a lotta places with free shows and crap where its kinda first come first serve, they know you'll bring friends to watch and the establishment will gain a good reputation, then there are some bigger places with paying gigs in cities nearby like sacramento and maybe elk grove and there's the boardwalk in orangeville and a lotta places to play in santa cruz, i know cuz my brother lives down there now, he's playing at all these venues like moe's alley and the catalyst and i hear its pretty sick. once a band has played enough in folsom they tend to go to these places, kinda travel around the area or the state.

we've got a LOT of pop-punk/alternative bands around here, maybe 2 or 3 of those r good. mostly they're just generic kids sounding like they're favorite band, xerox copies ya know. then we've got a huge amount of nu-metalcore/emo/screamo bands who dress like crazy emos/goths and tell people "yeah i'm in a band" even tho they've NEVER ****ing played a single show ANYWHERE. we've got kind of a new reggae thing sprouting up now too, like this band eazydub, they just played at the boardwalk a lil bit ago. this whole reggae/progressive/post-punk thing has been coming about because of kids around the age of 14-17 just starting to like the rx bandits, the sad thing is everytime some1 starts liking them they either A) are sceney kids who r also into escape the fate (i want to frikkin MURDER craig mabbit), or B) start acting like i did when i first discovered the mars volta. "what? you've never even heard of them!? what do u listen to, generic rap and metal! HAH! u dont know music, i'm gonna make horrible assumptions abt what u listen to and stop speaking to any1 who doesn't like this band, except my gf cuz im WHIPPED!!" lol. anyway, there's a small jam band thing going on here too, its pretty easy for them to get shows cuz they're more accessible to the majority of adults in the area than screamo or post-punk. my brother kinda got tricked into joining the jam band scene while he lived here but he ended up loving it so its all good lol i love the style too and i'll probly form a jam band sometime in the future. then we've got my favorite group of musicians, who all converse with eachother, kind of a diverse group of hard-rockers, hippies, country guys, and semi-pretentuous shred or progressive people. for the most part all these people are connected. they get an okay amount of shows and usually end up traveling a bit. that's the group i feel like i'm in but i haven't played a show yet hahaha. and then finally there are a couple melodic hardcore bands starting to show up, influenced by la dispute, touche amore, a lot like birds, loma prietta, etc.

GreenDayFan16
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I live about 3 hours north of St. Louis (shout out to all the Mormons for knowing where Nauvoo and Carthage Illinois are haha). The closest scene I have is a small rundown scene in Keokuk, Iowa. Town of about 20,000. There are some bands(mainly hardcore punk) that do original stuff but none are over the top awesome. a few metalcore bands and an indie band or two drift around in there, plus all the old guys in their classic rock/country cover bands. so you guys think you have a crappy scene.......at least you have a scene man.

kangaxxter
01-18-2011, 01:05 AM
here in folsom, ca, there are a lotta places with free shows and crap where its kinda first come first serve, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah A LOT blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah NEVER blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ANYWHERE!!!! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah MARS VOLTA!!! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah WHIPPPED!!blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah MURDUR!!!! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

cool story bro.

EDIT: but seriously dude, break up your paragraphs.

duhpunk
01-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Tampa is alright. It's definitely over-saturated with shitty metal bands, but there's a nice little surge of post-hardcore bands in the area coming out of the woodwork.

As far as shows, it's pretty easy to book something with locals. But you have to work your ass off to get on a big bill

sooperduper19
01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
cool story bro.

EDIT: but seriously dude, break up your paragraphs.

Absolutely. Amazing.

Natrone
01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Wichita is starting to get a really cool scene going. There are a lot of coffeeshops and such that host free shows that are perfect for bands that are still building their fanbases, and the venues are all ages as well. On top of that, there's a pretty good variety of music that is played around here as well, which is great.

The thing about "not having a scene" is that you just have to make one, which you can do if you go out and rock hard.

Cowless
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Wichita is starting to get a really cool scene going. There are a lot of coffeeshops and such that host free shows that are perfect for bands that are still building their fanbases, and the venues are all ages as well. On top of that, there's a pretty good variety of music that is played around here as well, which is great.

The thing about "not having a scene" is that you just have to make one, which you can do if you go out and rock hard.

This. I believe this.

For example, "classic" or traditional hard rock doesn't have a scene per se, but you can sure as hell go out and rock the joint and get a great reaction. Because everybody, at some base level, can appreciate an awesome show.

otto6457
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I must be a very lucky guy living in Lubbock, Tx. Our music scene is great. The Depot District downtown has lots of live music every night. Obviously, blues and country are the most widely found, but the metal scene is active also. Having a 1 major university and 2 smaller universities with really good music departments in town helps. There is even classical/flamenco guitar events most every week. There is a great history of music coming out of Lubbock, starting with Buddy Holly and including Joe Ely, Jay Boy Adams, Mac Davis, Delbert McClinton, Robin Griffin, Bobby Keys, P.J. Belly, Waylon Jennings, and seemingly on and on.

Yep...no complaints here.