What needs work?

PDA

View Full Version : What needs work?

IRISHPUNK01
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi everybody, this is from a gig we had about 2 weeks ago and i was wondering if there's any horrible glaring failures that you can point out so we can do better next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-TyPLLGig&feature=related Original song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv4SgXF9xRI&feature=related Cover

I should note that i am usually more mobile on stage but our bass player was sick so i had to play bass for the night which means that i didn't give as good of a preformance as i should have. There are more videos to the side although i'm not sure of the quality.

Any helpful tips or advice would be much appriciated.

kangaxxter
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
If half the local bands near me played as good as you guys, I'd go to more of their shows.

IRISHPUNK01
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
really? i don't even think that was a good gig, we could have been way better, but thanks man.

TrevorJH
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
That was definetly a good gig. I didnt notice any "horrible glaring failures" but during the original turn the singers mic up it got hard to hear it sometimes.

nouse4aname125
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
a couple hiccups, but nothing that really makes me wanna glare at you guys in disapproval.

at around 26 seconds in the cover theres a bit of phasing going into the chorus. and the guitar solo sounds out of key a few times.

the original sounds a bit choppy and thin at some times. but im gonna assume thats because of the line up change for the gig. overall. not a bad performance. just kinda dirty. but i enjoyed it :cheers:

scguitarking927
01-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Damn dude, that was pretty good. Your voice in JBG was awesome by the way, was different but in a very very good way, dig it man keep it up!

Even as far as movement goes, you held my attention just fine, some bands are just like that, they'll have a natural presence around them so they don't necessarily have to be running around off the walls.

AlanHB
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
It was pretty tight. Took a while to start the song, bassist was playing around on the floor with something? Watch your favourite bands and how they start their shows. Usually they rock on stage and start playing immediately. You should practice starting your set at home to just make it a bit more polished.

Other than that, the song doesn't really have a melody. If that's intentional all good, but if it's a result of needing some singing lessons I'd get some of those too.

And your drummer is awesome.

IRISHPUNK01
01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, really appriciate it. I'm not trying to make excuses but the thinness was a result of not having our usual two guitar set up, especially obvious during johnny and the reason it took so long to start the original is because i wasn't to sure how to use the bass players rig, so all that ended up coming out was a very low, weak sounding distortion.

We got a good enough reception though so they've invited us back out, if they're taking videos again i'll might put them up so you can guys can see us at full strenght.

Thanks for the support guys.

Cowless
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I really dig that punk cover of Johnny B. Goode. Good sound and a rockin' drummer.

Withorwithout
06-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Guitarist can work on his solo a bit more, and is sloppy from time to time. Picking up some pentatonic licks will help hugely. Other than that, good job!