question about a PA system...

PDA

View Full Version : question about a PA system...

Tyson2011
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
ok first off, I'm not sure if this is in the right section, so if not I apologize, feel free to move it mods :)

So essentially, my band is in the market for a new PA system because ours doesnt have enough juice, and we're looking at various different things, the one that is sticking out the most to us at this point in time is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EUroport-EPA900-Ultra-Compact-8-Channel/dp/B002BZX76G%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmtfx1-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002BZX76G

What we're wondering is, would it be capable to bi-amp this setup? The bassist/sound guy wants to do this in the near future, but we're not really sure if the system is capable of it as we're not overly tech-savvy when it comes to this sort of thing. If I'm not clear on bi-amping, I basicly mean that we intend to run 4 speakers through this to filter the lows through two of them and the highs through two of them...

Thanks in advance for any replies fellas and fella-ettes :)

Punk_Ninja
01-18-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't know if that would be your best option.
I'm assuming the deal is that it's a powered mixer and two speakers for $700?
I'd reconsider looking about EBay, Behringer aren't exactly renowned for their reliability or quality! I know a guy who managed to get two mixers, two power amps and a four speaker set up for like 300.

Either way, I'm not sure if that allows bi-amping, it seems quite a common technique to me (I've seen quite a few people do it) so I'm sure it would? Though I dunno!

Tyson2011
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
hey thanks for the reply! Behringer isnt known for their quality??? I guess I've heard nothing but good things about them...

I'll look around on ebay, this is just the one we've found most suitable for us...the wattage we have right now definitely isnt enough (300) so this should be plenty...your friend sounds like he got an excellent deal!

the max we're willing to spend is aroudn $1200 bucks, but we'd prefer to go lower if possible

also, my original question hasnt been exactly answered yet :(

Phil Starr
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
This sort of set up isn't designed for a guitar band it is more for a semi-acoustic band singer or for PA at corporate events. It would be OK in the practice room but it is really not loud enough.

Behringer have a terrible reputation though I have to say I have a mixer and a PA amp of theirs which has been faultless. Over here the biggest problem is that after sales service out of guarantee is non existent.

If you want to stick with Behringer you could do better with This http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Europower-PMP4000-1600-Watt-16-Channel/dp/B003GV3GQ0/ref=sr_1_47?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1295370000&sr=1-47
plus some speakers like these http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-VP1520-Professional-Titanium-Diaphragm-Compression/dp/B0029RPRZU/ref=sr_1_21?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1295370321&sr=1-21.

Look around though and there are plenty of alternatives from JBL, Yamaha, Samson and literally dozens of others.

In the meantime you need to read around the topic before you spend on the wrong thing. UG to the rescue start here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html. There are three articles and one more in the forums in draft (UG Contributions)

Enjoy, I'll answer any specific questions when you've read the articles

Tyson2011
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
thanks a lot man you've been most helpful! :)

Ethanb08
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I did some research and talk to some store owners familar with Pa's and i've decided to run 2 Peavey PV215 (two 15" speakers and 1" tweeter in each cab) run with a Peavey IPR1600 (planning to move it to monitors when we get some, and up the amp to a IPR3000), the mixer is a PV14USB. The speakers were $600 together, the IPR poweramp was 350ish or something, mixer was $400ish. plus 150ish for cables maybe...lol

Anyways that gets a lot of volume...

Ideally you could go with a mixer with less inputs if you dont need em all... and another brand too. Mackie, Yamaha and Peavey seem to be the go to in my area, or most commonly stocked in stores here... Behringer sometimes but as earlier stated they can be iffy on quality... Ultimatly the prices are in close ranges, mixer you could spend $80 on a 2 channel one or up to $600-$2000+ for 20+ channels (depending on brand....). I'd say a 10 channels would be nice to just have, incase you have a lot of vocals and wanna mic some amps or keys. Its always better to have too many inputs than too little.

Power amps I flat out say just get an IPR1600 or IPR3000, it weighs 7 pounds and its got plenty power for speakers, it also has built in high pass, full range, and low pass crossover switches on each channel which is basically what biamping is all about... and not that this is a reason but it looks cool...lol

Speaker wise you have numerous options, behringer, peavey, yamaha, mackie, jbl and more, often in that order of price lowest to highest. being a peavey fan boy i'd say get peavey speakers... The sound quality is good and its within budget... for me anyways.

For biamping i guess you'd run something like this...

/-> Peavey IPR1600 highpass -> 2 Peavey PV115s in stereo
Mixer
\-> PEavey IPR1600 Lowpass -> 2 Peavey PV118 subs in stereo

Start by getting a mixer a power amp and some "tops" which are full range speakers, they wont have exceptional lows, but it will be good until you get subs.
So mixer lets say $300, IPR1600 $300 (2x530watts @4ohms), and a pair of 8ohm 1x15s ($400-$500 for a pair) +$100 for cables... Your looking at $800ish, then add a 2nd amp and some subs later... which would be like $300 for another IPR1600 and $500-800 for a pair of subs...

Samzawadi
01-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Behringer amplifiers, speakers and so on are generally thought to be pretty terrible around here - both in terms of sound and reliability.

However, their mixing desks and similar DJ equipment are not at all bad, I'd definitely at least look at them for your mixer. It's likely to be at least a bit cheaper than your other options.