Manpower (women too... You know what I mean!)

PDA

View Full Version : Manpower (women too... You know what I mean!)

Quinlan
01-18-2011, 01:09 AM
*TL;NGTR*

Basically I was wondering some good ways of finding able/willing musicians. (For any scene/genre/whatever) Where do these connections come from, so on, so forth...

Also: Practice space? Dorms don't cut it and hauling my shit around is getting old, especially since I've only jammed with like 1 other guy and nothing sparked. Ideas for fairly convenient places to practice/stow shit?

*If you give a shit*

I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years. The original issue I had was lack of reliable people to drum and sing. Me and my bass buddy refused to risk auditioning sketchy people from CL, and none of the bands we went to go see were really into metal/blues/stoner/psychedelic/whathaveyou. (Mostly ska and modern/emo punk) We did one recording for another buddy's screamo/metalcore song he wrote, which he also provided vocals for, DIY with the Hydrogen drum machine on Windows. Turned out pretty well for a first try, I must say. No band formation.

Part 2:

So we're in college now (all different colleges, AND I'm out of state). Found several musical friends, but most are leaving next semester due to monetary limitations/preference. This normally wouldn't be a problem, except that the only reliable drummer I know is leaving (also a good friend) and most of my other friends/acquaintances/humans with a pulse aren't interested in anything other than radio cabbage and super duper underground indie music. Essentially, potential aspiring musicians = 0. Not to mention everyone on my floor (and the floors below) dislike my musical choices and complain to me (thankfully, not campus authority) when I play guitar on anything past 1...

Storage is also an issue. I know college *ought* to be BARE essentials, but I can't live without most of my stuff on hand. I can fit it all in my room without much issue, but setup space and playing is an absolute CHORE. Are there any good options that may be around for me and potential friends/bandmates to practice in that I have yet to consider?

ANY insight is extremely welcome. I need other people for music. Playing by myself is decent at best and uninspiring at worst... For the love of God and all that is rock and roll PLEASE HELP ME! :(

loljk, but seriously: Help please?

Echoplex
01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
We are a rare breed. You'd have a hard time finding a truly dedicated musician in any style.

If your school has a decent music program, you might look there for decent practice space and musicians.

Schnecter
01-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Took guitar ensemble in college... some pretty cool guys but all of them seemed to be into super heavy metal (which i like some) or indie like you said. Good luck man, I've been wanting someone to jam with and maybe start a band with for years

Where you from btw? Just a shot in the dark. Them styles of music seem to be right up my alley

Quinlan
01-18-2011, 01:29 AM
From Baton Rouge, LA but currently in Mobile, AL for college. Worth a shot, right? lol

Schnecter
01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
From Baton Rouge, LA but currently in Mobile, AL for college. Worth a shot, right? lol

Yea for sure. I'm in kansas though. O well. Good luck finding some people bud

Punk_Ninja
01-18-2011, 06:28 AM
It's all about committment.
I'd been playing 5 years nearly before I found my first band, which was the start of last year.
Though that's not my ideal setup still, though it is the closest thing I can really accept (noone would want to play in a fusion/blues trio :p: ).

But yeah, just keep looking, everywhere, if you don't trust people, well I guess that's your own problem, but the only way you'll find a band you can fully enjoy is by looking out there.

I've known of people who joined a band only with people they knew, and any time that's happened they've fallen apart cos they realised that one/some members weren't right and didn't want to cause conflict, so they just split the whole band.

AlanHB
01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
If you want to find people, you'll just have to swallow your pride and audition people through open ads just like the rest of us. Alternatively you can meet other musos at open mic nights and local gigs.

For practice spaces, google them in your area. You pay a fee and get a room, often with a PA and drumset included.

Storage? If your room won't do for whatever reason, use storage places.

Phil Starr
01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
If you want to find people, you'll just have to swallow your pride and audition people through open ads just like the rest of us. Alternatively you can meet other musos at open mic nights and local gigs.

For practice spaces, google them in your area. You pay a fee and get a room, often with a PA and drumset included.

Storage? If your room won't do for whatever reason, use storage places.
Yep, that's right.

Secondly swallow some more pride and just get out and play whatever the genre. A true musician can learn from playing just about anything and you'll meet other performing musicians. You'll also be taken more seriously if you are actually playing in public.

In the end you need to network, talk to any musician, go to the places they hang out, go and see the other local bands and chat with them, eventually you'll find that some people know nearly everyone and you'll track down the people you want. You'll meet lots of other interesting people on the way. Above all be flexible.