Band Style.......

PDA

View Full Version : Band Style.......

Punkrokkboi
01-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I'm having a small issue with my band, and it may sound lame or superficial or whatever, but I dont like how my band mates dress... I want us to portray the image of a badass punk/hard rock band. I personally dress like a rockstar normally, ya know leather jacket, black jeans, band tees. Thats just what I like and how I am. These guys wear wrangler blue jeans, adidas long sleeve shirts, gym shorts.... And they're great musicians, but how do I suggest that they change their look a little bit, at least for band functions, without coming off as a gay douche or something like that? I feel weird saying "dude, I dont like how you dress cuz it doesnt look like we should be a rock band, change it."

Thanks

-Daniel

Beefyfrog
01-21-2011, 02:22 AM
how about just mention : "what do you guys think if we dressed more like a band ? cause we've got the music but not the style."

Or just let them wear what they want ^^ after all it is there choice on how they dress =P

chuckmehh
01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
I totally hear you on that man. I'm not talking everyday attire, but at least for gigs, you have to look the part too. OK, you don't HAVE to, but people want to think you're a rockstar and they care about the image. Just casually bring it up and expect them to say FU...That's the response I got and the moment I realized they weren't serious about the band haha

SGRocker400
01-21-2011, 02:29 AM
something like- it'd be pretty cool if we all matched for shows and stuff, like a band uniform. what do you guys think?

or make some band shirts

Meelad360
01-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Just tell them that live shows are a visual AND audio experience, if the crowd wanted JUST audio they'd listen online. You can play the part, now you've got to look the part.

But for the love of God don't all wear the same thing at every gig.

Joshua1207
01-21-2011, 03:10 AM
Image shouldn't matter. Let them wear what they want.

Mithaearon
01-21-2011, 06:13 AM

It shouldn't matter but it often does.

Luckily being in a Grunge/Alt Rock band it doesn't matter for us as the whole point of it is just to not worry about it and where what you want but for other genres it is different. There is an expected look and uniform to wear.

Just bring it up with them next practice, I mean theres no need to worry about what they wear at rehearsals but for the live performances see what they say.

CL/\SH
01-21-2011, 09:42 AM
this is what I was thinking. I wear shorts and a t shirt to every gig. So long as you look like you're having fun on stage people won't give a damn about how you're dressed.

Joshua1207
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
It shouldn't matter but it often does.

Luckily being in a Grunge/Alt Rock band it doesn't matter for us as the whole point of it is just to not worry about it and where what you want but for other genres it is different. There is an expected look and uniform to wear.

Just bring it up with them next practice, I mean theres no need to worry about what they wear at rehearsals but for the live performances see what they say.

It only matters if you're trying to be a pop star sellout :rolleyes:

food1010
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
It only matters if you're trying to be a pop star sellout :rolleyes:This. You should definitely try to look nice though. Don't dress like a you can't afford more than one pair of clothes (unless you really can't), because that's not good. Beyond that, as long as you have a strong stage presence, it really doesn't matter what you wear.

kangaxxter
01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
It only matters if you're trying to be a pop star sellout :rolleyes:

It only matters if you're not a metalhead who already dresses in a black T-shirt and shorts.

AlanHB
01-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm all for making a band image where all the members have a unified dress code. However if your issue is that you just don't like how they dress, then you are just being a douche.

Damascus
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
It only matters if you're not a metalhead who already dresses in a black T-shirt and shorts.

Metalheads/metal bands always seem like they make the most effort to dress up/care the most about how they look. Except like hipster-y sorts of bands. Maybe it's just my area.

krypticguitar87
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
you can do what we do and choose a few different things that you only wear on stage, that you would wear normally... I don't see whats wrong with blue jeans instead of black ones but whatever.

I know that I have Tshirst that I only wear for gigs.... they are pretty much void of all name brands and other bands just a generic shirt with like a skull or a raven or somethin like that. but for a punk/ hard rock it doesn't really matteras long as you act like you don't care about your appearence on stage....

'93
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
well tbh its good to just express youself as you...

the whole leather jacket sort of stuff is kind of dumb. i see people who wear the leathe rjackets and the tight pants and the "rock star" clothes and they look like douches.

thats why then grunge came and it was like t-shirt and jeans and your ok. which is what i like and its how i dress.

HalfDose
01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I want us to portray the image of a badass punk/hard rock band. l

Personally, it astounds me that "punk" is identified by how people dress and do their. there is nothing more counter expressive than showing how much you DON'T CARE and Do NOT Conform, then sewing on patches and spending an hour getting your mohawk to stand up straight. I think I officially stopped being "punk" the day I started honestly not caring about my clothes and look.

Sooo, now i play in a ThrashPunkHardcoreMetalGrungeProgressiveBand and we get classified as all sorts of stuff, but people love us, we get to travel and we are regionally successful.

***And my fav part of every show is when we are done and someone says "dude, looking at you before the show, I would never have believed that the same guy was playing that guitar." This is usually started off with "No Offence But..."

I don't find it offensive, it just bothers me that we live in a world of sh*tty guitar players with wild hair, ripped jeans and eye liners, while my clean new Chuck Taylors, stripped button down and glasses prematurely visually disqualify me from being a great guitar player

So, if you really think that telling your friends how to dress is going to get your band any further than the school auditorium and the local VFW, then have fun making new, little minded, mailable friends.

I'm having a small issue with my band
Yes, it is small and if it's an issue, think of this: Rock Star is an attitude and a mentality that you can convey when you walk around stage and talk to people before and after your set. If you deliberately walk around a show like you want people to judge you based on how you look, you may also turn off people of stronger sensibility, maybe even those with more to offer you.

/myrant, lol

Punk_Ninja
01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
YOu do generally make a bigger impact if you all follow a general theme.

As you want the image to be punk/hard rock leather and studs is a must.
It's stupid and naive for anyone to say "it's not about the looks it's about the music", which is clealy not the case. Noone would take a jazz band seriously if they had t-shirts and checkered shorts on, noone'd take a metal band seriously if they had tuxedos on, etc.

You have to tell them that you need to be recognisable as a band when you're on stage.
My band recently talked about this, and while matching outfits is lame, you need to decide on a style. Even if it's just "We're all gonna wear t-shirts and jeans" or "We're gonna all dress cas/formal" a few days before. It shows that you're a band.

Hell even if it is just wearing your band's t-shirt and jeans, it stilll shows people you're a band.

I mean, The Clash got away with it (well, Mick Jones was always in something like a Zoot Suit or hawaiian shirt where Joe, Paul and Topper looked the part :p: ) but I'm assuming you guys are establishing a name for yourselves around your hometown to start.
So you can't really just look like anyone from the crowd, you need to make sure you're synchronised as a band in everything!

HalfDose
01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Punk_Ninja - I thought you were being sarcastic, and when I realized that your post was serious, I laughed so hard, I spilled coffee all over myself, so you owe me a new pair of jeans and a Mallrats shirt. Just mail it to Nevada, USA, they'll find me

'93
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Personally, it astounds me that "punk" is identified by how people dress and do their. there is nothing more counter expressive than showing how much you DON'T CARE and Do NOT Conform, then sewing on patches and spending an hour getting your mohawk to stand up straight. I think I officially stopped being "punk" the day I started honestly not caring about my clothes and look.

the irony is that acutally caring about looking punk is totally against punk...

punk=couldnt give a damn about such shallow things

the people who try to look punk just look like idiots. they seem to try to hard

well obviously you dont go in something totally inappropriatebut just going in normal clothes, not really caring about looking the part is in itself punk

Cowless
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't really think caring about appearance is against the punk ideal. Think about the Misfits. They had a theme, and they sure as **** followed it.

You don't want to look like you're trying to hard, but at the same time, you want to look like you belong on stage as a band, not just some random schmucks who just stumbled up there. Every band that really made it has an appearance and, more importantly, attitude that suggests that they are a serious band.

Damascus
01-23-2011, 04:06 PM
YNoone would take a jazz band seriously if they had t-shirts and checkered shorts on,

Funny you should say that...

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/wp-content/media/2010/02/PolarBear.jpg

That's the band Polar Bear, in case someone doesn't recognise them, nominated for...

...'Best band' award at the BBC Jazz Award 2004
...a BBC Jazz Award 2006
..."100 Jazz Albums That Shook The World" by Jazzwise magazine
...Mercury Music Prize 2005

No shorts, but, to be fair, it does look fairly cold.

'93
01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't really think caring about appearance is against the punk ideal. Think about the Misfits. They had a theme, and they sure as **** followed it.

You don't want to look like you're trying to hard, but at the same time, you want to look like you belong on stage as a band, not just some random schmucks who just stumbled up there. Every band that really made it has an appearance and, more importantly, attitude that suggests that they are a serious band.

yeah but its not the late 70s anymore where is was seen as rebellion to have a mohawk and stuff

now its like...wow that guy is trying to be 70s punk...

while i dont mean you cant have a mohawk or wear a leathe rjacket dont try to be punk just for the sake of being punk. be yourself, even on stage...

kangaxxter
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
You have to look the part. Like Punk_ninja said; anyone who says "it's not about the looks it's about the music" is fooling themselves. Think about it this way, you don't go to a show to listen to a band, you go to a show to see a band.

So, yes, you band should dress up or something, they should look better than the audience. Even if it's just Jeans and a T-shirt that has your bands name spray-painted on it. Also, Black Leather Jackets work in any rock genre, especially punk.

'93
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
but you cant overdo it...other wise you would look like an idiot

i want to go see a band who just dress decently. t-shirt and jeans.

studs and stuff like that are kind of amateurish imo

Samzawadi
01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
studs and stuff like that are kind of amateurish imo

Except on world-famous rock/metal bands.

Funny how that works, isn't it? How, if you're famous, you can get away with wearing far more ridiculous stuff...because the image and the reality match up a lot better.

The "leather jacket, jeans, studs, outrageous hair" thing is how rock stars dress, yes.
You are not a rock star.

You are a musician in a small-town band which struggles to get more than a few dozen people at a show. (Probably. This is the UG average). Basically, when you dress like that, you're pretending to be far more important than you actually are.

This goes for every genre, I suppose - what you wear on stage shows what you think the band should look like. So if you're all going to wear utterly different styles...someone in a tuxedo, someone in ripped jeans, someone who's more sunglasses than man...you're not really projecting anything as a group. Similarly, if you all turn up in leather and chains, you're saying 'WE THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE US REALLY, REALLY SERIOUSLY, LOOK HOW ANGRY WE ARE'.

'93
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Except on world-famous rock/metal bands.

Funny how that works, isn't it? How, if you're famous, you can get away with wearing far more ridiculous stuff...because the image and the reality match up a lot better.

The "leather jacket, jeans, studs, outrageous hair" thing is how rock stars dress, yes.
You are not a rock star.

You are a musician in a small-town band which struggles to get more than a few dozen people at a show. (Probably. This is the UG average). Basically, when you dress like that, you're pretending to be far more important than you actually are.

This goes for every genre, I suppose - what you wear on stage shows what you think the band should look like. So if you're all going to wear utterly different styles...someone in a tuxedo, someone in ripped jeans, someone who's more sunglasses than man...you're not really projecting anything as a group. Similarly, if you all turn up in leather and chains, you're saying 'WE THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE US REALLY, REALLY SERIOUSLY, LOOK HOW ANGRY WE ARE'.

exaclty

imagine if rhcp went out naked on their first gig...they would have been booed off

instead they attracted a crowd who were impressed with their stage antics...and then came out with nothing but a sock!!!

Punk_Ninja
01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Damascus, just checked that band out, live they seem to dress a bit smarter than that, but still, we aren't talking about famous bands here!
Pat Metheny gets away with wearing that stripey jumper and running shoes every gig he does, but any small local band without a following wouldn't be taken seriously if they were in casual clothes! (generally that is!)

HalfDose, you're kidding me surely?
How can you not agree that a band needs to look in synch with eachother? Especially when at a local level.
Look at almost any big band, they'll have a look to them, be it one which is fitting to their style of music, or one which they have been sporting for years or something.
If you all look like you're on the same page you're going to look more professional.
While bands can get away with wearing whatever, it can end up looking horrible.

Also, just stick your clothes in the wash. ;)

'93
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
while it is important to look in synch having 4 guys dress the same is a bit stupid

its like having a uniform...

let them wear what they want

Punk_Ninja
01-23-2011, 05:24 PM
while it is important to look in synch having 4 guys dress the same is a bit stupid

its like having a uniform...

let them wear what they want

Like I said in my first post, it's stupid to have matching outfits.
But following a similar style is a good idea.

Like, my band's "style" is pretty much a "distressed formal" kinda thing, like, we'll be in formal clothes but the ties'll be loose, the sleeves'll be rolled etc etc, that's pretty much our theme and within that we can all wear what we like.
So while I may go for a relatively open black shirt with no tie, black trousers and smart trainers, my bassist might go white shirt, loose tie, dark jeans and shoes where the drummer might have a loose bow tie and braces, etc etc.

There's still a lot of scope to have originality if you have a band theme, but if you have no idea of the band's look at all you can end up with some (hoping I don't sound camp here :p: ) fasion disasters.

HalfDose
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Punk_Ninja - The dog licked the coffee out... we both enjoyed it

Dressing alike or to a "style" is called a gimmick. For me, gimmicks take a lot away from the experience of liking a band. With the single exception of GWAR, it is just a cry for attention form shallow people.

You have to look the part. Like Punk_ninja said; anyone who says "it's not about the looks it's about the music" is fooling themselves. Think about it this way, you don't go to a show to listen to a band, you go to a show to see a band.

I go to see a band live to hear the true sound of their music. There have been several bands who I've liked on disc, then shown up to see and lost interest in because they found it necessary to supplement their quality music with Hot Topic brand parlor tricks.

Also, Black Leather Jackets work in any rock genre, especially punk.

Leather is murder...

'93
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
yeah gimmicks suck...

but punk nnija sort of had a point. i guess you sort of need to look like you are actually in the same band. but most professional bands who i take seriously dont rly dress up

HalfDose
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
the irony is that acutally caring about looking punk is totally against punk...

punk=couldnt give a damn about such shallow things

the people who try to look punk just look like idiots. they seem to try to hard

well obviously you dont go in something totally inappropriate but just going in normal clothes, not really caring about looking the part is in itself punk

Doesn't that just kill you?
You're my new best friend...

[QUOTE=HalfDose]Personally, it astounds me that "punk" is identified by how people dress and do their. there is nothing more counter expressive than showing how much you DON'T CARE and Do NOT Conform, then sewing on patches and spending an hour getting your mohawk to stand up straight. [/QUOTE=]

Once, when I was like, 17 or 19, an older dude told me "You think all this sh*t looks cool and you're being funny and rebellious and you're showing off your individuality, but you're just another assh*le, just like everyone else who's trying to express themselves, just like everybody else. And you'll get that one day and nothing'll make sense anymore for a while" One of the most important things I ever heard.

BTW, can we turn this convo to Stupid Tattoos next??

'93
01-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Doesn't that just kill you?
You're my new best friend...

[QUOTE=HalfDose]Personally, it astounds me that "punk" is identified by how people dress and do their. there is nothing more counter expressive than showing how much you DON'T CARE and Do NOT Conform, then sewing on patches and spending an hour getting your mohawk to stand up straight. [/QUOTE=]

Once, when I was like, 17 or 19, an older dude told me "You think all this sh*t looks cool and you're being funny and rebellious and you're showing off your individuality, but you're just another assh*le, just like everyone else who's trying to express themselves, just like everybody else. And you'll get that one day and nothing'll make sense anymore for a while" One of the most important things I ever heard.

BTW, can we turn this convo to Stupid Tattoos next??

i have a friend :D

i mean its sort of like

you're unique...just like everybody else

shortyafter
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I agree about punk, you shouldn't "try" to look punk. But I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Let's face it, if you went to a show and saw a band (presumably of younger kids) wearing gym shorts and Adidas athletics tee's, you're not going to take them seriously. It looks like a bunch of kids whose mommy's bought them their clothes and their instruments and they decided to start a band. It just looks bad.

There doesn't need to be a dress code. You don't have to all be wearing leather jackets and tight ripped Levi's. That would also look bad. Just make a few basic rules. First of all, no gym shorts. At LEAST wear some kind of jeans. Or cargo shorts or something. Just no gym shorts. Actually, athletic clothes in general look bad. Unless you guys decide on some kind of image where you all want to look like Richard Simmons on stage. That might actually be pretty funny. But that's because your exaggerating it on purpose.

Flannel shirts are good, jeans are good, band t's are good, plain T's are good, v-neck's are good, cargo shorts are good, etc. This is not making them CHANGE their "image" or style. I'm sure they all have at least 1 or 2 of those items in their closet. Just tell them on gig day to bring them out and wear them. Leave the gym shorts for when you're going to the gym.

Punk_Ninja
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Punk_Ninja - The dog licked the coffee out... we both enjoyed it

Dressing alike or to a "style" is called a gimmick. For me, gimmicks take a lot away from the experience of liking a band. With the single exception of GWAR, it is just a cry for attention form shallow people.

Sorry...but that's not what a gimmick is.

A gimmick is something which distracts from the music in order to make poeple like the band.
Akin to getting two girls on stage to kiss or something like that.
Dressing in a way which identifies you as a band is not a gimmick.

GWAR's stage appearance IS a gimmick as they wear ridiculous outfits and that's prety much their appeal.

But wearing clothes which make people see that you're a band is not a shallow cry for attention...

'93
01-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree about punk, you shouldn't "try" to look punk. But I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Let's face it, if you went to a show and saw a band (presumably of younger kids) wearing gym shorts and Adidas athletics tee's, you're not going to take them seriously. It looks like a bunch of kids whose mommy's bought them their clothes and their instruments and they decided to start a band. It just looks bad.

There doesn't need to be a dress code. You don't have to all be wearing leather jackets and tight ripped Levi's. That would also look bad. Just make a few basic rules. First of all, no gym shorts. At LEAST wear some kind of jeans. Or cargo shorts or something. Just no gym shorts. Actually, athletic clothes in general look bad. Unless you guys decide on some kind of image where you all want to look like Richard Simmons on stage. That might actually be pretty funny. But that's because your exaggerating it on purpose.

Flannel shirts are good, jeans are good, band t's are good, plain T's are good, v-neck's are good, cargo shorts are good, etc. This is not making them CHANGE their "image" or style. I'm sure they all have at least 1 or 2 of those items in their closet. Just tell them on gig day to bring them out and wear them. Leave the gym shorts for when you're going to the gym.

follow this guy

Joshua1207
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Umm, about that..

kangaxxter
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Leather is murder...

No, murder is murder.

Leather is leather, because if it wasn't leather leather wouldn't be called leather, which leather is, which makes leather leather, and by definition, both legally and grammatically, not murder.

Also, You know what looks good on stage; Leather Pants.

Damascus
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Damascus, just checked that band out, live they seem to dress a bit smarter than that, but still, we aren't talking about famous bands here!

You think any of these guys went out in a tux to play for Polar Bear before they were famous? :haha:

The vast majority of bands I really like can or could normally be photographed on the street in pretty much the same clothes they wore on stage. I don't want to be Motley Crew, I don't want to be the Insane Clown Posse and I sure as fu don't want to be Kiss.

Punkrokkboi
01-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok to be clear, I wasnt suggesting that they all look like me. Wearing a leather or denim jacket is just what I like to wear, and I'm totally being myself and not doing it cuz it's "punk" or whatever. I Just want us to look, like punk ninja said, like we're in sync as a band and not have me wearing what I wear and them looking completly different. Anyways, I talked to them and my bassist was actually think we should get more in sync as well. We're going to wear our favorite band shirts, and black hoodys and for me a denim jacket. That way, we wont look totally different and we all are dressed like we belong on stage and not in the crowd.

See, I think that when you go to a show, you should be watching people who look different and who dont look like everyone else. Its part of the show. It's audio as well as visual.

Sorry if I ended up coming across as some wanna-be punk kid. Punk is just a label anyways, I only use it to define what our band sounds like because I can't just say "It sounds like fast power chords, distorted guitars, angry vocals, ect ect".

Punk_Ninja
01-24-2011, 02:24 AM
You think any of these guys went out in a tux to play for Polar Bear before they were famous? :haha:

The vast majority of bands I really like can or could normally be photographed on the street in pretty much the same clothes they wore on stage. I don't want to be Motley Crew, I don't want to be the Insane Clown Posse and I sure as fu don't want to be Kiss.

No jazz band wears a tux...unless they're in some jazz orchestra.
And to be taken seriously in most jazz clubs they will have had to smart it up. I mean, they probably would have had shirt/trousers/shoes, but they would have been much smarter than t-shirt and jeans. Jazz fans can get real picky about clothing.

darthbuttchin
01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Absolutely. Bands that don't all dress with the same style HAVE to be shit.
I mean just look at these wannabe posers

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2886339902_057f74750c_z.jpg?zz=1

They aren't wearing the same things! Not even the same style!

Joke over, it's stupid all wearing the same. I agree there should be something, even just a T-shirt, which you set aside for wearing on stage, just so it puts you in the right mentality, but if you're all matching, it just looks awkward and contrived. So long as you're comfortable with what you're wearing, that's all that matters.
To the OP, have you considered that maybe your bandmates don't feel comfortable wearing or with the idea of wearing leather jackets and the like? If it's not your thing, it's just not your thing, nothing you can do about it really.

db

Damascus
01-24-2011, 08:52 AM
And to be taken seriously in most jazz clubs they will have had to smart it up.

Have you got any evidence at all that they did this beyond your speculation? Because I've never seen them dress much different from that picture, and they seem to have become a famous, successful group with - for a jazz band - massive crossover appeal. Now this is just speculation on my part, but perhaps the general attitude they have as a young band playing jazz but not closing themselves off to more modern influences - reflected, as you can see in how they dress in a modern, casual style and not 'smarting it up' - has helped win them that extraordinary crossover appeal? Just a thought.

The evidence seems pretty convincing to me - that if you dress in what you're comfortable in, then it doesn't need to be really anything more than you'd around town. Said evidence (just from my mediaplayer, sure there's loads more I don't know about):

Alanis Morrisette
Amy McDonald
Aphex Twin
Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
Autechre
The Band
Beck
Biffy Clyro
Billy Bragg
Black Sabbath (early)
Blur
Boards Of Canada

...you know, actually, I'm kindof bored doing this list already and I'm only half-way through the B's. If everybody just imagines a list about 13 times or so longer than that of evidence that dressing casually/what's comfortable for you is more than enough to be successful in music, an almost completely aural art form...I'll just stick with the Radiohead jeans/tshirt daywear, cheers.

Punk_Ninja
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
darthbuttchin, you're kind of proving my point...and kind of proving how little people are reading my posts before ragging on me for no reason. Led Zep didn't all look the same no. Much like how I've not once said that a band needs to look the same, but they all have the same style to them, it's pretty obvious that Led Zep, especially in that picture all had a similar style, which was a style used by a lot of bands at that time, proving my point that a band theme makes them seem more professional as it ensures that people can tell what/who they are just by looking at them.

And Damascus, you're missing the idea that jeans/t-shirt can also be a style. For example, you mentioned blur.
http://www.live4ever.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/blur1.jpg
Oh look at that, they ain't wearing uniforms (which I never said they should) but they're all following a style. This may only be the first result from google images, but Blur's style pretty much was the casual thing, they all wore t-shirts, polo shirts, hoodies etc, but they're all looking a part of one collective group.

Most of the bands you mentioned (granted I don't know all of them) do follow a style. As I've said too many times now, I never said they should wear the same clothes.
Even though some of them are just casual clothes, the whole band are wearing casual clothes.
It's not like one member is wearing a t-shirt/jeans, one's wearing a three piece suit and the other is wearing an Ekko tracksuit.

Damascus
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
And Damascus, you're missing the idea that jeans/t-shirt can also be a style.

No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that the bands that are wearing that aren't making any additional effort to dress up for gigs, work out a cohesive style, or try to appear 'smart'. They're just wearing pretty much what they'd wear if they had a gig that night or not.

For example, you mentioned blur.
http://www.live4ever.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/blur1.jpg
Oh look at that, they ain't wearing uniforms (which I never said they should) but they're all following a style. This may only be the first result from google images,

It's the first image from google-images, and a little more importantly, that's a picture from a photoshoot. I've watched dozens of radiohead videos from dozens of their gigs and I've not once seen them out of street-casual clothes, but I can google you up a batch of photoshoots where they've been dressed in sunglasses and leather jackets by whoever was controlling the shoot.

...but Blur's style pretty much was the casual thing, they all wore t-shirts, polo shirts, hoodies etc, but they're all looking a part of one collective group.

This is pretty much my point - they're all interested in the same kind of music, culture, fashion etc., so by just wearing what they'd be wearing anyway, they look like part of the same general cultural group and therefore look like an adequately cohesive band. I'm sure I could scan my mediaplayer and find enough examples of bands with fairly divergent fashion sense to prove that fashion cohesion is barely necessary, though.

I got involved in this thread just to make a single point about a very successful jazz band who dress like (to use the examples so far) Radiohead or Blur, but the point I've been trying to make clear across about three posts here is that there are too many examples to bother going through of bands who don't really need to bother about their appearance, or image, or style in terms of how they dress for gigs, because they just dress how they would anyway and no-one gives half a shit because it looks fine and they're more interested in the music.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm trying to say that this is a complete non-issue, that wearing what you like and are genuinely comfortable in is never going to be half of part of a division of a percent as important as your music, and a mediplayer mostly full of bands that appear to do this looks like more than enough proof for me.

shortyafter
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm trying to say that this is a complete non-issue, that wearing what you like and are genuinely comfortable in is never going to be half of part of a division of a percent as important as your music, and a mediplayer mostly full of bands that appear to do this looks like more than enough proof for me.
Are you saying its not an issue in general? Or specifically that it shouldn't be an issue for the OP? Because I think it's a pretty big issue for him. If you're just talking in general, then my bad, you can stop reading. Because yeah, in general, I don't give a damn what the Arctic Monkeys are wearing on stage - I already know they're a serious band with good music. But what if I go to a show to see one band I already know and then the OP's band opens for them. If the OP's band walks on stage, all of them wearing gym shorts and Nike tee's, I'm already going to find it hard to take them seriously. They look like a bunch of kids who crawled out of their mom's garage just barely long enough to play their first gig.

I'm all for not giving a shit and dressing however you want. That's fine. But if you want to be taken seriously then you have to take yourself seriously. That's why you wear a suit to an interview. You play the part. You don't show up to a job interview dressed in jeans and a t-shirt because you expect your credentials to speak for themselves. The same thing goes for a band, specifically a NEW band. Again, I don't care what the Arctic Monkeys wear on stage, I know they're a legit band. But if a new band wants to make a good first impression then they should look the part. Jeans and a t-shirt are fine on stage - the good news is that kind of thing IS looking the part for a band. The bad news is wearing gym shorts and whatever your mommy bought you last weekend at Wal-Mart is NOT. You don't have to go out of your way to change you "image" - you just make sure you wear appropriate clothing when you do get up on stage.

Again, sorry if your post was directed more towards image in general, because in that respect I pretty much agree with you. I just think the OP has a valid concern. Also, I'm making the assumption that the OP is on the younger side, like high school age. I think there's a little more leeway as to what you can wear on stage as you get older. But a sure-fire way to tell which high school bands are serious and which are just dicking around is to look at how they present themselves on stage. I know from recent experience.

Punkrokkboi
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Are you saying its not an issue in general? Or specifically that it shouldn't be an issue for the OP? Because I think it's a pretty big issue for him. If you're just talking in general, then my bad, you can stop reading. Because yeah, in general, I don't give a damn what the Arctic Monkeys are wearing on stage - I already know they're a serious band with good music. But what if I go to a show to see one band I already know and then the OP's band opens for them. If the OP's band walks on stage, all of them wearing gym shorts and Nike tee's, I'm already going to find it hard to take them seriously. They look like a bunch of kids who crawled out of their mom's garage just barely long enough to play their first gig.

I'm all for not giving a shit and dressing however you want. That's fine. But if you want to be taken seriously then you have to take yourself seriously. That's why you wear a suit to an interview. You play the part. You don't show up to a job interview dressed in jeans and a t-shirt because you expect your credentials to speak for themselves. The same thing goes for a band, specifically a NEW band. Again, I don't care what the Arctic Monkeys wear on stage, I know they're a legit band. But if a new band wants to make a good first impression then they should look the part. Jeans and a t-shirt are fine on stage - the good news is that kind of thing IS looking the part for a band. The bad news is wearing gym shorts and whatever your mommy bought you last weekend at Wal-Mart is NOT. You don't have to go out of your way to change you "image" - you just make sure you wear appropriate clothing when you do get up on stage.

Again, sorry if your post was directed more towards image in general, because in that respect I pretty much agree with you. I just think the OP has a valid concern. Also, I'm making the assumption that the OP is on the younger side, like high school age. I think there's a little more leeway as to what you can wear on stage as you get older. But a sure-fire way to tell which high school bands are serious and which are just dicking around is to look at how they present themselves on stage. I know from recent experience.

This is by far the best answer I have gotten. My concern was that it'd look unprofessional and as this guy said, no one would take us seriously. and yes, we are high school age. I honestly dont care what they wear outside of a gig, but when we get on that stage I want us being taken seriously and I want us to look good.

shortyafter
01-25-2011, 01:32 AM
This is by far the best answer I have gotten. My concern was that it'd look unprofessional and as this guy said, no one would take us seriously. and yes, we are high school age. I honestly dont care what they wear outside of a gig, but when we get on that stage I want us being taken seriously and I want us to look good.
Yeah, I figured you were high school age. I understand your situation because I was having the same type of concerns a few years ago. We had a couple guys who always looked good on stage but I always looked out of place and just threw on whatever. I was actually concerned about how I looked and eventually just asked my band mates what they thought I should wear on gig days. Ended up just wearing jeans and a t-shirt - simple as that. I'm sure your bandmates ARE concerned about what they wear on stage but just haven't brought it up. They may not know what's okay and what isn't okay to wear. That's how I was. It took me several gigs before I realized I really looked out of place and asked my bandmates for some help.

And I hope I didn't sound condescending with the mommy type comments, I'm actually just out of high school myself. I was just exaggerating to illustrate my point. Good luck though. Like I said, not everyone needs to be wearing ripped jeans and leather jackets (though its fine if thats what you personally decide on). Jeans and a t-shirt (band tee or plain tee) are fine. Or flannel shirts. Stuff like that. Your bandmates will understand. In fact, looking like a band will probably give you guys more self-confidence on stage. I know it did for us.

Punkrokkboi
01-25-2011, 01:51 AM
yeah I brought it up to them recently and we decided on a good style that everyone likes and is comfortable with. It all ended up working out just fine.

the_perdestrian
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
god this thread is a flame war and nothing in this argument about what a band should or shouldn't wear on stage has anything to do with how TS should bring it up to his band that he thinks they should dress a little bit more cohesively.

and since TS has updated, im glad to know that your bass player was on the same page as you and that things are going well, Im glad you guys came to that conclusion and are doing what every single person in this thread is suggesting in slightly different ways, before arguing over semantics or trying to defend themselves from the people who are.

Damascus
01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I feel the following would be both informative and amusing.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18855_7-impractical-rock-star-fashions-we-wish-had-caught-on.html?wa_user1=1&wa_user2=Music&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=moreon

Mephysteaux
01-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I can appreciate the OP's problem. I'm a metal fan, I've seen a lot of metal concerts, and for the most part, metal musicians basically dress how a metal fan would: black T shirt, jeans or dark pants, maybe a few accessories like wristbands or whatever, and having long hair, beards, tattoos and piercings isn't uncommon. While, to me, it doesn't sound like they put much effort into their appearance, I saw a local metal band once where all the band members were wearing Lakers jerseys and gym shorts, and it was kind of hard to take them seriously.

Alternatively, you can go in the other direction. Amongst big name bands, it isn't uncommon to see people dress to fit a gimmick. At this point, I wouldn't call it stage attire, as much as I would call it a costume. And, in my opinion, if you're wearing some sort of costume or uniform that makes it look like you put a lot of effort into it, and your music doesn't measure up, you'll just look like a bunch of tools.

axemanchris
01-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I think we need to be careful here. You can't, for instance, use Led Zeppelin as an example for anything to do with marketing in 2011. Even Blur is tenuous. The industry has changed so much in the last ten years.

I think it would be instructive to look at the top ten bands (not solo artists... no Justin Biebers or Taylor Swifts) on the charts now from various genres. Use the Billboard chart, for instance and grab the top ten punk bands, the top ten metal bands, the top ten rock bands, the top ten pop bands, etc.

Are they presenting a very calculated image? My bets say yes. No, I'm not talking KISS or Slipknot or anything over the top. Even Barenaked Ladies' image was all calculated. It was "nerds trying to look hipster by wearing Hugo Boss," but certainly a calculated image nonetheless. (yeah, I know they were ten years ago, right along with Blur, but they were the first ones to come to mind of an example of having an image, without really appearing to have an image....)

To "make it", image is very important.

However, when you're playing a high-school talent show and get all decked out like Slipknot, you are kind of hard to take seriously.

The trick is finding the balance.

CT

austhrax
01-25-2011, 10:59 PM
its worth just asking them what they think although if they feel comfortable wearing what they wear just leave it and it will take care of itself

Mithaearon
01-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Save all the hassle and just perform in the nude....

Thank god I am in a Grunge band where the dress code is whatever happens to be laying around on the floor at the time I am getting ready :D

C_Miller
01-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think you all have to dress the same, in fact I would advise against it. It has the potential of looking extremely stupid and even worse, contrived. Rock and Roll isn't supposed contrived and/or scripted. However, it can be a little jarring to see people haphazardly dressed. Like if you're dressed up in black, your drummer is wearing a ratty white shirt t-shirt, your other guitarist is wearing tie-die, and your bassist is dressed as an 80s hair metal guy.

As a compromise, I'd say go monochrome. Maybe even not monochrome, but like wear darker colors or lighter colors, but wear them together. Black, dark grey, dark green, navy blue, blood red would look fine together on stage and wouldn't be jarring at all. You may say it's about the music, but by nature, playing live is extremely visual.

kangaxxter
01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah...However, it can be a little jarring to see people haphazardly dressed. Like if you're dressed up in black, your drummer is wearing a ratty white shirt t-shirt, your other guitarist is wearing tie-die, and your bassist is dressed as an 80s hair metal guy. ....blah blah blah

I don't think 80's hair metal guys are ever haphazardly dressed; No one rolls out of bed in the morning and says "I don't feel like dressing up today so, I'm gonna wear leather pants and use three bottles of hairspray "poof-ing" out my hair instead". Anybody that dresses like that is doing it on purpose.

C_Miller
01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Doesn't matter. Just an example. I'm saying that it would clash (no pun intended) if they all looked like they were from completely different bands.

Windwaker
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Wear what makes you comfortable on stage, but keep in mind that other people are watching you, so it's okay to dress a bit eccentrically.

Take a look at bands of all different genres and get a scope of how they dress onstage and portray themselves. Look at groups like The Mars Volta, Tool, RHCP, some modern pop groups, Muse, and others. Whatever you do, DON'T EMULATE THEM. You will only look like a sad group of wannabe's with no sense of personal style. Develop your image together, and have it make sense with your quality of music and level of fame so you don't look like you are overdoing anything.

IommiPage
01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
It look alot worse if one of you are trying to dress the part of a "rock star" and the rest dressing casually. It definetly makes that guy look like a douche. But trying to get the entire band to dress like "rock stars" is possibly worse, because it makes the audience dismiss the band as being wankers or douches, or something. Image is somewhat important, as the visual aspect is also a part of the show. Not quite as important as the music itself, but still important. Honestly, seeing a band dressed casual, comfortable, and appear as they are is alot cooler than trying to dress up to act the part. It makes the band look more down to earth, and like real people.

Gajewa469
01-28-2011, 01:19 AM

+1. Best answer.

When I go to a show, and I see a band in a T shirt and shorts...I get the feeling that they don't care.

What is the problem with dressing up a little? I'm not saying go buy the skinniest jeans you can find and straighten your hair, but wear some jeans and a fitted shirt. You're not "selling out" if you dress up for an interview, or a wedding, and you're not selling out if you dress up a little to perform.

Damascus
01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
When I go to a show, and I see a band in a T shirt and shorts...I get the feeling that they don't care.

No matter what the music is like? Whether they look like that's the sort of thin they wear, whether they look comfortable in it or not? No matter what the weather's like, whether it's inside or outside? I don't get it.

I don't really want to get reinvolved in this debate, so I'm just going to say that it seems like people here, musicians on a guitar forum who play music themselves, not the general record-buying(-downloading...) public care far, far, far too much about what other bands are wearing. And I don't mean in an axemanchris look-at-what-other-top-ten-bands-are-wearing-you've-gotta-play-the-game kindof way; I get that (although if you want to see catchy music trump casual street clothes, check out the music video for the Arctic Monkey's first single, fastest-selling debut album in British history, 2005), but everyone seems to be personally caring about what bands wear. Actually disliking the look of bands in clothes too casual, equating...

...if you dress up for an interview, or a wedding, and you're not selling out if you dress up a little to perform.

And there's a school of thought that reckons playing music is an activity where you can get away from the bullshit of having to dress up, even a little, to do something that you can do perfectly well in whatever clothes you feel comfortable in. Again, I understand the point of view that advocates cultivating a professional/topical/fashionable image in order to get ahead in the music business, just like dressing for an interview helps you get ahead in the estimation of your prospective employer, and I understand that you're obviously not going to attract most people to shows if you don't look socially presentable, but given that that is hardly a high standard to meet, I don't really understand the level of concern people - musicians - here have about what other musicians wear.

So that's my piece - like I said, don't wanna actually get involved in the argument or the advice or anything again, just wondering if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, or whether I'm in a minority or whatever, because ^^ is how this thread reads to me.

Gajewa469
01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
No matter what the music is like? Whether they look like that's the sort of thin they wear, whether they look comfortable in it or not? No matter what the weather's like, whether it's inside or outside? I don't get it.

I don't really want to get reinvolved in this debate, so I'm just going to say that it seems like people here, musicians on a guitar forum who play music themselves, not the general record-buying(-downloading...) public care far, far, far too much about what other bands are wearing. And I don't mean in an axemanchris look-at-what-other-top-ten-bands-are-wearing-you've-gotta-play-the-game kindof way; I get that (although if you want to see catchy music trump casual street clothes, check out the music video for the Arctic Monkey's first single, fastest-selling debut album in British history, 2005), but everyone seems to be personally caring about what bands wear. Actually disliking the look of bands in clothes too casual, equating...

And there's a school of thought that reckons playing music is an activity where you can get away from the bullshit of having to dress up, even a little, to do something that you can do perfectly well in whatever clothes you feel comfortable in. Again, I understand the point of view that advocates cultivating a professional/topical/fashionable image in order to get ahead in the music business, just like dressing for an interview helps you get ahead in the estimation of your prospective employer, and I understand that you're obviously not going to attract most people to shows if you don't look socially presentable, but given that that is hardly a high standard to meet, I don't really understand the level of concern people - musicians - here have about what other musicians wear.

So that's my piece - like I said, don't wanna actually get involved in the argument or the advice or anything again, just wondering if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, or whether I'm in a minority or whatever, because ^^ is how this thread reads to me.

No, I know exactly what you mean. Some musicians want to get away from having to dress up for things, and want people to just care about the music. I get it. I just don't get why it is such a big deal to wear jeans and a fitted shirt, instead of rolling in like you just got out of bed.

People care about image, it's just the way it is. They came to see you, and want to see the combination of the music, your stage presence, and your image. If they didn't, they could just listen to you online.

I don't know, I like dressing up a bit, wearing something different from the norm, because gigs are special.

NetherSpirit
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I used to play in a metal band where we all just turned up in whatever felt comfortable and made us look like a band - not just a group of musicians who played music together.

However, the singer used to put in tons of effort and end up looking ridiculous.

So my opinion is that a band should look like a band rather than just a group of musicians, no matter what the genre of music, so that they look like one, cohesive, well oiled music machine. :p:

Damascus
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
No, I know exactly what you mean. Some musicians want to get away from having to dress up for things, and want people to just care about the music. I get it. I just don't get why it is such a big deal to wear jeans and a fitted shirt, instead of rolling in like you just got out of bed.

It's hardly like there isn't a gulf of difference between 'rolling out of bed' and 'jeans and a fitted shirt'... >.>

I get what you mean about dressing up a bit - as if you were going out to a bar, say...which you are anyway...

People care about image, it's just the way it is.

This was kindof my contention earlier - most of the bands/musicians I really like (any of whom have achieved as much success/fame/made as much money out of music as I would want to) have stage wear that, as far as I can tell, runs the gamut from "just out picking up some shopping" casual to "jeans and nice shirt" 'smart' (and "homeless hippie", "occasionally nude" etc. but let's leave that aside) so...really what motivation could there be for me to believe that or put more effort into my image/stagewear than "should I wear combats and a t-shirt tonight, or maybe jeans? Possibly a shirt? Is it cold? Will I need a jacket etc. etc. etc." ?

Gajewa469
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
This was kindof my contention earlier - most of the bands/musicians I really like (any of whom have achieved as much success/fame/made as much money out of music as I would want to) have stage wear that, as far as I can tell, runs the gamut from "just out picking up some shopping" casual to "jeans and nice shirt" 'smart' (and "homeless hippie", "occasionally nude" etc. but let's leave that aside) so...really what motivation could there be for me to believe that or put more effort into my image/stagewear than "should I wear combats and a t-shirt tonight, or maybe jeans? Possibly a shirt? Is it cold? Will I need a jacket etc. etc. etc." ?

That's true, and everyone is different. I'm just the type of person who likes to dress up for things - no intent to take away from people who don't. It also depends a lot on the genre you are playing. :)

elloel
01-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Image is everything....

/thread

JDizzle787
01-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Image is everything when it matters and nothing when it doesn't.

/thread

Fixed.

'93
01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
i say gig in the clothes you ear when you go out...nice clothes but nothing too fancy

Damascus
01-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Image is everything when it matters and nothing when it doesn't.

/thread

Fixed.

This here is deep, y'all. Layin' some truth on you.

shredibanez24
01-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Just wear some nice lookin jeans and a band tee for gigs, that's what I always did. But I dress like that all the time so, I guess I just did the Tallica way and wore my street clothes to shows.

isabiggles
01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Ridiculous.

You're a punk rock band and yet you care about what your band looks like? Contradiction much? There's nothing punk or rock about caring about what you look like. You're being a douche, if people care about what you look like then you're pandering to the wrong crowd.

Punkrokkboi
01-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Ridiculous.

You're a punk rock band and yet you care about what your band looks like? Contradiction much? There's nothing punk or rock about caring about what you look like. You're being a douche, if people care about what you look like then you're pandering to the wrong crowd.

Obviously you cant read that this problem HAS BEEN SOLVED. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look like a band, and you're being the douche because you obviously read my posts wrong. I dont "care" about looking pretty or whatever, I dont care about putting effort in to the image, as long as we look like a band and look interesting enough to put on a show. There's no contradiction.

Punk_Ninja
01-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Ridiculous.

You realise that all punk bands care what they look like...
What they don't care about are the norms or music, but punks put more effort into how they look than a lot of other musicians.
Hell, even pop musicians, look at John Mayer wearing a t-shirt an jeans, or Jason Mraz in a check shirt and jeans.
Then look at a punk, some of the mohawks I've seen can not have taken less than 20 minutes to get right. And if they didn't care about how they looked, the style which is the punk genre wouldn't exist.

bagpipemetal
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I think it all depends on what genre you play. If you're a death metal band you should dress metal, black, chains boot ect. If you're going for a hard rock/punk style then you should dress like it. In my band we play alt-rock so we usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt, although I've been pulling for us to do a beatles throw-back look with suits, nothinghas come of it yet :(

isabiggles
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
You realise that all punk bands care what they look like...
What they don't care about are the norms or music, but punks put more effort into how they look than a lot of other musicians.
Hell, even pop musicians, look at John Mayer wearing a t-shirt an jeans, or Jason Mraz in a check shirt and jeans.
Then look at a punk, some of the mohawks I've seen can not have taken less than 20 minutes to get right. And if they didn't care about how they looked, the style which is the punk genre wouldn't exist.

That's different. I'm not saying that they'll just walk on naked because it's easy, i'm saying they don't think about what kind of clothes will be appealing. They wear what's normal to them. Punks dress like that because that's how punks dress. They don't sit down and think about what would look cool and appealing to all the little thirteen year old punks.

Do these guys look punk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5XuDqC1a6Y

No... it's just how they look.

HalfDose
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Ridiculous.

I'd like to mention, again, that under this model, mohawks and patched jackets are not punk :haha: :haha:

isabiggles
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd like to mention, again, that under this model, mohawks and patched jackets are not punk :haha: :haha:

Or you can read the post above...

Think about it this way. I couldn't give a toss about how I look and yet I wear a studded metal belt, jeans and black metal shirts. It's not something I think about, it's just the kind of thing I wear. Sure, punk's normally look a bit more elaborate but that's just how punks dress in general.

BlackDog55
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
At the end of the day. If you are serious about the music you play and perform with all your heart who the **** should care if your wearing a band t-shirt and some jeans.

kaptink
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2886339902_057f74750c_z.jpg?zz=1

Holy shit I have exactly the same shirt as JPJ there.

Also just wear whatever you'd wear normally, the rockstar/ dress-punk thing is stupid.