band promotion ideas

PDA

View Full Version : band promotion ideas

anthsband
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I want to get some suggestions on how to promote a band. My band, JWP, has been together for around 3-4 years now and no matter what we do we just can't get a following. We try so hard to promote and spread our music but get nothing in return. We have our own originals, which everyone says they like, and also if we play longer shows we know music ranging from the Beatles to Zeppelin to RHCP. It's not like we suck either. We have a lot of accomplishments we are very proud of such as winning a battle of the bands, playing at many fundraisers/benefits (one benefit we played at we opened for Joe Grushecky whom used to play/write with Springsteen), and headlined plenty of local venues/bars/etc.

Here are some things we do to promote:

internet: facebook, myspace, twitter, reverbnation, other misc band sites - I have us on so many different websites. I keep them updated constantly with news and such about shows, updates, new music, etc. Anytime we have a show I create an "event" and invite everybody to it to let people know about it
friends - anytime we have a show we tell everybody we know about it. I also text everybody in my phone 1-2 weeks before the show and also the day of the show to remind them
local - we haven't had time to do this lately but sometimes we hang fliers around the area. Another thing we sometimes do but haven't lately because we're busy, is play at local open mics. I plug the shit out of shows there and also try and hand out stuff
merch - at shows we ALWAYS hand out plenty of business cards, demos, shirts, etc. We also obviously plug other shows we have while we're playing

So that's it in a nutshell. We are completely baffled and confused about why we can't get a following. Can any of you guys give some tips or some ideas on what you guys do to promote your band?

CL/\SH
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Everybody is on You Tube now. Get on there, and set up the title and tags so its really easy for anyone to find them.

I.E. - Don't put your bands name along with the title of the song in the title of the video. Make it broad, like (insert your bands genre here) or just Music or maybe Rock Band or Blues Band. Something people are more likely to just happen across. My drummers little brother recorded my band at a talent show and he titled it (Our band name live our high school) and its got almost 1000 views now. Had he titled it differently so that a more broad number of people could find it I'm sure it'd have well over that number. Another thing is the tags in said video. You could put other artists your band is even somewhat similar to. (SRV, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Mayer, Slim, Clapton, etc.) Simply have your bands name and the title of the song in the description box. If people like you enough they will look for your names on there. Unfortunately, not many people pay too much attention to myspace, and on facebook no one really looks at events.

Put on your own shows and advertise them if you have the means. Advertise a house party where people come specifically for the music. Unfortunately, however, unless there's alcohol not to many peeps will be showing up. That's the way it goes.

There's other things you can probably do that people will fill you in on, but so far your'e doing all the right things. Problem is, not too many people are in to Blues Rock my friend :shrug: In general, most people would rather listen to Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga than Blues. As a musician, I love Blues and the like to death and that's all I do on my own time. But I play in a punk band, for several reasons;

1. I have to sing so I can't wank out on guitar while singing songs that heavily emphasize the words, at least with my music anyway.

2. It's much easier to put on a good show for folks (for me) when I don't have to worry about improvising a big solo the entire set. I can rock out, make eye-contact with the audience and develop a relationship with them as the show goes on. Plus I love playing that kind of music live because it's the time I can really let it all out and have a great time.

My two cents. :wavey:

EDIT: You guys are really good by the way. I'll flip your name to a few people who I know will like you.

anthsband
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. We actually just made a youtube channel like 2 days ago haha But those are good tips about the tags. glad you like us.

BTW - we're not "specifically" blues/rock. our originals are more like rock/pop with a little blues feeling in it. whatever haha

duhpunk
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
play unplugged sets at busy places that are bound to be full of your demographic. prime example: college campus

CL/\SH
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Sure thing. Yeah, I know what you mean, it's got a bit of a pop feel to it, and is more likable than smooth jazz for sure haha. I honestly think you guys are good, and if you keep at it people will start to notice you. All bands have to pay their dues. Even Green Day drove around in a bus for like 2 or 3 years all over the country playing shows every night before anyone gave them a second glance.

Duhpunk also has it right. You can set up and hand out cds/shirts outside a mall or shopping center or college campus, have your drummer get some congo drums or the like and just jam unplugged.

krypticguitar87
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
the unplugged I dea sounds really cool also get to more open mic nights, don't call your stuff a demo, throw on a couple more tracks and call it an ep or go record the actual album. that would work much better.... also how active are you on stage, and how much do you engage the audience? you gotta remember that you are competing for time in their lives, if they think you like them more than they like you they are more bound to come back.

also listen to your 'demo' with the idea that it is some new local band that you don't know, then judge weather or not you would want to go see them after that. sometimes you work too close to your own material and fail to see the flaws in it, that can push people away... I used to hang out with this dude who thought his band was litterally the best thing that ever happened, it was him on an acoustic guitar and singing for some songs and then him on a distorted bass with a ton of reverb while singing on other songs... his voice was horible, and his playing sucked, even on his demo, but for somereason in his mind he thought it was awesome. one night I recorded him at the place he was playing at and showed it to him, telling him it was someother guy I seen the night before, then after he listened to it and told me how bad it was I let him in on the secret, needless to say he redid everything and even got a band together to play his stuff, it's much better now but he would never have gone anywhere if someone hadn't shown him how bad he sounded...

honkytown
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
I want to get some suggestions on how to promote a band. My band, JWP, has been together for around 3-4 years now and no matter what we do we just can't get a following. We try so hard to promote and spread our music but get nothing in return. We have our own originals, which everyone says they like, and also if we play longer shows we know music ranging from the Beatles to Zeppelin to RHCP. It's not like we suck either. We have a lot of accomplishments we are very proud of such as winning a battle of the bands, playing at many fundraisers/benefits (one benefit we played at we opened for Joe Grushecky whom used to play/write with Springsteen), and headlined plenty of local venues/bars/etc.

Here are some things we do to promote:

internet: facebook, myspace, twitter, reverbnation, other misc band sites - I have us on so many different websites. I keep them updated constantly with news and such about shows, updates, new music, etc. Anytime we have a show I create an "event" and invite everybody to it to let people know about it
friends - anytime we have a show we tell everybody we know about it. I also text everybody in my phone 1-2 weeks before the show and also the day of the show to remind them
local - we haven't had time to do this lately but sometimes we hang fliers around the area. Another thing we sometimes do but haven't lately because we're busy, is play at local open mics. I plug the shit out of shows there and also try and hand out stuff
merch - at shows we ALWAYS hand out plenty of business cards, demos, shirts, etc. We also obviously plug other shows we have while we're playing

So that's it in a nutshell. We are completely baffled and confused about why we can't get a following. Can any of you guys give some tips or some ideas on what you guys do to promote your band?

I just checked out a few of your Facebook photos...without trying to sound like a douchebag here, TWO things you need to do is:

1) Change your band logo. It looks like it belongs in Toys R Us.
2) Get Grandpa off of the drums. He may be excellent, but he's your GRANDPA. What I'm saying is that maybe your audience can't identify with him.

Boydy24
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
I've had a listen to the tracks on facebook and there's definitely some cool stuff there; I really like the chord progressions and melodies, but it's still lacking a few things. The drums sound robotic and uninspiring. If they are anything like that at a live show then you'll instantly struggle to grab people's attention because a strong driving rhythm plays such a huge role in getting people's attention. The bass also needs to be much more prominent and perhaps more creative. With only one guitar, the bass has to fill in a lot of room normally taken up by other instruments, and you can barely hear it on the recordings.

The other big thing is image. Terrible bands often become popular because they're considered cool. It's not what a music purist wants to hear but it is the cold hard truth that image plays a huge part in a band's success. Having an old dude on drums and wearing shorts on stage isn't going to score you any points with the majority of the live music-going demographic.

I don't think that promotion is your problem, it's that the band just doesn't appeal to a huge amount of people. The image isn't what wins fans and the music lacks a bit of kick from the rhythm section.

anthsband
01-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Don't take this as me retaliating and can't take criticism cuz I do take into account what everybody says........I'm just discussing what you said.

The drums sound robotic and uninspiring. If they are anything like that at a live show then you'll instantly struggle to grab people's attention because a strong driving rhythm plays such a huge role in getting people's attention.
I kind of get what you're saying but he just kept it simple since it's a recording. not to mention we had 10 hours to record all three of those songs (prize from winning battle)

The bass also needs to be much more prominent and perhaps more creative. With only one guitar, the bass has to fill in a lot of room normally taken up by other instruments, and you can barely hear it on the recordings.
volume wise, I dunno where you're listening to but its fairly loud anywhere else except laptop speakers. creative wise I don't know what you're talking about. the bass lines are fine. he goes crazy on the chorus to Gangar, he slaps the shit out of the bass on Carousel. If you're talking tone wise, I actually yell at him all the time for buying an Ibanez bass for this kind of music. For the genre we play he should've got a fender jazz bass or something among those lines.

Having an old dude on drums and wearing shorts on stage isn't going to score you any points with the majority of the live music-going demographic.
BTBAM is one of the most insane bands out there and they play shows in jeans and t-shirts without shoes on. I highly disagree about image when it comes to the music business. Yes to a degree image plays a part but only if you wanna be a gay mainstream band and puppets to the record labels. Bands do things themselves nowadays and probably 90% of bands will play shows wearing whatever they want.

anthsband
01-22-2011, 01:38 AM
I used to hang out with this dude who thought his band was litterally the best thing that ever happened.........*rest of story*
That's pretty funny that you told him it was somebody else and he called himself bad haha

CL/\SH
01-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah, the whole image thing is a load of bollocks. You can have the best outfit on ever, if you can't get on stage and get a crowd jumpin with you, or groovin with you, your cause is now lost. In fact, you'll look even more stupid.

I saw a band once that literally put more effort into their outfits than their music. It did not save their performance, and didn't save their failed attempt at being the next Dead Kennedys.

Gajewa469
01-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, the whole image thing is a load of bollocks. You can have the best outfit on ever, if you can't get on stage and get a crowd jumpin with you, or groovin with you, your cause is now lost. In fact, you'll look even more stupid.

I saw a band once that literally put more effort into their outfits than their music. It did not save their performance, and didn't save their failed attempt at being the next Dead Kennedys.

That may be true, but when you can rock out AND have a pretty cool image, well then people start to like that. When I go to a show, and I see a band in a T shirt and shorts...I get the feeling that they don't care.

I don't get the whole "sell-out" or "mainstream" argument. What is the problem with dressing up a little. I'm not saying go buy the skinniest jeans you can find and straighten your hair, but wear some jeans and a fitted shirt.