bass player with slapping problem

PDA

View Full Version : bass player with slapping problem

Carndawgy
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
my band bass player slaps every ****ing thing. his tone is very spiky (as i assume he is more focussed on cutting through the mix and making noise than making the band sound good.) I, on many occasions, have tried to tell him it sounds bad. I have gone as far as saying the lack of low end makes us sound wimpy. He continues to slap everything, to the point where my ears hurt after practice yesterday. Anybody with any good ideas on dealing with this in a reasonable manner?
It wouldnt be bad if he was good at slap/pop and had an appropriate tone, but he doesnt. Tis problematic

ThornHyperdeath
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Get someone else. If he's not willing to put the needs of the band before his own lust for attention he doesn't deserve to be in a band.

sktdrt
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Get another bass player.

Why would you want to play with a guy who has bad tone, poor chops, no dynamics, doesn't support the song, and can't take direction?

He's a waste of space

13Kelly13
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Get someone else. If he's not willing to put the needs of the band before his own lust for attention he doesn't deserve to be in a band.

I completely agree

nigeltheginger
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I suggest you first find someone else who is willing and able before firing him though, you don't wanna have to return to him after firing him and say "ok yeah sorry we need you back"

Also, before doing this, get everybody together and sit him down and say "look if you don't sort your shit out we will have no choice but kick you out" so he knows there is a problem with everybody else and you kicking him out isn't a total shock

MR.Shamanistica
01-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Sit down outside of practice and tell the guy, "You need to stop doing this, the slap bass doesn't fit, your tone is awful and you're not being helpful. You need to change this or we're going to replace you" If his response is apologetic and understanding give the guy a chance, he's probably just going through a bit of a phase as all of us do at some point.

If his response is less... erm, friendly then just say "Fine, okay, have it your way", don't kick him but search for another member, he may see the error of his ways soon enough, and if he's still being arrogant when you find a replacement kick him since you know you've got a definite replacement and you wont be bassist-less for a while.

sktdrt
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow.

A lot of people around here don't have any confidence at all; why are you all so afraid of not being able to find anyone else to join your band?

The 'bass player' has no redeeming qualities and you lose nothing by kicking him out, regardless of how long it takes to replace him; you'll have far more useful rehearsal and writing sessions without some tool playing loudly to himself and doing zero listening.

From what you've said, he's just very immature and simply has no business playing with other musicians yet; you'll be better off without him and he'll be better off going "whackeduh whackeduh" in his room by himself until he learns better.

A real bass player supports the song and the melody first and foremost; this guy is just an ego who happens to own a bass.

SlackerBabbath
01-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Sit down outside of practice and tell the guy, "You need to stop doing this, the slap bass doesn't fit, your tone is awful and you're not being helpful. You need to change this or we're going to replace you" If his response is apologetic and understanding give the guy a chance, he's probably just going through a bit of a phase as all of us do at some point.

If his response is less... erm, friendly then just say "Fine, okay, have it your way", don't kick him but search for another member, he may see the error of his ways soon enough, and if he's still being arrogant when you find a replacement kick him since you know you've got a definite replacement and you wont be bassist-less for a while.

This.

Basicaly, what it boils down to is that everyone deserves to (a) be told what they are doing wrong and (b) a chance to make it right. After that, it's their decision, they can either step up and continue or leave if they can't be bothered to address the problem.

the_perdestrian
01-25-2011, 02:04 AM
im curious as to what genre this is, not that it really matters, even if it were funk you can't always slap.

anyway as a bassist who LOVES to slap, he needs to cool down. slap while fun is probably one of the least useful techniques (next to double thump, and if he can do that he should have no hard feelings getting himself a band to sit back and let him victor wooten away)

bass is all about nuance, dynamics, groove, tone, and all that. and being a religious pick or finger guy would be annoying, but slap all the time? it takes a lot of the low end out, mtakes all the sustain out, takes a lot of the groove out if you aren't good.

I would give him a stern talking to.

Hail
01-25-2011, 02:14 AM
Show him this thread.

Windwaker
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Show him this thread.

Word to that.
Such a solid way to get people to believe you is to actually SHOW them someone else's opinion.

FretboardToAsh
01-25-2011, 09:47 AM
1st thought, I think you should slap him everytime he does it, that'll teach him exactly how annoying slapping is.

2nd thought, find another then tell him to get out.

HalfDose
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
I was once kicked out of a band for not correcting my tone and attack issues :(

It sucked, but they were right and I kearned a valuable lesson and improved these things.

Carndawgy
01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
he's the drummers brother...

shoulda mentioned that. the drummer is excellent. they're kind of a two part deal though..

food1010
01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
he's the drummers brother...

shoulda mentioned that. the drummer is excellent. they're kind of a two part deal though..Talk to both of them. Tell the bassist he needs to work his shit out, and tell the drummer he needs to help his brother work his shit out. I'm sure they both want to be in the band, they'll do what it takes together.

Mithaearon
01-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Fight fire with fire.

Everytime your bass player slaps his bass, slap your bass player. He will soon learn to stop.

Urgh. I once had a Bass player/ drummer brother combo in my band. Worst thing ever. Just too much to deal with, which I guess you are finding out. The need to let one go at the risk of losing the other is never easy, but dont be afraid. You need to do what you have to to make your band the best it can be.

jrakus
01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
put him through a compressor..

scguitarking927
01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
maybe I'm the only one to think this, but really???? You want to kick your bass player because he plays slap. Turn it down a little if it really bothers you that much, but overall a slap bass player will give your song a lot more presence.

Unless He is truly a bad player, which I'm going to assume he isn't because you never mentioned that he couldn't play, then that is under the only circumstance I would kick him.

Sit down with the rest of your band though and see what they think. I'd personally love to hear a demo track or something to hear what your talking about.

Carndawgy
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
maybe I'm the only one to think this, but really???? You want to kick your bass player because he plays slap. Turn it down a little if it really bothers you that much, but overall a slap bass player will give your song a lot more presence.

Unless He is truly a bad player, which I'm going to assume he isn't because you never mentioned that he couldn't play, then that is under the only circumstance I would kick him.

Sit down with the rest of your band though and see what they think. I'd personally love to hear a demo track or something to hear what your talking about.
I'll try to find one from a recent gig, since thats what I'm referring to. The song found at the link in my sig is when he was just playing bare bones parts. Only within the last month has the slap epidemic broke out.

krypticguitar87
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Word to that.
Such a solid way to get people to believe you is to actually SHOW them someone else's opinion.

but is it really anyone else's actual opinion if they never heard it? TS could be mad that he isn't the loudest and most important instrument, I'm not sayig he is jelous or that this statement is even true, but has anyone even thought of that. no. I know plenty of guitarists who get real agro if they aren't lead, you don't actually know weather or not it sounds like garbage so showing him this threas doesn't do anything but give him the ability to say that these peoples opions don't matter because they are biased....

food1010
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Sit down with the rest of your band though and see what they think. I'd personally love to hear a demo track or something to hear what your talking about.As has been said, slap is not ALWAYS appropriate, even in funk. Sure, the ability to slap is a great asset, but the ability to not slap is more important.

Carndawgy
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
As has been said, slap is not ALWAYS appropriate, even in funk. Sure, the ability to slap is a great asset, but the ability to not slap is more important.

haha, thats a good statement. i like it. the drummer and I have both talked to the guy (its become a bit of a band concensus that slappage is outta control) so we'll see how things go at practice this weekend.

hydraone
01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
I opened this under the impression you had a bass player with violent tenancies.

Anyway, he has to adapt his musical preferences for the sake of the band. That's the point of a band.