Politics...Help Please

PDA

View Full Version : Politics...Help Please

JarofFarts
01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We will be posting some of our recordings soon, please be harsh :P

Yhdeksas
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Exclusively doing cover songs when half the band has a different music love than the other half is going to cause nothing but problems. Either agree on a mash of different songs and do whatever instrument hopping you need to do to make it sound great, or write your own material that you can all agree that you love and do less covers.

sooperduper19
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
f*ck chase. he sounds like a douche. tell him to get over his badself.

Chrisseh
01-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Sounds like Chase is an egoistic bum. He should not be the only one with an opinion in the band.
Being fair to the whole band and having fun should be more important than 'sounding the best', and Chase should not be cutting down the bassist and drummer. For problem three, I would just tell him straight up you're going to do the songs and you're going to sing, if he doesn't like it, then tell him to stop being so unfair on the rest of the band and screw off.

From the sound of it, he's being extremely ignorant and thinks way too much of himself, and you need to show him that there's four people in the band.

adstr123
01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
To be honest conflicting styles is one of the best and worst thinga you can possibly have in a band. Worst because it can create arguments, best because it means when making your own stuff you have a wide range of influences to draw upon.

Since you're not making your own stuff you only have the worst part. :haha:

Listen. You need to agree on what to play, if you really are as good as you say you are then don't split up over it - work it out. You need to be fair to everyone, the other guys are putting up with your alternative stuff because it sounds great, now this prick with a ridiculous ego Chase needs to ****ing deal with it as well. You have to be fair otherwise it's never going to work.

And as for the singing thing, have you ever considered a dual vocal band, like blink 182 or whatever? Chase sings some songs, you sing some songs. It's as simple as that.

Chase needs to man the **** up and realise the world doesn't revolve around him. You all have to be fair and take turns. So tell him to grow up and all of you play nice, okay?

And upload some recordings of yourself too :)

unnamedplayer
01-23-2011, 06:54 PM
two ways IMO;

-Just go with the flow and don't bother about what 'could work out later on stage'. Do not irritate people but do not hesitate to be (what you call) 'unprofessional' too. Everyone has to get happy if choices are made naturally. This will boost creativity and harmony eventually.

-Put people in their place, set goals and go your 'professional' way. As leader, convince others that certain decisions are for the best. Agree for some alternative paths to be worked out on 'side-projects/spin-offs' of your current band, so that your 'main'-project stays pure, professional and unstoppable.

good luck!

Solarstar101
01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
chase sounds like the axl rose of the band tell him to stfu

kangaxxter
01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
You need a dedicated bassist. Playing bass but switching to guitar for some songs is unprofessional and eats up a lot of time at gigs, and any time not playing is time the audience can use to judge you (mostly poorly). Also, you generally need a bassist to round out your bottom end so going without shouldn't be an option.

Tell Chase and Joe that if one of them doesn't play Bass all the time, then you will. Then if neither of them give up guitar responsibilities, take up the Bass for your band. It's not that bad of an instrument. And if Chase objects, then tell him he could have taken up bass, instead.

Honestly, it might be easier for you to be the one who gets the short stick out of this because then you can use it as leverage against them later.

Cowless
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Take bass. Be Les Claypool. :peace:

Niiko_Xeneize
01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
You need to decide exactly what are you gonna do, either having a main vocalist or having different singers depending on the song, if you're gonna stick with your instruments or rotate them, as a band you all should come to a final agreement. I don't think is unprofessional to change instruments, but you need to work out how to do it on stage, the drummer may have a solo or somebody starts speaking to the audience so they don't get bored, obviously try to change instruments as less as possible.

Chase seems to be a douche, tell him you're all a band and all have a part deciding everything about it, even if you decide to go his way that attitude he has may cause problems once again in the future, talk to him and if he keeps acting like that I would advise to kick him out, I think "8/10" is good enough so either you, Joe or both can sing and you'll be able to go after an actual bassist (or an even better singer, or someone that can do both things).

thetoastinator
01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Honestly, I dont find the instrument changes unprofessional on stage if its done in a professional way. What I mean is a quick switch, maybe while someone in the band talks to the audience or theres a 20 second drum fill going on or something. Same goes for singing, it can add dimensions to the band, and isnt hard to switch who is singing during a show. Chase sounds like he is just trying to get his way in the band, but it should be a democratic thing. If you guys all want to switch instruments, or sing different songs for different styles (this could be a handy thing if you are playing to a wide variety of people, but if you are playing for a crowd of a certain style you may not want to do this) then go for it. The music is all about having fun and as long as you all are doing that, everything else will fall in place.

SlackerBabbath
01-25-2011, 05:03 AM
In order to run a succesful covers band, there is a basic rule that needs establishing first.

Everyone has their favourite songs and least favourite songs of the set, and quite often, for various reasons, these are different songs for different people.

So, think of it like this, the price you pay to be able to play your own favourite songs in the set is to play someone else's favourite songs in the set, even if you really don't like them.

As for the 'many vocalist' problem, take turns. It's actualy an advantage to do so because that means that each vocalist has the opportunity to rest their voice during someone elses turn, which in turn will make for better performances all round.

Ace-014
01-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Well I have three different opinions on this, depending on certain variables:

1: Typically it would be a considerably better idea for a band to have one singer. It makes your sound and songs more identifiable to your band, is more proffesional, and is the way to go really if you're trying to make it anywhere. But, since your band is all covers, this can be an exception. As a cover band, there is no real aspiration to make "go to the top" or really going to make a name for yourself. But, as soon as you guys start writing original material or actually do start setting out to make a name for yourselves, you should start using one singer instead of switching off.

2: Maybe Chase isn't a douche, but instead you and the other guitarist aren't as good of singers as you think you are at all, and Chase knows that, but doesn't want to tell you it to your face and is instead trying to direct the band away from you guys singing.

3: You really should try to stick to one bassist. Just sayin.

But up those recordings, then I'll see if my theory 2 is right or not.

krypticguitar87
01-26-2011, 11:50 PM

1: Typically it would be a considerably better idea for a band to have one singer. It makes your sound and songs more identifiable to your band, is more proffesional, and is the way to go really if you're trying to make it anywhere. But, since your band is all covers, this can be an exception. As a cover band, there is no real aspiration to make "go to the top" or really going to make a name for yourself. But, as soon as you guys start writing original material or actually do start setting out to make a name for yourselves, you should start using one singer instead of switching off.

you should probably get a memo out to laccuna coil, mushroomhead, atreyu, blink 182, the beatles, set your goals, fleetwood mac, linkin park, 311 etc. you know let them know that they are doing it wrong, and will never make it with more than one singer....

C_Miller
01-27-2011, 12:36 AM
I actually think it's cool for bands to play multiple instruments, if you're good. Look at Paul McCartney. One the latest tour he played, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, bass, ukulele and mandolin and he's also a passable organist and a great drummer. And if you're doing more of a cover band type thing where your set is relatively incoherent (just playing songs as opposed to building a show), it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Same with having multiple singers.

And I'd also drop Chase. He seems like a real bitch to work with and for the most part, bands are supposed to be fun. Plus rhythm guitarists are a dime a dozen and two chill 8/10s are 200% better than a dickish 9/10.

ascend
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Sounds like all of your problems could be solved by becoming a three-piece ;)

AlanHB
01-29-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm with everyone who says "drop chase". Without him no issues would exist.

And LOL at creative differences in a cover band. Guess you'll be afraid of selling out next :P

JDizzle787
01-29-2011, 03:51 PM
You say you and Chase like QOTSA? look into their 2nd and 3rd albums. 3 different singers, all doing one style best. So, tell Chase to suck it up for a little bit. If you're the leader, make the decisions and let him make up his mind on whether he'll deal with it or not. There's only so much gray area where everyone can have a say. And do it democracy style if it's up to the group. Eventually you guys will have so many songs that one song that someone doesn't like won't matter any more.

Joe either needs to stick to bass, or you need to take bass. We had the exact same situation in our band, and while it took almost 2 years, our bassist has decided he wants to be on bass full time. It's only unprofessional if you guys can't hold your own both ways when playing live.

Natrone
01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Tell Chase to grow up or GTFO. Just in nicer terms. It seems as though all of the problems are his stubbornness, so I think the best thing to do is sit him down and tell him what's what.

slaptasticdave
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM

2: Maybe Chase isn't a douche, but instead you and the other guitarist aren't as good of singers as you think you are at all, and Chase knows that, but doesn't want to tell you it to your face and is instead trying to direct the band away from you guys singing.

3: You really should try to stick to one bassist. Just sayin.

But up those recordings, then I'll see if my theory 2 is right or not.

I'm with this guy, especially regarding the second point. If you guys have conflicting ideas of where you want the band to go this could become a problem. You guys may just be doing it for fun while Chase wants this to evolve into something bigger. If he doesn't think you guys are as good as he is as vocalist and he wants the band to go somewhere its only natural that he'd want to be the lead vocalist.