Help with Irish Pub Setlist

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Irish Pub Setlist

BlackDog55
01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok so my cousin's pub opened recently and he wants me to play. but they really only play Irish music there, and I don't know a whole lot of it. I play Guitar drums and harmonica if that helps. Could you guys give suggestions. I am gonna throw in maybe a Flogging Molly song or 2 but would like to have well known Irish songs to play.

thetoastinator
01-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Whiskey in the Jar! Other than that I dont know any Irish music, maybe google some and see what comes up?

Punk_Ninja
01-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Unless you're a trad irish band just play your regular setlist.

I've been to venues that only play a certain genre and heard others played by the bands that play

Archer18
01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Unless you're a trad irish band just play your regular setlist.

I've been to venues that only play a certain genre and heard others played by the bands that play

This, but if you want a fun Irish song chucked into your setlist, have a listen to bugger off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrzZWLu6Qw

spensir3
01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
yeah id suggest you just do your normal setlist. add in well known songs like rockin in the free world, etc..

Mephysteaux
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I think "Irish Music" is a pretty broad, nondescript term, I think you could ask your cousin to be more specific. That could be taken to mean traditional Irish folk music, or you could play Celtic-influenced rock music like you mentioned Flogging Molly, and you're going with the Celtic punk route you can also play things like Dropkick Murphys and The Real McKenzies, or you could play music by bands like U2 and Thin Lizzy that don't necessarily sound Celtic, but do come from Ireland. Or, if you're feeling creative, you could take songs that have nothing to do with Ireland and make them sound Irish. For example, I've always thought the song Blooddrunk by Children of Bodom would sound great covered by an Celtic punk band.

Stud_Muffin
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Rocky Road to Dublin (The Dubliners)
Whiskey in the Jar (Traditional)
Star of the County Down (Traditional, but Orthodox Celts do the best version)
Arthur McBride (Either Planxty or Paul Brady)
My Heart Tonight's in Ireland (Planxty or Andy Irvine)
The Night that Paddy Murphy Died (Great Big Sea)

Search any of these on UG, and Youtube, because they always go down well, at Irish pubs. I have a friend who's really into Irish music, and he's always pestering me to play a few Irish tunes in my acoustic set, so I've learnt a few.

Its worth it though, because he always brings a fair few mates, with him, who drink huge amounts of Guinness, and make the place either extremely funny, or extremely messy.

Axe Samurai
01-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I have lived in Ireland all my life and have been going to the pubs since I was about 14 (I'm 19 now) to listen to the local bands..both rock/metal as well as the Traditional Irish sessions. As you said you play guitar,drums and harmonica that makes me assume that your going to be going for more of a rock set.

I will suggest only the really well known Irish artists that I hear regularly around the pubs being played by rock groups. Of course lesser known Irish bands do exist but there will be less chance of you finding the guitar tabs of them and lesser chance the Americans would have heard of them so I will try keep the list in your best interests.

Here could be a set-list of some of the most well known bands and songs you should check out that aren't Traditional Irish music but are played regularly in Irish pubs:

Horslips - Dearg Doom
Horslips - Trouble with a capital T
Rory Gallagher - Bad Penny
Rory Gallagher - Tattoo'd Lady
Rory Gallagher - Shadow Play
Rory Gallagher - Out on the western Plain (if you're really good)
Thin Lizzy - Boys Are Back In Town
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Thin Lizzy - Dancing in The Moonlight
Gary Moore - Over The Hills And Far Away
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
Gary Moore - Empty Rooms
U2 - With Or Without You
U2 - Streets Have No Name
U2 - Sweetest Thing
The Cranberries - Zombie
Christy Moore - Ride On
Chirsty Moore - Go, Move, Shift

Encore:

Thin Lizzy - Whiskey in the Jar

Other possible artists: The Pogues, Van Morrison, Flogging Molly (as you mentioned).

You could pick and mix from that set-list/jumble up the order of them or even check each artist out separately to see if anything else by them takes your fancy. Anyway it would be a fairly rock styled gig from nothing but Irish musicians and bands who are very well known of over here in Ireland.

So maybe if you do decide to play those songs and your cousin says "hey that wasn't Irish" you could tell him with a smug look that everyone of the bands were Irish and that it was a Irish rock set-list.

AlanHB
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Suggest a song thread.