What's a good way to get cover art for your EP done?

PDA

View Full Version : What's a good way to get cover art for your EP done?

Three11Rules
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
is it frowned upon to find an artist you like, find a piece they painted and ask/pay them to use it ?

is it better to go on craigslist and find a graphic designer to design something original for you?

what's the best way to go about it?

kacper_j
01-24-2011, 05:19 PM
no, it's not frowned upon.

jfreyvogel
01-24-2011, 05:19 PM
What exactly are you looking for? Do you have a concept, or is it just all up in the air? Do you have a budget?

Three11Rules
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
What exactly are you looking for? Do you have a concept, or is it just all up in the air? Do you have a budget?
no real concept. just something cool/interesting looking.

whatever it takes to get professional-grade cover art is what the budget is. any idea how much that usually is? or what most bands pay? so i have something to go by? i know it all differs but just need something to go by.

jfreyvogel
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
no real concept. just something cool/interesting looking.Well it can be drastically different depending on what it is.

whatever it takes to get professional-grade cover art is what the budget is. any idea how much that usually is? or what most bands pay? so i have something to go by? i know it all differs but just need something to go by.
Honestly it can be anywhere from $50, to hundreds. It's hard to say without more specific info. Your best bet is art students. College kids are poor, and art students even more so. I know - I was one. You'll probably spend the least like that.

I occasionally do this kind of work, but I have been doing more websites and less art recently. Cover art just tends to take a while, especially since most bands don't have a clear idea of what they want.

Im_Broken
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
get a mate to do something.
you most likely have a friend who's good at art. everyone has one.
and then get them to do something, especially if they're reasonably close to the band.

Three11Rules
01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Well it can be drastically different depending on what it is.

Honestly it can be anywhere from $50, to hundreds. It's hard to say without more specific info. Your best bet is art students. College kids are poor, and art students even more so. I know - I was one. You'll probably spend the least like that.

I occasionally do this kind of work, but I have been doing more websites and less art recently. Cover art just tends to take a while, especially since most bands don't have a clear idea of what they want.
I see, so is there any usual procedure? as in, do they say you have to give them royalties on each sale or is just one flat price at the beginning and that's it?

seems it might just be easier to go with a painting someone already did. cause you don't have to explain anything. you already like it, haha.

Three11Rules
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
get a mate to do something.
you most likely have a friend who's good at art. everyone has one.
and then get them to do something, especially if they're reasonably close to the band.
but we want something that looks professional, like a graphic artist on a computer did it.

jfreyvogel
01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I see, so is there any usual procedure? as in, do they say you have to give them royalties on each sale or is just one flat price at the beginning and that's it?

seems it might just be easier to go with a painting someone already did. cause you don't have to explain anything. you already like it, haha.
One flat rate is the norm. A pre-made piece of art can be easier but you're limited since you can't really guide the creative process at all, or really have any degree of input. It's hit or miss if you find something you like, or that works as a cover.

BlackDog55
01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Now I understand the appeal to get it professionally done. Though I would be of some assistance. I do a lot of graphic design and photo-editing in my spare time and would do this for free if you wish. Or at least I'll try to make something that you are going for and if you like it you very well can keep it. If you don't well hey I gave it a shot. I PMed you what i will need if you want me to help.

kangaxxter
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
If you have an artsy friend or a mate in Art School, ask them. Art majors love this kind of stuff.

The best thing you can do is if you have two artsy friends, ask each of them, then give each of them the others piece and ask them to "tone it down". Then pick the one you like better.

Natrone
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
If there's a painting you find cool, then just contact the artist about using it for the album art. Some of my favorite album covers are paintings.

Joshua1207
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Take a cool picture and make that your album cover ldo

Punk_Ninja
01-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Well there are a few ways to go about it, probably been mentioned, I only skimmed through this thread.

One is as you suggetsed, find a piece you like and see ifyou can use it, though this may get complicated if copywrite comes up or something.

Another is find a graphic designer and tell them a concept (or ask them to do somethign in the style of a piece you like, thne you may be paying less to use a similar thing), this could get pricey if you get a professional graphic designer, but you could find a college or university with a graphic design/art course, students are willing to work for very small amounts!

Get a friend to do it. As someone said, everyone knows someone good at art! Luckily my band is in touch with at least two of these people (one more life-art and one more digital).

Or you could do as the above suggested and get a picture, but this would involve paying a photographer (again, find a student) or having decent camera gear yourself, which could get tricky if you don't know the ins and outs of photography.

SlackerBabbath
01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Here's a neat way of doing it that a friend of mine did.

Run a competition.
Go to your nearest art school, announce that you are looking for a piece of artwork to adourne the cover of your product and offer a prize of about 100.

This is well cheap for artwork, but most art students will be more interested in getting their art seen by as many people as possible than the prize money.

What it resulted in for my friend was about 150 decent pieces of art to choose from, most of which were designed with the criteria of his music in mind.

This brings a couple of advantages, firstly the competition itself is a form of cheap publicity for you.
Secondly, if you commission a professional artist to do something for you, you pretty much feel obliged to pay for it, (and may even be legaly obliged in certain cases) and you end up with just one piece of art, even if you don't particularly like the results. Your options are, you can choose to either use it or not use it and if you don't use it you've just wasted your money, but this way you have the choice of many pieces of art, making it far more likely that you will end up with something you are happy with, you've essentialy commissioned lots of pieces of art, but you only have to pay for one of them.

Mephysteaux
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Going to an art school, or the art department of a regular school, can be a great resource. Most will usually have some recent work done by students hanging around on display, and you can find a specific piece or a style you like. If you're interested in buying or commissioning something, administrators will usually have no problem with putting you in contact with the artist. Once you've found someone, you can ask to take a look at their sketchbooks, portfolio, etc. That can give you a better idea of their style and their capabilities. If you like something you see, you can buy it, or ask for something done in a similar style, but of the subject matter of your choosing, and maybe some specifications (like not to put anything important in the top third of the piece, as your band logo will go there, etc.). Most art students will be happy just to make a sale, as long as you give them credit and a fair price. It's highly unlikely that they'll ask for royalties, as most art students aren't well versed in copyright law, and even if they are, for a local band with no real way to track album sales, it's not really worth it for them.

'93
01-28-2011, 05:47 PM
i wouldnt suggest taking it to a graphics designer...it would have to be really good not to look fakish if you know what i mean.

i suggest a painting or a photo

Windwaker
01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Go find an artist from an art college who needs the work. It will either be free or cheap, but ask them to clarify up front.

IommiPage
01-28-2011, 09:36 PM
My band's drummer's sister is an art student, we get her to do all our art. She draws alot anyway, so getting paid $10-$20 is alot for her, and she'll put alot more work into it. Plus she has a friend who's really into photography, so we also get free photos. Art school is definetly the best way to go, working with a professional can complicate things abit more than they're worth.

Avalanchi
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't stress too much about an EP cover-art. What I would do is find a LOCAL artists who's vastly talented to do it for free. The allure of having THEIR artwork posted all over your EP for your fans to see 9 times out of 10 be enough payment for them.

Just like musicians there are A LOT of artists out there. If they won't do it for free: you can find someone who will. Believe me.

take_it_t
02-03-2011, 12:10 AM
My band's drummer's sister is an art student, we get her to do all our art. She draws alot anyway, so getting paid $10-$20 is alot for her, and she'll put alot more work into it. Plus she has a friend who's really into photography, so we also get free photos. Art school is definetly the best way to go, working with a professional can complicate things abit more than they're worth.

I realize that in your case, it's a little different seeing as it involves a directly family relationship and what not, but please don't even begin to suggest that $10-20 is reasonable compensation for somebody's time to design custom artwork. Offering anything that to someone is almost insulting.

LazarusOnGrave
02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't stress too much about an EP cover-art. What I would do is find a LOCAL artists who's vastly talented to do it for free. The allure of having THEIR artwork posted all over your EP for your fans to see 9 times out of 10 be enough payment for them.

Just like musicians there are A LOT of artists out there. If they won't do it for free: you can find someone who will. Believe me.

This.

Just make sure you give them credit. And maybe put there website in the liner notes if you have them. It's a good way to get their work out there in an easily accessible format.

Dan_5893
02-10-2011, 05:55 AM
If you get a student to do your artwork, tell them you'd be happy to give them a reference or some sort of positive comment to add to their portfolio. It will help them gain further work down the line.

That's pretty much how Storm Thorgerson started out.

Tobyflyr
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
You could ask in here, there are a couple of graphic designers around, myself included, and i would certainly be interested in helping you?

When it comes to prices it really depends what kind of work you need done, if you want a painting like alot of heavymetal band uses, like the Iron Maiden style, that will probably be expensive since that shit takes ages to do.. But if you want a logo or a picture manipulated that will likely be cheaper..

My guess would be 100-200 dollars, like guitars you really get what you pay for, sure you could find some dude to do it for 50 but the quality will most likely match the price..