Releasing the same songs twice

PDA

View Full Version : Releasing the same songs twice

DanBLON00
01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Me and my band were gonna start recording for an EP. We currently have 11 songs but we were just going to record 5 of them for an EP because we have some gigs coming up in late February and March and we wanted to sell them there. And we won't have time to record the 11 songs before then. After we release the EP we were gonna start work on a full-length album. The problem is, the rest of the band wants to put the 11 songs we currently have including the ones that we're going to put on the EP on the full-length album. So basically, they want to make and release a 5 song EP, then take those 5 songs that we already released and make an album with those and our other 6 songs. I personally think it's kind of lazy to do this because if we already have the songs on an EP, what's the point of releasing them again on the full-length album? It would also be cheating out the people who have already bought the EP, because they'll be paying for a full length album only to get 5 songs they already have and only getting 6 new songs instead of the 11 that they should be getting. We're also missing the opportunity to be able to sell 2 CDs at a gig and possibly make more money. I mentioned this to the band but they were saying that if people had the option between a $5 EP and a $10 album, they'll go with the EP to save money.

What do you guys think we should do? Should we release the 5 songs twice, or not?

swarley
01-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Might as well just record two EPs. Then you can still sell two CDs at shows.

IommiPage
01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
It might be alright if you re-record the songs, and improve them. If you're just releasing the same recording, that's pretty stupid and lazy. If you stop producing the EP, and focus solely on the full CD, then maybe you could get away with it. But really, two EPs are probably best.

col50
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
This^

Or if you really want to release a full length use some songs from the EP but not all of them. Make sure the new release has mostly new material

AlanHB
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
It's not uncommon for all the tracks on the EP to go to the album. However it's more common for maybe 2-3 songs to make it to the album instead, resulting in Alan getting frustrated he has to find some little-known EP to get the song he wants.

How about you see how the EP sells first before considering the album.

SilentHeaven109
01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
I would say it's OK to put previously released singles and maybe 1 or 2 songs from your EP on an album, but just putting the EP on the album is a bit much and I certainly would feel cheated if I'd bought the EP, yes. I would either record the EP then write more songs for a full album,

Or do this.

Natrone
01-28-2011, 03:59 AM
How about you see how the EP sells first before considering the album.
I agree with this.

Also, I would go ahead and just do a 3 song EP and have those tracks go on the LP as well. Or, another thought would be to record alternate versions of them for the EP and then record the planned version for the LP.

You can go from EP to LP easily. Actually, you can even go LP to LP. A nice little tidbit: The song Dare You to Move by Switchfoot, arguably their most popular song EVER, wasn't originally from their breakthrough album The Beautiful Letdown. It first appeared on their previous LP, Learning to Breathe. Given the success of the song, it really didn't seem to bother anyone.

The guy in my profile picture, Brad Paisley, did the same thing. I have what might be a rare edition of his 5th album because it doesn't include a song that was on his previous album, which was released as a single AFTER the 5th album came out.

Diven
01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I have thought about this exact dilemma. I would say if everyone insists on putting them all on the CD, then maybe you could offer to subtract the difference from the full length's price for people who show that they purchased the EP. Honestly though, I would just either do 2 EPs or concentrate soley on the full length.

Birdy266
01-29-2011, 08:18 PM
If you want to re release the songs I suggest doing a 3 song 'demo' or EP then just release the LP with the demos songs

Zycho
01-29-2011, 08:18 PM
It'd be pretty lame to have half an album be from a previous release.

krypticguitar87
01-30-2011, 03:16 AM
I would say that you should re-record the songs for the album because you will have played them live several times, and sometimes you will figure things out that sound better. I know that when Korn released see you on the other side the special edition (or whatever they called it) had a bonus CD with several of their 'new' songs performed live, before they recorded the album and they have some pretty different sounds.....

also alot of bands record an EP early on, lots of times before their first album, and since they are primarily sold at shows not alot of people get them so they will release those tracks on their first album. but you guys will probably have time to write more songs and then you can maybe replace some of the weaker tracks from the EP with new ones....

godisasniper
02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm putting a couple of songs off my band's last EP on our new album, but I'm re-recording them, with some lyrical changes, and much better sound. That way, it has the same aesthetic, and it's fresh.

benn913
02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
This^

Or if you really want to release a full length use some songs from the EP but not all of them. Make sure the new release has mostly new material
This seems like a good idea too

Rammen
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
It seems pretty simple to me. Don't record a five song EP, record a three song EP, or something like that. It's easier to get away with that. Half an album being a previous release is pretty lame, but if it's only a few songs and you add a decent bit of music (as well as improve on the already released stuff) then it'll work fine. The Strokes did it with their Modern Age EP. Is This It is considered one of the best albums of the past ten years, and three of its songs had already been released

King Turi
02-14-2011, 07:20 AM
If you re-record the songs for the full length, then you'll basically be selling a different version, because it won't be exactly the same both times.

I'd do it that way.

No problems with re-releasing the same song, it's more of re-releasing the exact same track that might piss some people off.

If they get a different version of the same songs, you'll have no problems, even if you don't really change much/anything.