Best Guitarist of the 80s?

PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitarist of the 80s?

Dmt8jr
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
ok everyone i know to get opinions on the BEST guitarist of the 80s speed metal, hair metal, era :D

i want to know the guitar players name, the band they were in, and why you like them best.

personally mine are

dave murray- iron maiden
george lynch- dokken
yngwie malmsteen- steelers
neal schon- journey

Vitor_vdp
01-29-2011, 11:22 AM
So where are your reasons?

!-twisty-!
01-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Dave Mustaine- Megadave... because he is a funny character and has some nice rythm playing + a very identifiable style.
James Hetfield- Metallica, vastly underated rythm player imho
Marty friedman- Cacophony... his unique phrasing and technical ability
Jason becker- Cacophony... being an awesome dude and composer and also for probably out doing malmsteen.

Got any reasons for your choices?

Dmt8jr
01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
dave murray is my #1 hands down because i grew up on iron maiden been listening to them since i was like 6 and im 17 now lol, as a guitar player i really appreciate his style and hes a really good person too

Weaponxclaws
01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Reb Beach- Winger: He is often overlooked but his tone and emotion are spot on with the songs he plays

George Lynch- Dokken: Badass riffs and tone

Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen: The reason I play guitar today. He revolutionized just about everything in guitar.

Steve Clark/Phil Collen- Def Leppard: Great team of guitarists. They layer off of each other to create some cool stuff.

Vivian Campbell-Dio, Whitesnake: Most people don't know who he is. He plays with Def Leppard now but as a lesser role... With Dio and Whitesnake, his guitar parts were simple but effective.

Kerry_King_1990
01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
friedman and becker destoryed with cacophony!
them 2 , plus my favorite guitarist (mustaine and king)

Cbolthouse
01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Slash - Guns N' Roses cause he's original and has a unique style of blues infused with rock. And he is the a guitar hero that everyone thinks of

Shoobywopdiddly
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
dave murray is my #1 hands down because i grew up on iron maiden been listening to them since i was like 6 and im 17 now lol, as a guitar player i really appreciate his style and hes a really good person too

I'm a MASSIVE Iron Maiden nut, Dave Murray is definately one of my favourite guitarists, but I'd say in terms of "best", Jason Becker or Shawn Lane (he was around in 80s)

Duv
01-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Not particularly into that kind of thing at all but EVH is recognised as an immense guitarist by players across the genres. A real guitarist's guitarist (like Jeff Beck).

I'd go with him too as best of the 80s.

heminder
01-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Van Halen.
modern guitar wouldn't be the same if not for him.

sock_demon
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
beckerfriedmangilbertbouilletlynchvaibeachkotzenmacalpine, etc.

Slicer666
01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
beckerfriedmangilbertbouilletlynchvaibeachkotzenmacalpine, etc.

:golfclap:

ron666
01-29-2011, 10:10 PM
That's easy, Randy Rhoads with Ozzy's band. Mostly because of the speedy guitar licks he used.

ron666

Andrew2k
01-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Randy, because his playing is just flawless and his tone is amazing!
Jake E Lee, cause Ozzy's Bark At the Moon album, what more can I say?
Jason Becker, because of his composing, playing, everything.
Marty Friedman, well its Marty?
Dave Mustaine, his insane riffs.
Yngwie had some great solos and songs, eg I'll see the light tonight, Save our Love..

bladedguitar66
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Night Ranger's Brad Gillis. He had an arsenal of guitar tricks unmatched by any guitarist of his time or since.

GroovyMoofy
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Paul Gilbert in Racer x?

Dmt8jr
02-16-2011, 02:30 AM
friedman and becker destoryed with cacophony!
them 2 , plus my favorite guitarist (mustaine and king)

if your a king fan i take it youd like my kkv bc rich ;D

acdcrocks21
02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
i dont know if this would fit in here but Angus Young from ACDC because he is f@&%n amazing!!

crazygnr1996
02-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Slash - Guns N' Roses cause he's original and has a unique style of blues infused with rock. And he is the a guitar hero that everyone thinks of
I second this, best EVER!

Raffi M
02-18-2011, 07:33 AM
These are some of my favorites. Most have already been said.

Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen- Laid the groundwork for many guitarists in the 80's. Influence can't be denied.

George Lynch- Dokken- Cool tone great riffs and some of the best solos in Glam Metal.

Vivian Campbell- Dio- Again his riffs and solos are amazing.

Marty Friedman- Megadeth- The best lead guitarist in Megadeth's history imo. Cacophony was great as well.

Dave Murray- Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden are awesome and he is one of the main reasons why.

Randy Rhoads- Ozzy Osbourne- Enough has been said already about his playing

Wolf Hoffmann- Accept- Knew when to be melodic and knew when to show off. One of my favorites.

Glen Tipton/K.K Downing- No egos between them. They worked as a unit and never really tried to upstage one another. Great team and both great players.

Flibo
02-20-2011, 03:45 PM
There are just too many. But... Well, firstly, Dave Murray was the man who got me into guitar.

Andy LaRocque with King Diamond, brilliant guitarist, amazing melodies

Vivian Campbell for his Dio stuff

Marty Friedman for his unique approach to guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen for obvious reasons

James Murphy for Death - Spiritual Healing

Roope Latvala for his Stone guitar badassery

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest for his vibrato

Alex Skolnick of Testament for heavy riffage combined with fast soloing

John Norum of Europe, he made some good songs

Alkaline 64
02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Paul Gilbert in Racer x?

+100, That band made Heavy Metal the coolest thing in the universe!

Johnnie Black
02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Warren DeMartini

Crazed Shredder
02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
+1 to Andy LaRocque and Paul Gilbert.

deeppurple97
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
George Lynch - Dokken, has a great tone and riffs
Slash - you know why ;)
Angus Young, he has also got many cool riffs
And of course Richie Blackmore, he is SOOOOOO underrated!!!! :confused: :wtf:

DaFjory
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Best, in terms of technical playing? Gilbert.
Best, in terms of good songs? Satriani.
Best, in terms of most profound impact on the guitar genre? Malmsteen.

Tough pick. I'll say Malmsteen because he managed to cover all 3 areas in some way. My absolute favourite, however? Satriani.

Metallicuh
02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen- He had is own unique style and changed the way many people look at guitar.

TomusAM
02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Meh, I think threads like these are kinda lame.

But whatever, my favorite has always been Randy Rhoads. He obviously wasn't one of the fastest players out there (not in comparison to later shredders such as Yngwie, or Satriani) , but his creativity and sense of melody made him the greatest (in my opinion). His solos really fit the song very well, and he wrote awesome and memorable music with Ozzy.

gamenerd323
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Meh, I think threads like these are kinda lame.

But whatever, my favorite has always been Randy Rhoads. He obviously wasn't one of the fastest players out there (not in comparison to later shredders such as Yngwie, or Satriani) , but his creativity and sense of melody made him the greatest (in my opinion). His solos really fit the song very well, and he wrote awesome and memorable music with Ozzy.
I agree. The reason randy is so good is because of the musical education he had. All these things like his melodic sense or ability to make to solo fit perfectly is i think because if you asked him he'd consider himself a composer as much as a guitarist.

MightyAri
02-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Um,but Satch was different??

johnnynausea
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Eddie Van Halen, come on enough said right? He's Eddie Van Halen

Steve Vai, pound for pound probbaly the only guy who can go note for note with eddie, plus he does some weird stuff that'll make your head spin, his creativity is second to none

Mick Mars: By far the most underrated guitarist in Rock N Roll Mick Rocks

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Do I really need to say more about that? It's STEVIE RAY VAUGHN for crying out loud.

The Guitar Twins, only true fans will know who I am talking about, there harmonies and dueling solos revolutionized Heavy Metal.

jibran
03-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Ah, too many to pick.

xTheHanx
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
There are just too many. But... Well, firstly, Dave Murray was the man who got me into guitar.

Andy LaRocque with King Diamond, brilliant guitarist, amazing melodies

Vivian Campbell for his Dio stuff

Marty Friedman for his unique approach to guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen for obvious reasons

James Murphy for Death - Spiritual Healing

Roope Latvala for his Stone guitar badassery

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest for his vibrato

Alex Skolnick of Testament for heavy riffage combined with fast soloing

John Norum of Europe, he made some good songs

John Norum is my favourite guitarist of all time!! i think he deserves more recognition than what he got. he has one of the most original and unique styles of playing. he has speed, technicality, melodies and so much soul and emotion into his works!!!!!

Twistedrock
03-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Malmsteen, because neoclassical is ****ing win, and shredding classical guitars is just badass

Jeff Waters because he is an awesome guy and waaaaayy too underrated

And he's not really '80s' as such but a very 80s style player, Michael Romeo because he is just awesome.

seymour_jackson
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Becker Friedman

Section 5
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned Nuno Bettencourt yet...simply an amazing player. Play With Me has one of the greatest 80's solos ever.

Lokki Saints
03-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Yngwie J. Malmsteen was the best in the 80's also the first true shredder. Becker, Friedman, Gilbert, Bouillet, McAlpine, Batio, Bettencourt, Beach and the likes were all imitators of Malmsteen's neoclassical playing. All have admitted that it was Malmsteen who influenced their playing and style. Rhoads wasn't a neoclassical player like some claim. He was a pentatonic blues rock player who dabbled with some harmonic minor runs that were blues hybrid patterns i.e. Crazy Train. Rhoads was great but not up to par with Malmsteen at that time. No one before Malmsteen truly utilized and perfomed fast arpeggios on the electric guitar like Malmsteen nor did they use the scales that Malmsteen did and not one guitar player even today has the stage presence of Malmsteen period!

Seeing Malmsteen play Eruption with his teeth back in the 80's as well as behind his head was a for sure sign that this guitarist was a forced to be reckoned with.

VinceLeeLawless
03-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P. One of the best guitarist I ever heard.
Slash-GNR Why slash? Look at slash I mean come on he is a f**king legend.
Mick Mars- Motley crue Still alive and kick'in @ss
Just to name a few... :devil:

VinceLeeLawless
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Wolf Hoffmann- Accept- Knew when to be melodic and knew when to show off. One of my favorites.

Balls to the walls MAN! :D :devil:

VinceLeeLawless
03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Where's Robbin Crosby??? He was amazing and kicked butt with his riffs. :headbang:

Miteour18
03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
No one knows who the best guitarist is? there many unkown guitar that are better technique?

Since its in the shred prog thread, paul gilbert is my favourite guitarist!

ron666
04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
My vote for best guitarist of the 80s would be Randy Rhoads because he is very innovative and fast at the same time. He revolutionized guitar playing when he came on the scen with Ozzy back in 1980.

ron666

treborillusion
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Slash

space aids
04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Jason Becker no doubt. Imagine how good he would be if he could still play guitar today :O

nargoth
04-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Jason Becker no doubt. Imagine how good he would be if he could still play guitar today :O

He would be so musically diverse now, he wouldn't just be playing widdly widdly shred.

repairmanjack
04-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Eddie Van Halen - The man basically told every single guitar manufacturer that your stuff isn't good enough for me. Then he told every amp manufacturer the same thing. Then he said what are pedals for? I don't want those. I'll use this strange wooden thing I call a guitar, plug it into this amp that I basically invented, and create something that people will try to emulate forever.

EVH is basically the ultimate in nonconformity, and yet he created a sound and style that everyone wants to copy, but nobody can. HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN???

Mr. Van Halen...my hat is off to you. Truly a one of a kind player.

bmac107
04-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Nuno Bettencourt
Reb Beach- thank god SOMEONE mentioned him. he was crazy with chords and could shred like hell. i dont quite know how to articulate my thoughts on him but just listen to songs like madalaine, loosen up, those kind of songs
Vito Bratta- how has no one mentioned him? him and mike tramp were like EVH and Roth or Slash and Axl. it's a shame white lion came on to the scene so late
EVH- obviously. he basically was the springboard for a good amount of the late 80's guitarists, including the first 3 on my list. He definitely helped make the 80's hair metal guitar style of guitar
Slash- In my opinion, guns n roses is the best band that ever was. Almost half of that is due to Slash's amazing bluesy, hard rock versatility. very unique

tarun8396
04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Slash!!
Kirk Hammett!!
Angus Young!!
Jimmy Page!

Goat Head Stew
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Randy Rhoads

/thread

katebrwn
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
nice question :)

Eddie Van Halen
Ace Frehley
Richie Sambora
Michael Angelo Batio

kate

ron666
04-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Eddie Van Halen - The man basically told every single guitar manufacturer that your stuff isn't good enough for me. Then he told every amp manufacturer the same thing. Then he said what are pedals for? I don't want those. I'll use this strange wooden thing I call a guitar, plug it into this amp that I basically invented, and create something that people will try to emulate forever.

EVH is basically the ultimate in nonconformity, and yet he created a sound and style that everyone wants to copy, but nobody can. HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN???

Mr. Van Halen...my hat is off to you. Truly a one of a kind player.

Yeah, that's true. Eddie is a phenom. He makes hs own guitars and amps and has a sound that nobody can approach. Maybe that's the key to success is to modify your guitar so that it sounds as unique as possible.

ron666

Rivethead
04-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Eddie Van Halen - for innovation and plowing the road for modern metal guitar

Randy Rhodes - the "gold standard" IMO

Wolf Hoffmann - my personal favorite... best tone, great composer of solo's, and a knack for weaving in the classical stuff.

Others were faster, louder, more technical, etc... but these three do it for me.

eMily311
04-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Slash because he can just whack out random awesome improvisations and he always sounds amazing when he plays :D

Raffi M
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Eddie Van Halen - for innovation and plowing the road for modern metal guitar

Randy Rhodes - the "gold standard" IMO

Wolf Hoffmann - my personal favorite... best tone, great composer of solo's, and a knack for weaving in the classical stuff.

Others were faster, louder, more technical, etc... but these three do it for me.

Glad to see Wolf Hoffmann getting some credit on this thread. He's really underrated when it come to 80's metal guitarists

Anyway i would also like to add Ronni Le Tekro, the guitarist for TNT, to my list. He's easily one of the best guitarists in glam metal/glam rock and i'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Rivethead
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Anyway i would also like to add Ronni Le Tekro, the guitarist for TNT, to my list. He's easily one of the best guitarists in glam metal/glam rock and i'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Great call! How TNT never attained mega-stardom in the US is beyond me… timing was perfect, strong material, and a machine gun shredder on lead guitar!

http://youtu.be/J3tnhjKcg-I

91RG350
05-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Eddie Van Halen for sure.... there is hard rock/metal before Van Halen, and hard rock/metal after.

Lots of people, artists and record companies, jumped on the bandwagon and began a cookie cutter approach to try and imitate the style and attitude. Some good music came out of that...but nobody could reach the bar set by Eddie, Alex, Dave, and Mike.

This striving to try and be as good evolved into hair metal... which was a bloated, indulgent wank. They took everything that was great about Van Halen, and screwed it totally up in trying to copy it. It became a joke. It is no coincidence that the grunge revolution happened at this very point.

The great artists of the era have stood the test of time because, while being huge Van Halen fans no doubt, didnt try to copy...they did their own thing...people like

Steve Vai- a totally unique approach to the instrument and musicianship
Joe Satrinai- as above. He was Vai's teacher, after all
Slash- the thing I really like about Slash is that he grew up in the hairspray, eyeliner, finger tapping, whammy bar era and yet decided to follow his own path that was different to everyone elses. Thats Rock and Roll. I cant admire Slash enough.
There are other artists too no doubt..these are the guys that come to mind for me right now.

Grunge probably had to happen. For the same reasons as punk in the 70's. The technical skill required to be at the forefront of music was too high for 99% of players. Rock needed to get back to basics. Rock needed to be real again. Because after all, elitism is very much NOT Rock and Roll

Word_Has_It
05-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Too many greats (not counting Van Halen, Schenker, GMoore, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Marino, Steve Morse, Al DiMeola, et. all of whom came out in the 70's):

Shawn Lane
Randy Rhoads (Ozzy)
Jake E Lee (Ozzy, Badlands)
Yngwie Malmsteen
Akira Takasaki (Loudness)
Ronni Le Tekro (TNT)
John Sykes (Tygers Of Pan Tang, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake)
Paul Gilbert & Bruce Bouillet (Racer X)
Ron Jarzombek (WatchTower, S.A. Slayer)
Chris Poland (Megadeth)
Marty Friedman (Hawaii, Cacophony)
Jason Becker (Cacophony)
Steve Vai (Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth)
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Diamond Darrell (Pantera)
Wolf Hoffmann (Accept)
John Norum (Europe, Don Dokken)
Billy White (WatchTower, Don Dokken)
Vivian Campbell (Dio, Sweet Savage)
Laurence Archer (Stampede, Grand Slam)
Criss Oliva (Savatage)
George Lynch (Dokken)
Chet Thompson (Hellion)
Jon Drenning (Crimson Glory)
Jeff Watson & Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
Adrian Vandenberg (Vandenberg, Whitesnake)
Richie Kotzen
Greg Howe
Zakk Wylde (Ozzy)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Andy Timmons (Danger Danger)
Vinnie Moore (Vicious Rumors, Alice Cooper)
Mark McGee (Vicious Rumors)
Geoff Gayer & Carey Howe (Leatherwolf)
Tony MacAlpine (M.A.R.S.)
Joey Tafolla (Jag Panzer)
Trevor Rabin (Yes)
Joe Holmes (Lizzy Borden)
David T. Chastain (Chastain, CJSS)
James Byrd (Fifth Angel)
Chris Impellitteri
Michael Angelo Batio

Wolfinator-x
05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
The unknown yet awesome guitarists I know of are Dann Huff of Giant and Harry K. Cody of Shotgun Messiah.

Otherwise, underrated yet pretty well known guitarists that are great are Izzy of GnR, Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme and Reb Beach from Winger. In the thrash area, Alex Skolnick.

There are definitely more to name, but I can't think of them all now.

AllJudasPriest
05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Criss Oliva. His guitar tone, style, flair and dynamics were unmatched at the time. If you listen to any Death Metal band from America from 1983-1987 and then any Death Metal band from Europe from 1988-1995, you are bound to hear them duplicating(Or trying to anyway) the tone, style, flair and dynamics of Criss Oliva. From 1979-1984, no guitarist was as heavy, brooding and evil sounding as Criss Oliva was.

1981 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFanO1c3UY) - Live
1979 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf7k0qRiqXA) - Demo

Sulfur183
05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
James Hetfield.. he do everything even lead.
Malmsteen.. duh.
Kirk Hammett.. you can call me a fanboy, idc Kirk is AWESOME.
Dave Mustaine.. despite being a VERY scary guy in the 80's he was a great guitarist.

Wolfinator-x
05-24-2011, 04:10 PM
OT: Have you guys heard about Vinnie Vincent? The same guy who was thrown out of KISS for being an asshole and who's bandmates from the band he formed afterwards left him for being an asshole? Well yeah, he was arrested for domestic battery.

seymour_jackson
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
becker

Wolfinator-x
05-26-2011, 12:33 PM
beckerOh god yes.

In the shredder/virtuoso area, I have to say Becker, Gilbert, Vai, Bettencourt, Van Halen, Timmons, Friedman, Malmsteen (despite all of his solos sounding the same), as well as countless others.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is also probably the best blues guitarist ever.

ron666
06-18-2011, 09:29 PM
That's easy, Randy Rhoads, Ozzy Osbourne, and the reason is because of his speed and precision of his guitar playing.

Randy rules.

ron666 :devil:

deeppurple97
07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Why does everybody mention George Lynch with Dokken, Lynch Mob was HIS style, he played what he wanted to hear, i donīt think that he had the same "freedom" in Dokken.... donīt get me wrong, i love dokken, but htats just my opinion....

doug15
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Michael Schenker . A guitarist you would actually want to listen to for his musicality not just to be impressed by his tricks.

EVH-SETH
07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Edward Van Halen

A god, a man, a legend.

Eddie is my absolute favorite guitarist of all time. He is the reason I play guitar to this day.
He revolutionized how the guitar was played, viewed and accessorized (set up)
He did things his way and when it wasn't perfect he pushed on to find that perfection.
How guitar tone itself was thrown inside out.
So many great licks, and riffs and solos.

Honestly though there is no fair way of saying who was the best, but TO ME Eddie Van Halen was the greatest guitarist of the 80's and still today.

That is all.

afrika18
07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Vivian Campbell--awesome phrasing, and he knows how and when to employ speed
Jake E. Lee--another great phraser, I also love his snappy technique

griffRG7321
07-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Best, in terms of technical playing? Gilbert.
Best, in terms of good songs? Satriani.
Best, in terms of most profound impact on the guitar genre? Malmsteen.

Tough pick. I'll say Malmsteen because he managed to cover all 3 areas in some way. My absolute favourite, however? Satriani.

+1 to all this. Although I'd use Malmsteen again for the first example.

MaddMann274
07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith: They are just awesome!! :peace: + they seem very nice too from what I saw in the Flight 666 Documentry. :D

Marty Friedman: I just love his unique phrasing and tone. :)

Tony Iommi: Love his dark riffs and bluesy metal like solos. <3

Ritchie Blackmore: He's a f***in' legend. That's why!! :haha:

:cheers:

Glass Prisoner
07-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Vivian Campbell--awesome phrasing, and he knows how and when to employ speed

His talent is wasted in Def Leppard!

lvd1
07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Lead- Slash
Lead With Crappy Band- George Lynch
One Guitarist Band- Randy Rhodes

Rythm- Hetfield, Mustaine (megadeth Era), Izzy Stradlin (wrote All That Gnr Shit On Appettite)