Should I stay or should I go?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go?

bagpipemetal
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
So I'm I'm in a band with a couple of my friends, now that that's established, here's the issues.

I play lead guitar, my lead playing is very much influenced by Post-Punk, The Edge, Indie Rock, The Doors, The Beatles, Folk Rock, Old Country and Blues, and basically anything from the 60's, I like to keep it clean and low key for the most part. However, the band, try as I my to incorporate my influences into the music, is heading in a post-grunge/Pop-punk/heavier alt-rock direction, I've not problem with this kind of music, but it's not really my forté. Also, my entire attitude and musicianship is much different, I guess I just act like an indie rocker, I don't jump around a ton, I don't headbang, I'm just not the rock n roll superstar type guy, but the other guys are so I'm really the odd man out. I've brought in some song ideas to the band, but it always ends up turning int to a distorted power-chord song. The guys in the band are all really cool, we have no personality problems, and i love hanging out with them, but I really feel like I'm being limited musically with them. I'm 18 and leaving for college this year, the other guys are 17, 16, and 16 so should I just stay until the fall and keep playing with them, (We will most likely record a demo EP in June) Or should I pull out now?

BeerBlood
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I suddenly have an urge to listen to The Clash.

Myshadow46_2
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
You may not dig the music that much, but do you dig just playing music with people you like and get along with? As you're likely to be leaving in the Fall I'd just enjoy playing music them.

Romper Stomper
01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Just tough it out for now. It will be over soon.

Xeus
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
just go with it man. As with regards to the whole standing out thing on stage, have a look at the dr strangeluv guitarist, he has his whole intense face thing going on which i suspect you could probably pull off

bagpipemetal
01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess I should just stick with it, but I don't want to end up holding them back. Since I'm going to be leaving and all, I don't want them relaying on me and then having to re-group after I leave.

Ethanb08
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I suddenly have an urge to listen to The Clash.

This.

I would probably raise some concerns of your own as to whats happening musically with the peices you introduce to the rest of the band... their input is useful but a band is not a dictatorship its a democracy... or at least it should be...

I'd stay till the fall cause if you raise concerns it might change for the better.

Good luck.

bagpipemetal
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
It is a democracy, I'm just the minority haha.

Ethanb08
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
It is a democracy, I'm just the minority haha.

but if there is tyranny of the majority it is no real democracy... :)

krypticguitar87
01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I just want to point out that if you listen to grunge they definately take alot of their influence from bands from the sixties and seventies, listen to nirvana you will hear the solos focus more on melody than speed, very similar to the style of the beatles if you ask me...
I always say to wory less about the style of music, and more about what sounds good, if everyone plays in a pop punk style, you can still have a melodic solo that gives the nod back to the music you enjoy. as for jumping around and head banging, you don't need to do that. hang back just a bit let them get the spot light and then you take it for the solo work.
my only question is: are they complainging about your style or lack of showmanship? if not then you don't have much of a problem, just mash your genres together and have fun with it.

Juared
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Man, i want to listen to the Clash too now.

bagpipemetal
01-31-2011, 11:58 PM
I just want to point out that if you listen to grunge they definately take alot of their influence from bands from the sixties and seventies, listen to nirvana you will hear the solos focus more on melody than speed, very similar to the style of the beatles if you ask me...
I always say to wory less about the style of music, and more about what sounds good, if everyone plays in a pop punk style, you can still have a melodic solo that gives the nod back to the music you enjoy. as for jumping around and head banging, you don't need to do that. hang back just a bit let them get the spot light and then you take it for the solo work.
my only question is: are they complainging about your style or lack of showmanship? if not then you don't have much of a problem, just mash your genres together and have fun with it.

I do like Nirvana, and Pop-punk and Green day, it's just not my preferred style.
Maybe I'm just worried about nothing, they're all cool guys, they don't want me to leave, So I can just work it out.

tehREALcaptain
02-01-2011, 01:39 AM
A: you should move around on stage. I don't care what you play, no one wants to see someone just stand there, no matter how well you play. If moving around a bit and playing is really that hard, you need to practice more. I primarily play jazz and blues (music where a crowd will let you just stand there and look 'in to it'), but if im performing im not going to just sit/stand there (possibly cause i started out playing what your playing now) .
B: Work it out with them. Work on playing things that aren't just 'alt rock'. also, theres really NOT a big difference (in the scheme of music and musical differences) between the likes of Green Day and the who (or the clash or U2), aside from the pre-teen girls attracted and amount of eye-liner worn. sorry if that pushes you off your high horse.

Natrone
02-01-2011, 01:47 AM
^ I agree to an extent with the second comment above. Really, the music you love is the music they love with less distortion and palm muting. Mixing in those 60s influences with post-grunge, pop punk, alternative rock sounds can have GREAT results.

For example, Amateur Lovers by Switchfoot. It's 60s rock with more distortion and a bit more of a pop sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GySz1iZjqw

Remember, the mark of a truly great band is the ability to take a bunch of genres and styles and make them all work together in a way that works and works well.

the_perdestrian
02-01-2011, 02:22 AM
it seems to me like one of your normal solos would fit in (adjust for a slightly faster tempo).

bagpipemetal
02-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm gonna stick around 'til the fall, maybe we'll make some awesome genre-bending music or something.

Mithaearon
02-01-2011, 05:27 AM
I do like Nirvana, and Pop-punk and Green day, it's just not my preferred style.
Maybe I'm just worried about nothing, they're all cool guys, they don't want me to leave, So I can just work it out.

There's way more to grunge than Nirvana.

If your band is into grungey alt rock and your into Folk rock, check out some of the Screaming Trees tunes, particularly the Sweet Oblivion and Dust albums and Mark Lanegan's solo tune The River Rise. Blues rock, check out Mad Season's Above album. AS I said there is more to Grunge than Nirvana, it had a wide area of influences that could fit in with your bands alt rock sound whilst still ticking the boxes you need.

SlackerBabbath
02-01-2011, 06:21 AM
I dunno, if you go, there could be trouble, but if you stay, it could be double....

sorry.

Serious answer, if you're not getting the level of enjoyment out of it that you crave, then there's no point in doing it.

So, that's a vote for 'go' in general, but your question was actualy should you go now or later. The way most musicians do it in an amicable split situation is to straight away inform the band of your intentions to leave, then offer to play out the shows they already have booked. The band for their part shouldn't be booking any more shows unless they have a replacement or can manage without one, you would be playing the shows until a replacement can be brought up to speed, but as soon as he's ready, you should politely step aside and let him get on with the job.

If however you have no shows booked, then you should leave immediately, which will cause the band to concentrate all their efforts into the finding and bringing up to speed of your replacement.

bagpipemetal
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I dunno, if you go, there could be trouble, but if you stay, it could be double....

sorry.

Serious answer, if you're not getting the level of enjoyment out of it that you crave, then there's no point in doing it.

So, that's a vote for 'go' in general, but your question was actualy should you go now or later. The way most musicians do it in an amicable split situation is to straight away inform the band of your intentions to leave, then offer to play out the shows they already have booked. The band for their part shouldn't be booking any more shows unless they have a replacement or can manage without one, you would be playing the shows until a replacement can be brought up to speed, but as soon as he's ready, you should politely step aside and let him get on with the job.

If however you have no shows booked, then you should leave immediately, which will cause the band to concentrate all their efforts into the finding and bringing up to speed of your replacement.

I talked to the guys about it and they all want me to stay until the fall, so I guess I will, it's not like I've anything to lose. My main question was whether they would want to continue with me since I'm leaving in the fall and I didn't want them relying on me too much since i'm going to be leaving.

Avalanchi
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Any band experience is good experience. :) If you don't have any other bands lined up, then stay put in this one but keep your options open. Focus on the little things that are UNIVERSAL such as stage presence, band communication, etc.

Playing a band with music you don't prefer is better than playing in no band at all. Experience is golden in this industry; people try to be picky and that's why a lot of people fail.

Who knows, maybe you'll play a show with this band and another band on the card plays music similar to the way you like to. You could take over their Lead Guitarists role if you're better, network, etc.

SlackerBabbath
02-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Any band experience is good experience. :)

This is true and well worth noting.

Many people think that if they practice alone it will make them good at jamming, it doesn't, jamming makes you good at jamming. And the more people you jam with, the more you will develop a natural instinct for jamming.
Similarly, people often think that rehearsing sets will make you good at gigging, it doesn't, it makes you able to play a gig, but playing lots of gigs is what makes you good at gigging.

These are the steps we take to full musicianhood (for want of a better term) there really are no short cuts, you need to develop each step before moving on to the next step.

krypticguitar87
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
There's way more to grunge than Nirvana.

If your band is into grungey alt rock and your into Folk rock, check out some of the Screaming Trees tunes, particularly the Sweet Oblivion and Dust albums and Mark Lanegan's solo tune The River Rise. Blues rock, check out Mad Season's Above album. AS I said there is more to Grunge than Nirvana, it had a wide area of influences that could fit in with your bands alt rock sound whilst still ticking the boxes you need.

no one ever said there wasn't more to grunge than nirvana, it was simply an example of a band that uses grunge style song and really melodic almost early rock and roll style solos.... there's no reason to be a gringe snob about it.