Where to look?

PDA

View Full Version : Where to look?

necrosis1193
02-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Short and sweet - I've enjoyed the whole "Solo artist doing all the instruments on his own" thing, but I miss playing with other people, I want to get a band together and play live once I finish the album I'm working on right now. Unfortunately though, I've never gone out and hired people - The two bands I was in I formed with friends, and the third I formed after being introduced by mutual friends and discovering another friend played drums.

So, where exactly would you guys recommend scouting for members and/or putting up flyers? Hoping to find a bassist, drummer, and a keyboardist, bonus points if the latter can also play guitar.

Zeletros
02-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Just look up on local music forums. And there's nothing wrong with doing solo work while playing in a band at the same time.

malephik
02-10-2011, 04:45 AM
my first instinct would be to try people I've already played with before

necrosis1193
02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Just look up on local music forums. And there's nothing wrong with doing solo work while playing in a band at the same time.

To the first - I'd consider that, but I like to meet people face-to-face and have a meal to gauge their personality over(Bad attitudes kill bands harder than bad musicians!) than meet them immediately for a jam through internet contact.

To the second - I'm aware, but I haven't played any of my music live since I haven't had a band to play with. :p: I want a solo band to take live, or if they can write, which I have crossed fingers for, a band to play in that I can also mix some solo work into.

my first instinct would be to try people I've already played with before

Unfortunately, every person I've played with who isn't occupied by college at the moment or their own band isn't exactly motivated - Rehearsals usually devolved to all of us sitting around, the bassist and myself wearing our instruments, one of us playing his iPod on shuffle, the three of us going "We could do this one!" "No we couldn't, I don't like it." "Well, could we do this one then?" "No, I can't play that." "Alright, how about some original material?" "You think people want to hear stuff we wrote?" and so on so forth until one of us went inside to whichever game console whoever we were practicing at the house of has in the living room.

So yeah, not exactly keen to look back. :p:

Punk_Ninja
02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
People you know.
If that fails, people who know people you know, ads in shops, ads online (arrange a jam or meeting), get in with some local bands and see if they know any people/have any people who are after a band. Etc.

It's all about perseverance really! I haven't got my solo project to the level where I want to gig on it yet, but my regular band and any other bands I've been in have all come about through various ways, being online ads, knowing people through other people, just knowing people, my reputation as a musician, it's hard to tell when or where you'll find the right people.

Just keep your ears to the ground ocnstantly!

necrosis1193
02-11-2011, 04:03 AM
People you know.
If that fails, people who know people you know, ads in shops, ads online (arrange a jam or meeting), get in with some local bands and see if they know any people/have any people who are after a band. Etc.

Friend of a friend - I may give that a shot, but unfortunately most people I know right now are my seniors by a year or two, and are currently occupied by college, as are most of their friends.
Shop ads - That could probably work once I get a license, but right now I already spoke with the owner of the only local shop, and he said no.
Online ads - I tried an ad online at one point in the past, everyone I spoke with wanted to jam the first time we met. Like I said, I like to meet the person non-musically first - A bad attitude is worse than a bad musician, you can cure one of them easily.
Getting in with local bands - That could work, plus it'd give me an excuse to see local shows.

It's all about perseverance really! I haven't got my solo project to the level where I want to gig on it yet, but my regular band and any other bands I've been in have all come about through various ways, being online ads, knowing people through other people, just knowing people, my reputation as a musician, it's hard to tell when or where you'll find the right people.

Just keep your ears to the ground ocnstantly!

Good to know that it's not just me and that this is a boat that there's more than a few people in! Will-do, and I appreciate the brainstorming and encouragement. :D

Four-Sticks
02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Here's an idea: record a very basic set-list of the songs you want to play, whether they're original or covers, and then think of a few words to describe the music you want to go for, then put an ad in craigslist and around your town to find musicians who fit the bill.
Don't compromise too much if a guy is really not going for what you want to go for. If someone's not fitting, let them know, and then let them go if they still can't pick it up. There's lots of bands out there that they can play in, it saves both parties lots of time if you're up front about everything you're going for and don't beat around the bush.

But yeah, other than that the rest of the posts sum up what you should do pretty well.

Avalanchi
02-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Go to local shows and hand out flyers to everyone you see there. Musicians go to shows all the time. And the people who tend to go to shows will probably know a fellow musician or two.

If any of the bands at the show are local talk to the bands themselves and see if they know anyone who plays something. Musicians are excellent at networking. If someone were to ask me about if I knew someone who played: Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Drums, etc.

I'd be able to refer them to about 4 different people in each section.

cheapr2keepr
02-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Go to local shows and hand out flyers to everyone you see there. Musicians go to shows all the time. And the people who tend to go to shows will probably know a fellow musician or two.

If any of the bands at the show are local talk to the bands themselves and see if they know anyone who plays something. Musicians are excellent at networking. If someone were to ask me about if I knew someone who played: Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Drums, etc.

I'd be able to refer them to about 4 different people in each section.
+1 ^^

Open mic nights are good too. The nice thing about the local shows and open mic nights is that music preference is kinda pre-screened a little bit.

I am also a big fan of face to face to get a gauge of personality. Network, agree on a jam date, find 2 songs that you know or will learn, and check the chemistry.

Declan87
02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Try to think of your missing positions as real people who you just don't know yet. The odds of finding these perfect people are so slim, you have to do everything in your power either to make sure they hear about you and contact you or to find and contact them. This means going down lots of different avenues to strengthen your chances of finding these people.

When my band was looking for a keyboard player, we tried putting ads up around college, on the internet/facebook, around the town, we went to open mic nights and musicians gatherings and so on, and we eventually found her through a friend of a friend (never say no to a jam ;))

Basically my advice is to follow all of the above advice.