P.A. Set up Problem

PDA

View Full Version : P.A. Set up Problem

ultimate-rocker
02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Hey guys. My band has a show coming up and were going to be playing with a couple of bands at my local high school. After combing all of our stuff we discovered we have
4 Powered Mixers
1 Un-powered Mixer
6 Un-powered Speakers
2 Powered Speakers

Heres what I thought might be the best way to use everything..

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/straightjacketpanic/PALayout.jpg

The squares in the corners are the schools speakers. They are on the wall by the ceiling.

Now.. One of the powered mixers is the schools and the music teacher doesn't like running amps and stuff through it so I was planning on using that mixer just for vocals..

I want to run all the instruments into one powered mixer and then sending the sound from that to the others so we can use more speakers to disperse the sound more..

Now I have a couple of questions..
1. What would you guys do differently.. Im open to new ideas.
2. Can I send the sound from the schools powered mixer to an un-powered mixer and would it still work?

Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help..

tatatotfolife
02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Let me start off by saying that unless your playing a large outdoor show, you should NOT mic the drums, and depending on the size of the amps, they shouldn't be mic'd either. A 10 watt bass amp? Well okay. But 100 watt tube halfstacks are probably a no go. The amps are close enough to the drummer for him to hear, although putting a monitor on him wouldn't be bad just in case there is a bass amp that needs to be mic'd.

axemanchris
02-11-2011, 12:59 AM
You NEVER want to run a powered signal into another amp or another mixer or you'll blow the inputs to smithereens.

Just like you wouldn't plug the output of a guitar head into another guitar amp and THEN to a speaker. You'd blow the crap out of amp #2.

You're in a highschool auditorium or something.... I'd agree with not miking the drums. I'd use the school PA for vocals. Use one of the powered mixers to run a pair of powered speakers (assuming they're compatible) and use those to run the bass and guitars.

CT

ultimate-rocker
02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Yea the problem is the stage has these huge thick curtains all around it so it sucks up a ton of the noise. And im not micing up the amps to be louder just to spread the noise so I don't have to blast my amp and you can only hear it if your in front of me..

But thanks for the tips on the PA's..

Do you guys have any tips on getting a good overall mix?

Phil Starr
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I've got to go out to enjoy myself but have a look at my guide to PA in the columns this is part three http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_three_-_monitors.html best way to access them is through my profile though. Have a read through anyway and I'll come basck with some specific advice.

How many people in your band and what do they play? What backline do you have?

ultimate-rocker
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
There is 3 people in my band. I play guitar and I'm the lead singer. We have a bassist and he does some backing vocals and we have a drummer. Back line would be my B-52 ls-100. The drummer and my bassist uses a gt-10 and we just di him into the mixer.

Phil Starr
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
OK you need to mix 2x mic's, bass and possibly guitar. I seriously advise you against miking drums at your present level of expertise. This is already at quite a high level of complexity.

You only need a single mixer! choose one that has at least 2 mic inputs and 2 line inputs. This will probably be all of them so choose the best. Then choose the best two passive speakers and use these as your PA.

Your guitar amp is way too powerful if you turn it up so don't. You should be no louder than the drums so get the bass player to stand out where the audience will be and then turn it down until he tells you the drums can be clearly heard over you. You can't judge this from your position as guitar amps are very directional.

It is unconventional not to have a bass amp but it is done. You could take the signal from the bass effects into one of the powered speakers and use that as a backline amp at a pinch or put it through your stage monitors.

If you are singing and the instruments are playing at concert levels you won't be able to hear yourselves sing, as a result you WILL sing out of tune. You have to have some way of monitoring your singing. Use the powered speakers as stage monitors. Do this even if they are better than the main PA speakers. Place them in front of both mic's pointing back at you just like you see every stage act do. With the speakers in this position the bassist will hear the bass through the monitors so you can play without a bass amp if you find that easier.

Have a read through the manual for the mixer. You can usually download these if they have been lost. You can often do a separate mix for the monitors using the effects send controls which are sometimes labelled monitor. If this is too complex, and it probably will be given time constraints, just feed the same signal through the monitors as you are through the PA. there will probably be an output on the mixer labelled either Aux or Mon or Control room which is what you need to feed to your monitors.

If you can organise it it is better to feed the guitar into the mixer and turn it down even lower (because it can now come from the monitors too) agian this may be a step too far for this gig.

To summarise you are going to put two mics and bass into the mixer (possibly guitar as well) this has a built in amp which will power two PA speakers. You will then feed some of this mixed signal taken from a separate output on the mixer and feed it into the two powered speakers which will sit on their sides just in front of you so you can hear your vocals and the bass.

Don't leave it to the night to try this out. Set it up just as if you were on stage at a practice.

Get a mate to mix for you. He needs to make sure the instruments all match the drummers volumes and that the lead vocals can be well heard over the instruments with the backing vocals just underneath.

Good luck