Need Advice: Drummer wants to Switch to Rhythm Guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Drummer wants to Switch to Rhythm Guitar

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello Folks!

Looking for input about what to do with this band situation. I am the guitarist for my original band System S.O.L which I formed about 6 months ago. We are a 4 piece consisting of me on guitar, drummer, vocalist/rhythm, bass guitar. For the six months we have been together, we have accomplished many things like radio play, big venues, placing first in band competitions… etc. I love working with these guys because they are good musicians. The drummer in particular is very gifted (he can play almost any instrument with equal ability). This is also a "double-edged sword" because now, he decided, out of the blue that he wants to switch to rhythm guitar instead. I am conflicted on what to do because:

1) Need to find a new drummer
2) We have shows lined up already
3) The music doesn't rally need 3 guitar parts

Basically I want him to stay on the drums and the other members share this feeling. What would be the best way to tell him this? Thanks in advance

shikkaka
02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
He can either stick with a successful band on drums, or you need to get a new drummer. thats the way I see it.

EDIT: If he needs to leave to do what he wants, everyone needs to understand that its mutual and necessary for everyone to get what they want.

Also, where is van hammersmith at?

The9
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I would tell him to stay as the drummer, he is ibviously your drummer for a reason, and i think he wants to change as he is not getting enough attention.

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
He can either stick with a successful band on drums, or you need to get a new drummer. thats the way I see it.

EDIT: If he needs to leave to do what he wants, everyone needs to understand that its mutual and necessary for everyone to get what they want.

Also, where is van hammersmith at?

I would have done this already but finding another drummer will set us back to the beginning. I don't want to lose our show dates for February and March.

Das Turnip
02-11-2011, 01:34 PM
You could ask if he wants to play guitar in a new band or a side project; that way he gets to play guitar and can still drum for you.

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I would tell him to stay as the drummer, he is ibviously your drummer for a reason, and i think he wants to change as he is not getting enough attention.

He's a great guy, awesome musician but a little unfocused. I also think that he want's to become the rhythm guitarist so he can hijack our direction towards a Heavy Metal band. Right now we are Alt Rock.

The plot thickens.

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
You could ask if he wants to play guitar in a new band or a side project; that way he gets to play guitar and can still drum for you.

^^ Good one. I will bring this up tonight.

icronic
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Well I would sit down and try to have a realistic talk with the guy.

3 guitar players very rarely works, so it would mean that your vocalist would have to give up the guitar. This could be a positive thing if he's an equal or better guitarist than the vocalist. It would also mean that your vocalist could put on a little more of a stage show instead of being glued to a mic.

That said, it would mean you'd have to find a new drummer who was equal to the old one, and once you did that this guy would be stuck on rhythm guitar. It would also mean less money for each of you, as you'll have an extra person to pay at the end of the night.

So talk to him. Lay out the good and bad and see if he has a reasonable solution to the potential problems.

shikkaka
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I would have done this already but finding another drummer will set us back to the beginning. I don't want to lose our show dates for February and March.

If thats the way its going to go though... You might ask him to do the shows untill you find another drummer. Also, the idea about having him work on a side project is a good one. You just have to insure he prioritizes your band.

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Well I would sit down and try to have a realistic talk with the guy.

3 guitar players very rarely works, so it would mean that your vocalist would have to give up the guitar. This could be a positive thing if he's an equal or better guitarist than the vocalist. It would also mean that your vocalist could put on a little more of a stage show instead of being glued to a mic.

That said, it would mean you'd have to find a new drummer who was equal to the old one, and once you did that this guy would be stuck on rhythm guitar. It would also mean less money for each of you, as you'll have an extra person to pay at the end of the night.

So talk to him. Lay out the good and bad and see if he has a reasonable solution to the potential problems.

^^^ Points taken! at the beginning of the project, I specifically made the point of having a maximum of 4 members. Easier to manage and everyone is tasked to the their job fully.

jsantos
02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
You might ask him to do the shows untill you find another drummer.

^^ I will let him know this too. Hopefully, he changes his mind and stay on drumming.

Sitkemkev
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Im the drummer of a trio, and we have the vocalist/guitarist, and the bassist too. I'm better at bass than the bassist, and i am pretty equal with the guitarist, if not a little better at some areas. Dont have the drummer take over spots, but he has the ability to bring ideas to the table. For me, I bring my guitar to practices, so I can plop in a few riffs for the guitarist to consider. I have considered requesting to go to rythm or lead guitar, but I know the problems that may cause.

Tell him the consequences of having become rythm guitarist, how having to find a person would make things messy, especially with gigs. Four people is a golden number, especially with the vocalist on guitar too.

jsantos
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Im the drummer of a trio, and we have the vocalist/guitarist, and the bassist too. I'm better at bass than the bassist, and i am pretty equal with the guitarist, if not a little better at some areas. Dont have the drummer take over spots, but he has the ability to bring ideas to the table. For me, I bring my guitar to practices, so I can plop in a few riffs for the guitarist to consider. I have considered requesting to go to rythm or lead guitar, but I know the problems that may cause.

Tell him the consequences of having become rythm guitarist, how having to find a person would make things messy, especially with gigs. Four people is a golden number, especially with the vocalist on guitar too.

Thanks for the advice SitkemKev, and everyone.

After discussing the issue with the drummer. I was able to convince him to remain as a drummer. I gave him the reasons you people pointed out—To finish what was started and to commit to the instrument chosen. Also, the drummer agreed to the fact that changing roles will set us back with our timely goals. So everyone is in sync again, getting ready for another Battle of The Bands for March.

Thanks for your support.

Thereisnotry
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM

This.

I'm not sure how it is in your area, but where I play good drummers are INCREDIBLY hard to find. If your drummer is a beast then he should stay behind the kit. He has some urges to play guitar to get out, so like Turnip said, start a side-project with him on rhythm. If he wants to play metal, then make it a metal side project. Sometimes playing another style can really put the creativity back into your other project.

You obviously don't have to dedicate as much time to it, but it could be a benefit everyone in the band by giving you all a chance to try out new instruments and styles of playing.

ethan_hanus
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Write a few songs that don't involve drums, and have 3 guitar parts, like a abstract acoustic song, I love it when metal bands do acoustic songs, they are usually very good.

Then, the drummer still maintains the position of drummer for the metal songs, but he can still play the guitar when you go into the acoustic songs.

JonChorba
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Why is it that drummers have to be so difficult? :)

axeman80
03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Can anyone else in the band play drums? If so, you could let the drummer play guitar on a song or two and switch off. That may be enough to "scratch his itch." Maybe you have songs with less complex drum parts that someone else could handle.

Just a thought.