Hi and a bit of advice

PDA

View Full Version : Hi and a bit of advice

davecooper
02-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi all. After more years than I care to remember strumming an acoustic while the kids grew up, I have at last (courtesy of a very generous family at christmas) got myself electric again. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a Vox VT40+ Amp and I am thrilled with both. At the moment I am finding it hard to put the guitar down.

Compared with the little practice amp I had about 20 years ago, the Vox is incredible, ideal for someone like myself just starting again. My son, who plays with a band, suggested both the amp and the LP, and he got it bang on.

What I would like to know is, what is the best way to find amp settings when trying to copy guitar sounds with such amps? I am tending to flick through the settings randomly, hoping I'll stumble accross what I want, but there must be a more logical way of doing this. I know a lot of it is trial and error, just wondered whether there is a shortcut.

One of the first songs I have been getting to grips with is Parissienne Walkways. I was playing with amp settings for this when I heard Gary Moore had died. Put a bit of downer on proceedings I must say.

Anyway, hello all again and I look forward to picking all you seasoned guitarists brains in these forums. Cheers.

Tangerineseeker
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi,

what i would suggest is to just put all the effects on zero and then one by one see how each effect sounds at half and then full power. It should just give you a picture in your mind how that effect will sounds even before you use it. Like that you dnt always have to try all effects but you can already roughly chose with which ones you will use.